HD600 bottom end: Am I nuts?
Mar 3, 2003 at 2:23 PM Post #16 of 28
And how exactly did you manage to hear a 10Hz tone?
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Mar 3, 2003 at 2:28 PM Post #17 of 28
I love the bass reproduction on my 600s. If you want to prove to yourself that they are capable in the bass department, try the DVD of Close Encounters OTTK. The famous scene where Roy Neary's truck gets "spotlighted" at the railroad tracks. It's at 21 Min. and 10 secs on the disc.

I have tried it through my Corda HA-2, Pioneer Dolby Headphone processor and straight from my receiver's headphone jack. All three times the scene is full of deep, cheekbone tingling bass. When the low LFE sound cues cut out towards the end on the scene, I feel like I just got a mini head and shoulder massage.
smily_headphones1.gif

I find the 600s terrific for film viewing as well as music.

John

Mar 3, 2003 at 3:01 PM Post #19 of 28
I'm not sure what you were hearing but it wasn't a 10Hz tone, the ear can't hear that low. The limits of someone with perfect hearing is 20Hz - 20KHz, there is some speculation on the psychoacoustic effects of frequencies higher than 20KHz but the ear can't technically hear those. Low frequencies below 20Hz would be felt through bone conduction with some interesting effects like when you get down to around the 7Hz region you would have an instant bowel movement.

Mar 3, 2003 at 4:59 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by aerius
Wait'll you drive them with a Gilmore Class A amp. I plugged my 580's into the mint tin Gilmore amp that I'd just built up and the bass will pressurize your eardrums. The double kick drums on "Slayer" and "Metallica" songs sound absolutely huge and go deep down with lots of slam. When I played the opening part of "Liquid Diamonds" by Tori Amos I could practically feel my head vibrating from the strong 20-30Hz tones. Play that song on a set of speakers and you'll see the woofers move back & forth a good 1/2" at normal listening volumes while everything in the house starts shaking. So no, you're not crazy or losing your mind.

Kick drums aren't all that deep and I could be wrong but I don't think the tones on that Tori Amos track are going that low. More like maybe 30 but closer to 40Hz, but again I could be wrong.

Mar 4, 2003 at 2:46 AM Post #22 of 28
elnero,

At a Meat Beat Manifesto (experimental electronic music) concert a few years ago, the whole audience suddenly scrambled for the outhouses after the group started playing-- the speakers used were accurately producing sounds extending to that low end you refer to. Ouch!
eek.gif

Cheers,
Geek

Mar 4, 2003 at 2:50 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Geek
elnero,

At a Meat Beat Manifesto (experimental electronic music) concert a few years ago, the whole audience suddenly scrambled for the outhouses after the group started playing-- the speakers used were accurately producing sounds extending to that low end you refer to. Ouch!
eek.gif

Heh. That's a rumor. I'm 99% positive that never actually happened.

Besides, if it were possible to create bass tones that could loosen bowels, someone would have done it before Jack Dangers.

- Chris

Mar 4, 2003 at 3:12 AM Post #24 of 28
I believe it was actually Nazi Germany where this was first discovered. They did extensive experimentation into the effects of sound. Ironically enough we know a lot things because of Nazi Germany's "experimentations."

Tones that low are incredibly hard to reproduce, that's why people aren't doing it every day. There are actually very few speakers out there that can do 20Hz - 20KHz with a reasonably flat freq. response. Many have energy down there but at a significantly reduced volume in comparison to the rest of the spectrum.

And those are just some of the nifty fun filled facts I learned when I took Audio Engineering.
tongue.gif

Just found an interesting quote:

Quote:

"A 7Hz tone of sufficient amplitude can crack the walls of a masonry building and can affect a phenomenon known as brain entertainment whereby normal brainwave frequencies are reclocked and vital rocesses are catastrophically disrupted. Individuals, thus 'down converted,' usually die within seconds, though not before experiencing cruciating pain as internal organs are literally churned by tsunamis of air. Terrifying indeed." - Dan Sweeny, WSR v6 n1 issue 32 "

Mar 4, 2003 at 3:14 AM Post #25 of 28
I was wrong, then. Rumors, eh?
biggrin.gif

Must've been the trash they were serving at the concession stands. . .

Cheers,
Geek

Mar 4, 2003 at 3:16 AM Post #26 of 28
And another: Quote:

Acoustic, Infrasound. Very low-frequency sound which can travel long distances and easily penetrate most buildings and vehicles. Transmission of long wavelength sound creates biophysical effects; nausea, loss of bowels, disorientation, vomiting, potential internal organ damage or death may occur. Superior to ultrasound because it is "in band" meaning that its does not lose its properties when it changes mediums such as from air to tissue.By 1972 an infrasound generator had been built in France which generated waves at 7 hertz. When activated it made the people in range sick for hours [23,302,546].

Mar 4, 2003 at 3:17 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by aerius
Wait'll you drive them with a Gilmore Class A amp. I plugged my 580's into the mint tin Gilmore amp that I'd just built up and the bass will pressurize your eardrums.

that's the first review of the mint tin except for the one of Subsonic. Do you plan to post something about the specs of your amp and how it sounds ?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2003 at 3:24 AM Post #28 of 28
I strongly disagree......well I had an HD600 paired with an MGHead with a 5751 Raytheon, and later on a GE5751WA black plates considered pretty decent tubes, and a pair of JJ, the HD600/MGHead is considered a nice combo. In that setup I considered that the low bottom end was rolled off, nothing comparable to the impact of the CD3000, or the DT770, to the point that now, after hearing those, I can't go back to the senns sound, I do not reco it, for rock or dynamic music at all, where you need that bass impact....classical and light jazz, pop maybe should be OK.....but this is just my experience, maybe other will hear what I do not....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back