HD600 grills on the HD580 revisted
Aug 21, 2004 at 2:24 AM Post #16 of 24
Oh, but of course!

The sound waves that emanate outward from the drivers will impact the grilles, which by design will resonate at a frequency of 2532.7 Khz.

The portions of the emanated sound waves from the drivers that are contained at that frequency will thus cause the grille material to produce micro-resonances, which will in turn produce a lattice deconstruction cascade in the structure of the alloy.

Given enough time, the cascade will reach the critical point of deconstruction (CPD), and the alloy will degenerate into a heterogeneous material with traces of beryllium and strontium.

As it is well known, beryllium and strontium will, over time, combine into Striontium berylliaide, which is one of the most efficient wave dampening materials known to man.

The net effect of this will be a different response of the grilles to the outgoing sound waves from the drivers, to the point that the reflected waves that go *back into* the earcup *through* the diaphragm will be different than upon initial conditions.

LOL
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2004 at 2:36 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Distroyed
Uh oh, don't give Mike fuel for the fire; grill burn-in!!

Mike, who's Mike?
Hmmmmmmmmm...
>> Checks ignore list... Oh, that Mike!
tongue.gif

Aug 21, 2004 at 7:59 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
As it is well known, beryllium and strontium will, over time, combine into Striontium berylliaide, which is one of the most efficient wave dampening materials known to man.

Striontium Berylliaide is overrated. Teryllium Polycarbonate (TPC) is preferred for its damping properties although admittedly difficult to formulate. That is certain to change over the next 3-5 years and Asian manufacturers will eventually get a handle on the process. After that, we'll find TPC in almost everything. Until then--Striontium Berylliaide is, of course, just fine for most intended uses.

Aug 21, 2004 at 2:22 PM Post #19 of 24
In all seriousness folks, doing some more extended listening between the different grills, at least to my ears has shown that there is indeed an improvement in air and removal of bass congestion.
Like most quality audio components, subtle improvements may not be immediately obvious until the component is removed from the system, only after extended listening. I’ve found this true with especially with cables where brief listening comparisons can drive you loony.
So why bother? It makes the HD580’s a real bargain for any one wanting to get a quality set of phones that can be improved later on, sonically and esthetically, by getting a new cable or by just ordering the better grills which IMO make the HD580's look more sophisticated than the HD600’s with their marble finish.

Aug 22, 2004 at 3:39 AM Post #22 of 24
GlowWorm,

I like the HD 580s grilles myself and the possibility of denting the metal grilles has me sold on the plastic ones. Of course I've seen nicer. I actually think the HD 590s grilles look better than the HD 600s. Too bad it doesn't sound better, not to most people anyway. I wonder, what would it be like to get the HD 650s and downgrade it with the HD 580s grilles? Pehaps it would acquire a warmer, fuller bass.

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Sep 1, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #24 of 24
I personally like the look of the 580 grills. kinda vintage style. But can someone link me to information about replacing the 580 cord? Ive heard about it, but no nothing of the price, advantages, etc. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhelm
I personally like the look of the 580 grills. kinda vintage style.

I agree. I think the 600 grills look like cheap car speaker grills.
eek.gif

yep, I think too, that the 580 grills look much better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back