HD600 "dark"?
Oct 24, 2001 at 10:53 AM Post #61 of 80
I'm starting to put two and two together, and I guess ultimately MacDEF's right...HD-600s are probably all about system matching.

MacDEF says he just doesn't hear any darkness or veils or whatnots in the HD-600s...well, let's take a look at his front end.
wink.gif
Now I've never heard any of these items, but I have read quite a number of reviews on them by now.

Headroom Max 2001 = solid state amp = if not "solid state bright", then definitely very clean sounding.

Kimber PBJs interconnects= bright and somewhat thin from reviews I read

Sony SCD-333ES = a signature Sony brightness/dryness from reviews I read

What I'm digging at hear is I think MacDEF's front end combines together to be a rather clean sounding system. Out of the headphones that are out there, the HD-600s would actually be one of the few headphones you would WANT to compliment such a system (I still believe they are by nature one of the warmer headphones out there, regardless of which system). Since it's a very clean sounding system, I don't think there will be warmth coming from the front end. Given that, I don't think the HD-600s are going to exhibit any warmth or darkness...rather they're going to give off a very clean sound. I'm not sure where and what it was with, but I do remember Sennheisers sounding this certain way before (I believe it was with the Grado RA-1), so I know it's very possible for Sennheisers to NOT sound dark/overwarm.

Now in my own setup, I know for a fact that the Denon is a warm CDP. That could very well be what's making HD-600s warm to me. I don't think any of my gear is clean sounding, since I actually built my system originally to be on the warm side for vocals. It's only recently that I began investing in some cleaner gear like a McCormack Micro Drive.

Comments on some more people's systems maybe?

Oct 24, 2001 at 1:49 PM Post #62 of 80
Vert,
Sounds like a very reasonable analysis!

Oct 24, 2001 at 2:48 PM Post #63 of 80
Let's see...
MSB Link DAC II w/ Dan Wright mods: Clean
Max: Clean
Belden cables: Clean, slightly dark (compared to something like DH Labs, at least)

580s: Not veiled, slightly rolled-off highs

Sounds about right to me.

Oct 24, 2001 at 3:53 PM Post #64 of 80
RD-VH7 HDCD-->M950i 1m-->OBH-11SE-->HD580-->ears

RD-VH7 HDCD-->M950i 1m-->(Y)-->M400MkII 1m-->SAC K1000-->AKG K1000-->ears

RD-VH7 HDCD-->mono sub line out via TRS gold ic's to office sub (modd'd Sony 12" self powered sub)--> whole body, ears included

RD-VH7 HDCD line out:clean, neutral, musical, tending to very very slightly warm

M950i:neutral, transparent

OBH-11SE:neutral, transparent, depending upon jack#/headphone combo.

M400MkII:neutral, transparent

Sony 12" modd'd sub:active cross @45Hz, good to 24Hz in 8'x8' office.

SAC K1000:neutral, transparent

AKG K1000: ruler flat, 50Hz-20KHz +/-0.75db

Sound: WoW
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2001 at 4:14 PM Post #65 of 80
You guys are really starting to scare me with this HD600 analysis. I am worried now that I bought too dark a headphone. (In relation to the fact that I probably have what you all would call an overly bright amp/speakers combo). I guess I should just chill and wait until I get the Corda and see where it takes me......

I don't want to match up a "darker" sounding headphone system with a "brighter" sounding main system.
eek.gif

Oct 24, 2001 at 4:45 PM Post #67 of 80
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Right, - I could also say "full-range."

What I mean is that my speakers may not be so "full-range," and I'm concerned that the HD600 Corda system will sound too disparate from amp/speakers combo. Perhaps a better choice would be HD590 and the Corda.

I haven't heard either, I would love to hear the differences between the HD600 and the HD590. I also need to be careful, as lately, I have been concerned enough about the "brightness" of my main speakers/amp combo to consider purchasing more "full-range" speakers.

evil_smiley.gif

Oct 24, 2001 at 4:51 PM Post #68 of 80
Quote:

Perhaps a better choice would be HD590 and the Corda.

Maybe if you want your ears to bleed
wink.gif

Just kidding, but in all seriousness, the 590s are generally considered to be very bright, and the Corda is a solid state amp, so you'd probably be going overboard in the brightness with that pairing.

