HD600 "dark"?
Oct 23, 2001 at 6:30 PM Post #46 of 80
I've heard my HD600 on both the old and new Max, and I'd have to say I think it's more than a amp issue. These are my favorite phones but if I could change them, I'd lighten up the midbass a tad and bring up the upper midrange and treble a bit. The last thing I'd complain about would be a lean low end, as I find the opposite to be true. They are leaner than a Sony V6, but the V6 is a little heavy in the low end for me, although they do go quite low.

I would like to find a phone I liked a lot better than the HD600, and I've listened to quite a few, but so far I haven't found it. I've found ones that had certain aspects I liked better, but not one that I liked better all around.

Quote:

The HD 600 might be dark compared to Grados, but compared to
the warmth of my treasured Beyer 770/990 Pros, it's thin, without heft and presence.

Tomcat's comments about these in the past had me wanting to give these I try, but after this statement I think I'll cross them off my list.

Oct 23, 2001 at 6:43 PM Post #47 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by KurtW

I would like to find a phone I liked a lot better than the HD600, and I've listened to quite a few, but so far I haven't found it. I've found ones that had certain aspects I liked better, but not one that I liked better all around.

Agreed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Brian.

Oct 23, 2001 at 7:44 PM Post #48 of 80
Quote:

That's a very good way to put it, Kurt.

Oct 23, 2001 at 8:32 PM Post #49 of 80
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif
Exactly my feelings as well

Overall, I have also noticed the slight fuzz Vertigo and BriantF mentioned, i certainly think there is a slight veil over the details. I find the frequency response very flat overall, with no obvious peaks or drastic roll off. I would prefer a little more treble, though it is far from "dark" IMO. Also, the bass is good, though it seems to roll off around 75 hz, without the deep extension of some other headphones.

But i'm really nitpicking here, as kurt W said, there are quite a few headphones that can beat it in certain areas, but i certainly haven't heard anything that is as balanced/well rounded as the HD600's.

Oct 23, 2001 at 9:43 PM Post #50 of 80
Well, here's my late contribution to this thread. I also don't hear any veil over the highs, though I do think they're a tad rolled-off, especially compared to something like the V6s. Also, the bottom end is far from lean, though it certainly isn't the punchiest in the world. And I'll also agree w/ KurtW, there's no other headphone I like better so far. Now, if Etymotic made headphones and not just canalphones, it might be a different story, but that's beside the point.

BTW, I'm referring to the 580s, not 600s, though the difference is probably negligible.

Oct 23, 2001 at 10:05 PM Post #51 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1

He's cool with me though, good for homework times when you can't have Britney Spears singing in ya ear.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I thought people didn't listen to Britney Spears, they just watch Britney Spears?
tongue.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 23, 2001 at 10:34 PM Post #53 of 80
sordid, I haven't heard the 590s personally. However, from reading reviews of them, they appear to be too bright. They were supposed to be the successor to the 580, but so many people preferred the 580 that they kept making them and just added the 590 to the line.

Oct 23, 2001 at 10:53 PM Post #55 of 80
vertigo-1: Kenny G makes some.....uh......music. I think. If you like it, that's cool. Just don't think it's the height of instrumental music
smily_headphones1.gif
Tho orchestral stuff is very good - still don't see how you think any headphone can do it well.....
rolleyes.gif
meh.

You should buy John Coltrane's Ascension disc if you want to hear the OPPOSITE of Kenny G, while staying with a sax.

Seriously.

You'd prolly hate it.....but it would be good stuff to demo cans with, methinx - AND it would confound you......just one disc.....so much fun......
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2001 at 11:11 PM Post #57 of 80
Same here.....that opening part sucked me in - I haven't surfaced yet............

- "Trane-Boy"

Oct 24, 2001 at 2:33 AM Post #58 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by briantf27
...The right electronics go a long way, but can't eliminate it IME. My biggest beef with the HD600s is the lean low end, though.Brian.

Boy, I'll say! Lean low end? Definitely an amplifier dependent artifact!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2001 at 3:08 AM Post #59 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by kwkarth

Boy, I'll say! Lean low end? Definitely an amplifier dependent artifact!
smily_headphones1.gif

MG Head DT suffers here undoubtedly. But all things being equal in regards to amplification, the Senns do not have the full bodied low end of phones like the Grado RS-1s. Do you disagree with that? I can't see how you could. The predominant alure of the Senns is their midrange to me, and I wouldn't give that up to improve some of the (minor) nitpicks I have.

Brian.

Oct 24, 2001 at 3:16 AM Post #60 of 80
Brian, again, I think we could be dealing with amplifier dependencies here. In jack 1 of my OBH-11SE, the 600s are warm and almost tubby sounding , yet retain detail. In jack two they're much better controlled, but not at all what I would call "dry." My Grados are ever so slightly on the warm side of dead neutral, depending upon the earpad I choose to use. I find the wonderfully liquid midrange of my Grados to be their most compelling feature by far. Isn't it interesting the different things we hear wih different amps and probably program material! What a great "hobby!"
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back