HD598 vs Akg Q701
Sep 11, 2012 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MikeyLikes

New Head-Fier
Finally investing in my first pair of good headphones and would like to do it right given the budget. Been trying to read around the forums and looking online, but figured it would be best to ask the experts here.

I originally had my eye on the Sony MDR-NC500D, but did not see a need for the noise-cancelling technology. I want to use these directly connected to my receiver, with is connected to my laptop via HDMI. Also, I tried doing some research on having a continously used lithium-ion battery next to your head for extended periods, yet could not find anything conclusive on it (if anyone has any information on this, would be great to hear).

I then looked at the Beats Pro, but asked around and got a lot of negative advice on it. I heard the bass is very fake and they are very overpriced.

Then I looked at the HD 598, and have read exceptional reviews everywhere. Considering I will only be listening to the headphones at home this seems to be the best choice based on what I have read. My only worry is that the bass is very lacking. Although I listen to all types of music, I feel that I will be listening mostly to Electronic, and have not heard a lot regarding the HD 598 and that genre. I also have been reading that an AMP can help with the bass, however I have not seen anything about a receiver. Can a receiver enhance quality/bass when plugged in? Also, I have the option of using a fibre optic cable or hdmi for connectivity, do either make a difference when listening through the jack on a receiver?

I have also been looking at the AKG Q701 that several people on this forum have referred to as better. Would this be a better headphone for the situation?

I'm sorry my idea's have been a little scattered here, I'm very new to becoming an audiophile and found organizing in a concise order a little difficult. Mind you, I will also be using these headphones to focus and write something I have been working on lol

Sep 11, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #3 of 7
subbass is quite lacking on the hd598, but overall midbass and highbass is pretty good

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #4 of 7
I find bass to be lacking in both. The best alternative in their price range IMHO, are the DT880s which has better bass than both, while remaining very balanced.

Sep 11, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Finally investing in my first pair of good headphones and would like to do it right given the budget. Been trying to read around the forums and looking online, but figured it would be best to ask the experts here.

I originally had my eye on the Sony MDR-NC500D, but did not see a need for the noise-cancelling technology. I want to use these directly connected to my receiver, with is connected to my laptop via HDMI. Also, I tried doing some research on having a continously used lithium-ion battery next to your head for extended periods, yet could not find anything conclusive on it (if anyone has any information on this, would be great to hear).

I then looked at the Beats Pro, but asked around and got a lot of negative advice on it. I heard the bass is very fake and they are very overpriced.

Then I looked at the HD 598, and have read exceptional reviews everywhere. Considering I will only be listening to the headphones at home this seems to be the best choice based on what I have read. My only worry is that the bass is very lacking. Although I listen to all types of music, I feel that I will be listening mostly to Electronic, and have not heard a lot regarding the HD 598 and that genre. I also have been reading that an AMP can help with the bass, however I have not seen anything about a receiver. Can a receiver enhance quality/bass when plugged in? Also, I have the option of using a fibre optic cable or hdmi for connectivity, do either make a difference when listening through the jack on a receiver?

I have also been looking at the AKG Q701 that several people on this forum have referred to as better. Would this be a better headphone for the situation?

I'm sorry my idea's have been a little scattered here, I'm very new to becoming an audiophile and found organizing in a concise order a little difficult. Mind you, I will also be using these headphones to focus and write something I have been working on lol

What kind of electronic? Vocal-oriented ambient electronic music... the 598 wins hands down. With bassier electronic music, it depends. The Q701 has more speed but the 598 has more bass quantity (fatter with slightly more impact). 

There are better headphones for electronic genre. It's kind of a waste to get the HD598 / Q701 just for electronic music because you are not utilizing their midrange or soundstage very much. 

Listening to music while studying = not a good idea. Forget the BS about how music helps concentrate / makes you smarter. Doesn't work. Fatigue wise, the HD-598 is by far the less fatiguing headphone. It takes a while to get used to the Q701's treble, which has several peaks past 1100 hertz.

The DT880 is a good choice for electronic music. I think slightly more bass than the 598/ 701 but still has moderate speed and impact. Maybe look into the Denons and Ultrasones.... 

Sep 11, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for the insight guys and for not ragging on me for being a complete newbie lol.

There isn't really a specific on Electronic, but if I had to say it would be more Electro House, with about 50/50 on the vocals. I will also be listening to Hip-Hop and Rock mostly.

Considering I've been using a Pioneer 5.1 surround sound system to listen to music up to now, with ear buds here and there, anything I really use would make a huge improvement on what I'm using now. I'm sure I'll hear detail I've never heard before either way.

I don't think I'd call myself a bass head so if the bass is there and sufficient enough then I'll be happy, I just hope it's not lacking. It's unfortunate I can't seem to find an HD598 I can try around here, which is why I'm asking and worried based on other people's impressions. If a headphone has too much bass where it sounds like it's farting or blanding out the instruments/vocals, I would find that rather annoying.

I will not be using this for studying as I am not in school, I will be using this for online work that I do from home and for writing a TV show that I am currently working on.

I should probably make a thread on this alone, but does plugging into a receiver have the same benefits as plugging into an amp? HDMI/Fibre Optic make a difference in this case?

Sep 11, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Thanks for the insight guys and for not ragging on me for being a complete newbie lol.

There isn't really a specific on Electronic, but if I had to say it would be more Electro House, with about 50/50 on the vocals. I will also be listening to Hip-Hop and Rock mostly.

Considering I've been using a Pioneer 5.1 surround sound system to listen to music up to now, with ear buds here and there, anything I really use would make a huge improvement on what I'm using now. I'm sure I'll hear detail I've never heard before either way.

I don't think I'd call myself a bass head so if the bass is there and sufficient enough then I'll be happy, I just hope it's not lacking. It's unfortunate I can't seem to find an HD598 I can try around here, which is why I'm asking and worried based on other people's impressions. If a headphone has too much bass where it sounds like it's farting or blanding out the instruments/vocals, I would find that rather annoying.

I will not be using this for studying as I am not in school, I will be using this for online work that I do from home and for writing a TV show that I am currently working on.

I should probably make a thread on this alone, but does plugging into a receiver have the same benefits as plugging into an amp? HDMI/Fibre Optic make a difference in this case?

If you listen to anything like Zero 7 or Portishead, I'd recommend the 598. I've read a review from an electronic lover who feared that judging by the reviews, the 598 would not have enough bass but found them to be surprisingly plenty. I think whether you find them lacking or not depends on what headphones/ earphones you are currently using. It's all relative. Otherwise, DT880 or DT990 might be a safer choice. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back