Vert: I agree completely. I think "clean" is a good way to describe my system. I listen to Grados and the V6 on it (both which are found to be "bright" by some people) and never feel that they're too "bright." I listen to the HD600 on it, and never feel that they're "dark." The Etys sound so neutral it's scary
wink.gif
The Sony consumer line is known for its dry/bright sound, but the ES/SACD line is known for its rather neutral presentation. The Max is also known to be one of the most neutral headphone amps out there. The PBJs are considered to be neutral-to-bright. So overall I would say "clean" is a good adjective.

Oct 24, 2001 at 4:56 PM Post #69 of 80
The HD600 with Corda is a great combination, definitely not dark -- I would say neutral if anything. I consider it one of the best budget (relatively speaking!) combinations out there, especially if you order both from Jan. So don't be worried.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2001 at 7:16 PM Post #70 of 80
Thanks Slindeman,

That sounds like good news on the "neutrality" of the Corda/HD600 combo. We'll see what happens when I get it going.
I guess my main worry is not on the "neutrality" of the Headphone system, but it's comparison to the "neutrality" of the main system. What I'll do is check it out after burn in; if the Headphone system is "darker" than the main system, - and it bothers me, - I'll try to "fix" it with different interconnects before I run out and buy either new speakers or new headphones.

Thanks,

Oct 24, 2001 at 7:51 PM Post #71 of 80
Just to chime in...

My current setup involves HD600's via OBH-11 (regular edition (one headphone jack)). My source is a big kenwood 200 disc jukebox, cause I'm lazy.

Although I haven't much to compare it with, I have found the set up to be very neutral, not dark, but seemingly aimed towards jazz/ochestra/instrumental music.

However, I do listen to some electronic music, such as source direct (who are not entirely my namesake). Source Direct's music is very dark, however it also contains space, and some harsh treble. My HD600s are capable of providing me with the full range of sound that is incorporated in S.D.'s music. However, for listening to electronic music, I think I would prefer a less accurate headphone that is known to be more dark than the HD600, such as the Beyer 770.

Frequently in electronic music, accurate speakers/headphones seem to be more annoying than rewarding due to some corners being cut in the production of the music. For instance in a song by Bogdan Raczynski, I can hear his drum loop begin, and end with a click, which is pretty lame. On a Squarepusher album, I can hear talking between each song, that I'm pretty sure isn't supposed to be there.

Maybe I should listen to drum and bass through a tube amp to smooth it out, and save solid state for the jazz, or maybe the other way around, except get some 770s for the D&B.....
confused.gif

Oct 24, 2001 at 9:56 PM Post #72 of 80
MacDef:

Don't listen to those that call the HD600s Dark or muddy or veiled or whatever term. Yes they are Dark in comparison to Grado...but Grado's equivelants are not remotely accurate...placing emphasis on the frequency extremes...in other words their bright RS1 and 2 are exempt from my criticism.

One of the best speakers on earth are the Martin Logan Statements...and the HD600s give that same kind of Electrostatic sound...indeed and electrostat from Stax is notably a lesser can in mid range magic.

While system matching is important...especially having a powerful enough amp, and well rounded fast source...what you're used to will prevail.

In other words...If you love that analytic in your face sound...the the HD 600s, Martin Logan...and the entire B&W Nautilus line, Reference 3a won't be your cup of tea. If however you love Cerwin Vega, Paradigm JBL etc then by all means the HD600 is not for you.

This is not to degrade Grado or Sony...For Dance music there is much to appreciate in those cans...they make you get up and dance...but for all complex works with classical music and the reproduction of the human voice...then baby the only cans to own are the 580 or 600(not familiar with AKG).

I have not yet heard a system that can do it all better in every area. Not even the Orpheus...as good as it is for some dance music I'm sure a Sony can have you more involved. Then again that might be all the Sony can do.

The 600s sound a bit more subdued with the MG HEAD than with a SS amp...But that is a choice I made...someone else might like a top flight SS amp so nothing is masked in the slightest...but I believe you can do a lot more with a tonally accurate headphone than one that has some false signiture to start with.

Oct 29, 2001 at 4:50 AM Post #73 of 80
I have to add something to this thread that I found amusing. I was reading the various Stereophile comments on the Grado RS-1, and the most common adjective used by three different reviewers was "dark"
wink.gif
(Keep in mind that they proceeded to rate it "Class A."

Oct 29, 2001 at 5:15 AM Post #74 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
I have to add something to this thread that I found amusing. I was reading the various Stereophile comments on the Grado RS-1, and the most common adjective used by three different reviewers was "dark"
wink.gif
(Keep in mind that they proceeded to rate it "Class A."

So I guess the HD600s are in good company!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back