hd600 / AKG501
Mar 1, 2003 at 10:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

JAG

100+ Head-Fier
I have an iPod and supermini V4 amp. I listen to most anything but primarily rock/jazz/blues and some classical.
My list of prospects is subjrct to change:

hd 600 - ok w/ipod?
AKG 501 - lacks bass?
px250 - really a 49.00 phones w/noise reduction?
eggo D66 - great phones but looking for better.
Ety ER4's - best sound but sealing issues? I have tiny ear canals

Ideally I would like semi closed or closed and somewhat portable but if open phones like hd600 blows the others away for sound quality I would seriously consider.

Mar 1, 2003 at 11:10 AM Post #2 of 9
My vote would be to stick with the Eggos. If you introduce a high quality headphone into the system, you may hear all the artifacts of data compression.
OTOH, if you insist on getting better headphones, and are looking for closed or semi closed, try the Audio Technicas. HeadRoom is supposed to be selling them soon.
The best of the bunch you mentioned to me is the AKG K501, especially with Jazz, Blues etc.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2003 at 12:22 PM Post #3 of 9
Are you planning to listen at home or portably (on the go)?

Mar 1, 2003 at 12:45 PM Post #4 of 9
"Are you planning to listen at home or portably (on the go)?"

-- ----------------------------------------------------------------------

I plan on listening through iPod at home and on the go.

Mar 1, 2003 at 12:47 PM Post #5 of 9
What is the output of the supermini?? The AKG's are a superb phone but very insensitive, you really need a pretty beefy amp for them to give of their best.

Mike

Mar 1, 2003 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
What is the output of the supermini?? The AKG's are a superb phone but very insensitive, you really need a pretty beefy amp for them to give of their best.

Mike

Check out this thread Re; AKG Fixup Super-mini and AKG K-1000

Crap, the link didn't work. Oh well the thread's on the same page as this one.

Mar 1, 2003 at 3:14 PM Post #7 of 9
Not sure about output but the standard supermini has either 4.5 (alkaline) or 3.6 (rechargable) volt. With booster and analogue volume you can go up to 12 volt. Which is what I have through a regulated power supply or 8.4 from rechageable batteries.

That probably doesn't help as to whether it will power the K501, though with 8.4 or 12 volt it will power the HD580 and according to Hirsh the K1000's.

Wordsworth

Mar 1, 2003 at 3:31 PM Post #8 of 9
Get the ER4's. They are arguably better than the Senn's & AKG's, and the only ones that can serve well both portably and at home.

I have rather small ear canals, and have had no problem with getting a seal, or comfort, using the white tips.

For portable use, lose the amp and just go iPod/Ety. For home, use the amp if you want.

Mar 1, 2003 at 3:45 PM Post #9 of 9
I'd also consider the Beyer DT 880 – just fun and the best headphone with my Archos MP3 Jukebox, whith a separate amp (e.g. Porta Corda). Open design without isolation and not really portable, but... why not!?

If you don't mind sticking things in your ears, I second jpelg: the ER-4 is plainly the portable phone and the best you can do in terms of convenience (ultra-portability, no explicit need for an amp), isolation and sound quality.

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back