HD595 - Should I get a DAC?
Jun 20, 2012 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Bomster

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

Due to my surroundings, 90% of the music I listen to is done at my desk, straight from my computer.

After reading a few threads on here, it seems many people are speaking about the use of DAC's and headphone amps.

• Does it go: Motherboard audio out --> DAC --> Headphone Amp --> Headphones? If so, are there any combined packages that include the DAC and the amp?
  • After a bit of research I have found out what a DAC does, but now I'm interested to know how much difference it makes?
  • Is it pointless using a DAC if you listen to music that isn't 320Kbps/FLAC?

Sorry for the abundance of questions.

Thanks in advance!
Tom

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
Due to my surroundings, 90% of the music I listen to is done at my desk, straight from my computer.
After reading a few threads on here, it seems many people are speaking about the use of DAC's and headphone amps.

• Does it go: Motherboard audio out --> DAC --> Headphone Amp --> Headphones? If so, are there any combined packages that include the DAC and the amp?
  • After a bit of research I have found out what a DAC does, but now I'm interested to know how much difference it makes?
  • Is it pointless using a DAC if you listen to music that isn't 320Kbps/FLAC?

What headphones are you using?
Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound card ($30)
Fiio E10 USB DAC amplifier ($69, sale price at Amazon).
One of these two will improve the sound, depends on your budget.
Both come with a DAC and amplifier (E10 has a better amp.) (DGs is decent).

Jun 21, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
I am using Sennheiser HS 595's mate.
Thanks for that information.
I want to spend less than £100, but happy to buy second hand stuff.

Could you put where you are in your Community Profile, might help with giving you advise, you could have some fun, like list your self as "Doctor Who's home base" or "Warm beer drinker" or 'God save you know who"
or "I send my summers in Scotland" or "We built the first Dreadnought" or "I drink a lot of tea" or "Land of Benny Hill", etc.

Start out with the Asus Xonar DG (or DGX) sound card, they can easily drive 50-ohm headphones (HD595).
Then save up your cash for the next DAC & Amp. & headphone all together purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back