HD600 bottom end: Am I nuts?
Mar 1, 2003 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Geek

Headphoneus Supremus
After about 250+ hours of constant playing of mostly classical, some jazz, some rock, and some techno, the HD600 has turned into a much different headphone. I am specifically talking about the low end, since I really didn't expect significant bottom-end out of open headphones.

Boy, was I wrong. It seems that the 600s are completely and insanely extended now, to the point where they equal the DT770s in extension but lack the coloration of the upper bass that the DT770s have. They also have much more midbass punch than the DT770s, and can take higher volumes better without distortion. Sort of like the DT250-80's bottom end only it goes deeper and is slightly less colored.

Anyone else have similar findings, or am I just nuts?!

The mids and highs were basically what I expected from reviews, but the low end? And out of an airhead amp??

Cheers,
Geek

Mar 1, 2003 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 28
I agree re: the HD600 bottom end. When I first got them, it was tight and constricted, then, after about 100 hours of burn-in, they sounded loose and flabby (which concerned me a bit), but now, after about 200+ hours of actual use, they are quite extended, tighter in the low end, and don't have quite as much of that upper-bass hump that they apparently had before. I was listening to a little classic G-n-R on them earlier today -- I disagree with a lot of people (at least for these ears) -- they make a great rock headphone! I know its not fair to compare, but I did anyway, and on this music, through the OBH-11se, they just destroyed the D-66 Eggos. Love 'em. I just wish that they didn't leak so much sound.

Mar 1, 2003 at 4:34 AM Post #4 of 28
Whew, I thought I was just going nuts.
biggrin.gif
The 600s really have changed. I listen to them for a ridiculous amount of time (8+ hours per day) and often burn them in on occasion at high volumes (5-10 dB above what I consider the maximum safe limit of 85dB peak / 80dB average).

Bwahahaha. Now comes the fun part (upgrading) hohhohhoashaha.

Cheers,
Geek

Mar 1, 2003 at 4:54 AM Post #6 of 28
I don't think your crazy. All though I don't think the bass is like the DT770 (which is a good thing),. I have been seriously impressed with the HD600's bass since receiving them. The bass also continues to improve with burn in. After hearing the CD3000 and W2002 I actually think the HD600's have better bass, but without directly ab'ing I won't go there just yet.

Mar 1, 2003 at 6:03 AM Post #7 of 28
Due to my addiction to both listening and playing music, I'm thinking about getting a nice headroom Cosmic with the reference module upgrade. I have a really nice PDCP line out source (I think it rivals the SL-CT470 due to its dedicated line-out, a bit agressive, slightly echoey mids, but overall good sound for a PDCP). I also have a DVP-NS500V for SACD and DVDs; which is the reason for getting such a pricey amp. I am expecting a gift from a friend soon in the form of a very expensive CD player (I don't know much yet!). That's sort of what I'm aiming for.

KR...,

You are very correct about the headroom amps. I heard some great recordings through headroom's best and the bottom end impresses. I was really turned on by the totally realistic sound of their high end stuff though: The top end and mids blend so well that you are simply, as Tyll says, transported to where the music is.

RVD,

I have listened to the CD3000s and I think the bass of the HD600 is indeed slightly better, though it is more a matter of personal preference and tastes from what I experienced: CD3000s are less punchy with more of the signature of the DT770s, except nowhere near as bloated. Slightly more sub-bass. I liked the HD600 because it delivers an ideal amount of punchiness in the midbass as well as a smooth even transition. I think it most closely matches what I consider a "live" orchestral sound while still doing jazz, blues, funk, rock, you name it. The other headphones in this class won't disappoint, though.

Cheers,
Caffeine

Mar 1, 2003 at 6:13 AM Post #8 of 28
Disagreement. After listening to a beautiful Naim Gear/Spendor Speaker system I would have to say that the bass on the HD600 is weak (impact wise) and there is not enough definition in the bass to make up for the lack of impact and the presence of veil. The sound isn't forward enough for me and I don't know what it is... but I feel its missing something, it's as if the HD600 is not alive.

Mar 1, 2003 at 9:04 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by nArKeD
Disagreement. After listening to a beautiful Naim Gear/Spendor Speaker system I would have to say that the bass on the HD600 is weak (impact wise) and there is not enough definition in the bass to make up for the lack of impact and the presence of veil. The sound isn't forward enough for me and I don't know what it is... but I feel its missing something, it's as if the HD600 is not alive.

Well, I don't think there is really any headphone that can compete with the impact of a speaker system.

I can't really disagree with you about the "laid back" sound. I have never really been a big fan of the sound of the HD600 for the most part until I found a system that removes that laid backness. Now I really like the HD600's.

Mar 1, 2003 at 9:29 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by RVD
Well, I don't think there is really any headphone that can compete with the impact of a speaker system.

I can't really disagree with you about the "laid back" sound. I have never really been a big fan of the sound of the HD600 for the most part until I found a system that removes that laid backness. Now I really like the HD600's.

As a great lover of 600, I do not question it's ability to
express a music in certainn genre, it's invincible. But since I don't really believe in existence of "jack of all trade" stuff on everything, my beloved senn.600 has to step down from my headphone stand, everytime I listen to the mordern music~~ And yes~~!! we can improve the weakness,punch,and laidback w/ matching tech. a little, but sure it'll cost some bucks.....Like somenoe says....Even if you paint the black lines on the pumkins, it's still punkins. It cannot possibly be a water melons.

cheers
clamchowder

Mar 1, 2003 at 9:31 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Geek
Due to my addiction to both listening and playing music, I'm thinking about getting a nice headroom Cosmic with the reference module upgrade.

It works well for me with the HD-600.

Mar 1, 2003 at 3:48 PM Post #12 of 28
The bass on the HD-600 will respond to the amp that is driving it. Using the Supra SET amp, the HD-600 achieved a level of low-end definition I hadn't heard with it before. This is not all that useful, as I don't know if anyone but me has that amp. (Sometime soon, they will go into commercial production in a somewhat different form).

Mar 1, 2003 at 7:47 PM Post #13 of 28
Wait'll you drive them with a Gilmore Class A amp. I plugged my 580's into the mint tin Gilmore amp that I'd just built up and the bass will pressurize your eardrums. The double kick drums on "Slayer" and "Metallica" songs sound absolutely huge and go deep down with lots of slam. When I played the opening part of "Liquid Diamonds" by Tori Amos I could practically feel my head vibrating from the strong 20-30Hz tones. Play that song on a set of speakers and you'll see the woofers move back & forth a good 1/2" at normal listening volumes while everything in the house starts shaking. So no, you're not crazy or losing your mind.

Mar 1, 2003 at 8:12 PM Post #14 of 28
hmm, I've found the bass from my 600's to be quite pleasing. I can actually feel it in my outer ear. However, I haven't had the time to try these headphones with all types of music so there may be a deficiency with one type? Only problem is...I wonder who is to blame once you get to the transducer; the headphones? the amplification? musical choice? musical quality? interconnects? the source? These cans are the last component to be fed a signal handled by many others. Blah blah blah blah....

Mar 3, 2003 at 1:52 PM Post #15 of 28
I was in an experimental mood last night and started performing THX subwoofer tests on my DT 250/250's. At one point I thought I was hearing them going really, really deep and kind of felt the urge to play the 10 hz test through them (I've always been too scared to try it until then). Well, it worked... I was listening to a 10 hz tone from my headphones at full volume (fortissimoII->porta corda->DT250/250). I only tried it for five or ten seconds. They still work like before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back