HD600 for...Beyer T70p??
Jul 29, 2013 at 12:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

fcbarcelona

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Three weeks ago I got my first hifi phone, the HD600 paired with the O2 amp. As much as I love this hp, I realized that I don't have too much time to use it and I would be better off buying something more portable. I'm in college, but I skip most of my classes because I prefer studying the material by my own in the library, so I need a closed can with the ability to be taken to different places.

I am contemplating the Beyerdynamic T70p because I have the impression that it has a similar sound signature with the HD600 that I love (tell me if I am wrong)
What I appreciate the most is the detail and clarity. For me, a good treble and mids is more important than bass (as long as bass is presented i'm happy), I tend to lean over the bright side. Soundstage must be ok, but I am not expecting to get something found in an open can. Good isolation and comfort is always a plus :)

My intention is to sell my current senns to fund a used T70p which I see can be found in the 300-400 price range. I would also consider other options in this price range (I don't mind to get a second hand can) given my sound preferences. The hp would be run with the O2 at home, but if I am in the library or somewhere else it'll be unamped (at least for some months).

What do you guys think? After having the HD600, I really want to keep the sound quality so if the T70p is a clear downgrade I will look for other options.

Your help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Jul 29, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 8
Disclosure: I have the t70's and hd650's.

Both are very enjoyable and I find the t70s extremely good for classical music where I find their reproduction of the music extremely detailed. My t70s are used on my office rig as they are closed but I still find their soundstage acceptable. Some people say the bass is weak and yes, compared to the hd650's they do not have the same impact, but it is enjoyable none the less.

Overall, I would say the t70 are touch over priced as you cant replace the cable easily if it gets damaged (bad for portable) but the sound quality is very good.

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Disclosure: I have the t70's and hd650's.

Both are very enjoyable and I find the t70s extremely good for classical music where I find their reproduction of the music extremely detailed. My t70s are used on my office rig as they are closed but I still find their soundstage acceptable. Some people say the bass is weak and yes, compared to the hd650's they do not have the same impact, but it is enjoyable none the less.

Overall, I would say the t70 are touch over priced as you cant replace the cable easily if it gets damaged (bad for portable) but the sound quality is very good.

Hey Autobat,

Which one do you think is more detailed, the hd650 or the t70s? also, do you think this two are in the same league as for sound quality? I might be replacing my hd600's in one month but for now I want to have some insights for the possible candidates.

Thanks alot!

Quote:
Heya,

Maybe look into the Shure SRH940 if you want what the T70 does, but for half the cost.

Otherwise, maybe consider the AKG K550 or Logitech UE6000?

Very best,

Hey Mal,

I was expecting more from this cans as they are like the little brother of the T5p lol. I already tried the SRH940 AND K550 and although I think they sound pretty good, I feel like I would be loosing too much coming from the HD600. Do you have in mind any closed and portable headphone that is as detailed as the HD600 as possible and can be get in the 300-450 price range? I don't mind if its a used can.

Thanks man!

Jul 30, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #5 of 8
Interesting questions.  These are the only 2 headphones that I have ever owned so my experience is limited sorry.

I would say the t70 are much more analytical, and by which I mean, they highlight issues in recordings much more than my HD650's.  This however really makes classical music come to life with a good recording.  This could also be compounded by the fact that I run them on very different amps, T70's run on a M1 HPA (office rig) and the HD650's on a WA6 (home rig).

My overall feeling on the two is that I enjoy listening to music on both to be honest.  Both have a sweet spot in terms of what they are good at but I do stand by the feeling that the t70 does come across as a little overpriced for the build quality due to the inability to replace a broken cable easily.

Jul 30, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Interesting questions.  These are the only 2 headphones that I have ever owned so my experience is limited sorry.

I would say the t70 are much more analytical, and by which I mean, they highlight issues in recordings much more than my HD650's.  This however really makes classical music come to life with a good recording.  This could also be compounded by the fact that I run them on very different amps, T70's run on a M1 HPA (office rig) and the HD650's on a WA6 (home rig).

My overall feeling on the two is that I enjoy listening to music on both to be honest.  Both have a sweet spot in terms of what they are good at but I do stand by the feeling that the t70 does come across as a little overpriced for the build quality due to the inability to replace a broken cable easily.

so you think the t70's are overpriced just because of the non-removable cable? I might give it a try in a couple of weeks.

Jul 30, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #7 of 8
My opinion is that any headphone should have a removable cable, especially if its portable.  Its inevitable the cable will break before the drivers so when spending several hundred dollars I would prefer to not have to fix with a soldering iron.  

However, when/if the cable does need replacing you just end up doing a removable cable mod on them anyway, but I still feel like it should be standard on a set of cans like these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back