HD595 Sounds terrible
Jan 18, 2011 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bluestreek

New Head-Fier
I just got a new set of hd595s of amazon. I have listened to them through my mixamp on my pc, ps3 and zune 120. I have also listened to them through my zune by itself. Te be absolutely honest im not impressed with the sound quality at all. The headphones than came with my iphone 4 sound as good if not better.

Is it possible I blew them out or something? My brother turned them to max on his iphone when I first got them. Are my ears broken? Also I have an astro mixamp and I can't get the surround sound to work. I was playing modern warfare 2 earlier and I made sure the headphone dolby light is on. I then set it to 5.1 in game. Sounds really bad and I have no idea where the sounds are coming from. Also If I turn the mixamp above half volume the headphones start buzzing and sound crap.

WHATS THE DEAL????

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #3 of 6
Going by the buzzing and sounding like crap, you may have got a defective pair. An iPhone 4 at max volume would not blow them up IME, I think you got a defective pair, you should get them changed for a new pair (or maybe they can replace the drivers).

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 6
I use the Astro Mixamp + HD595's and I have a PS3.  Sounds like you might have a dud.  But if the surround sound is not working, it probably has more to do with your Mixamp or the settings on your PS3, than the headphones.  Have you tried other headphones with your Mixamp?  Can you hear the surround sound then?I don't play MW2, but I know for Black Ops the surround sound is messed up and they plan on fixing it in future patches.  If you have BF: Bad Company give that a try, that game has some of the best surround sound I've heard. 

Edit:  And I don't know if it applies to MW2, but I've read people recommending putting it to Theater setting for the best surround sound.  That might just be for Black Ops, not sure.

Jan 18, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 6
You need to make sure you choose Dolby Digital as your default output in your PS3 X-Media Bar Audio Settings outside of the game. Don't select DTS, Mixamp doesn't decode that. If you have these settings set correctly, it might just be that Dolby Headphone doesn't work for you. The Mixamp downmixes the DD 5.1 stream into a 2 channel virtual surround stream and into your stereo headset. Virtual surround is not true surround where there are physical speakers or transducers placed in discrete relational space. Dolby Headphone uses a proprietary algorithm to simulate surround using just 2 stereo channels. Basically, it "tricks" your ears into thinking you are hearing sounds from all around you. Because everyone's ear canals and physiology are different, it may or may not work on any given individual. The effect works great for some people. It doesn't work at all for others. If you can't tell the difference, you should probably return the Mixamp and just use headphones into a stereo source or get something like a Tritton AxPro which has true surround with 4 tiny speakers in each earcup.

Quote:
I just got a new set of hd595s of amazon. I have listened to them through my mixamp on my pc, ps3 and zune 120. I have also listened to them through my zune by itself. Te be absolutely honest im not impressed with the sound quality at all. The headphones than came with my iphone 4 sound as good if not better.

Is it possible I blew them out or something? My brother turned them to max on his iphone when I first got them. Are my ears broken? Also I have an astro mixamp and I can't get the surround sound to work. I was playing modern warfare 2 earlier and I made sure the headphone dolby light is on. I then set it to 5.1 in game. Sounds really bad and I have no idea where the sounds are coming from. Also If I turn the mixamp above half volume the headphones start buzzing and sound crap.

WHATS THE DEAL????

Jan 20, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #6 of 6
I swear the sound of these headphones keeps changing - I have heard they need a long burn in??? They still don't sound very good at all. I even bought a fiio e7 and I can't tell the differance between the fiio and my laptop sound card. But then again they sound very muddy anyway - I tried playing flac and 192kbps wmv files also and can tell no differance.

I think they day I got them they actually sounded really good - the more I use them they are just sounding really bad. Also they are extremely harsh - listening to them gives me a headache. Should I return them to sennheiser or just keep burning them in? All the reviews I have read is saying they are so good you can hear lower quality recordings etc. Everything just sounds bad to me.

Edit: O btw I got the sound working. Didn't realise I had to have dolby live enabled to pass sound to the mixamp lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back