HD590'S Arrived. Initial Impressions VS 325's
Nov 5, 2002 at 7:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

D-Audi

Head-Fier
Man, these are both great phones, it's going to be hard to decide which one I want to keep. These are initialy impressions only. I've had the grado's for over a week and have used them nonstop, and the 590's JUST arrived, not even burned in. I couldn't wait to hear them though, so heres my impressions. On to the review:

Comfort = I still don't see why people think grado's are so uncomfortable. They are easily JUST as comfortable as the hd590's, at least on my head. The 590's are alot beefier and feel bigger and tighter on the head. Grado's feel lighter and looser.

Bass = Goes to the HD590's, hands down. It's deeper and much fuller. It's not preference, the grado's are just missing that extra lowness. I can't say if the hd590's bass is actually 'controlled' or not, it seems to slap around alot, but that might be the song.

Midrange = As of now I definitely prefer the Grado's midrange, probably because I'm more used to it, I've been using the grado's nonstop for the past week. It's definitely a notch in the 'more forward' department. Not alot though. I can definitely understand when people say it's a midpoint between 580/600's and grado's. Grado's feel more on the 'warm' side especially on acoustical music like Eric Clapton live and Dire Straights. Lower midrange definitely goes to the grado's at this point. I can hear some major muddy/coloration in the HD590's at around the 200-500hz range. It's bad on some songs, unnoticable on others - hopefully it will clear up with breakin time.

Treble = They are both excellent here. Very close in brightness - grados definitely feel a 'little' brighter, I can't tell much difference here. There probably is a pretty big one one but haven't listened enough.

This is all coming from the jack of my audigy soundcard - I will be finished with my EAR+ amp later this week to give a much better review, along with the hd590's being properly burned in. Alot of people seem interested on how these headphones fare with portable players so this might prove interesting in this category.

Nov 5, 2002 at 10:03 AM Post #2 of 18
The Grado's bass comes around with an amp and source, with the optional comfy pads providing even more thump at the cost of a collapsed soundstage and treble rolloff.

The HD590's are a little lumpen and loose down low IMO.

Nov 5, 2002 at 10:43 AM Post #3 of 18
i was pretty surprised to read that you found the hd590 bass to be fuller and deeper than the sr325. sr325 has some crazy bass already!

Nov 5, 2002 at 11:02 AM Post #4 of 18
«sr325 has some crazy bass already!»

That's what I think, too!

D-Audi...

...what source and amp are you using?

Nov 5, 2002 at 8:38 PM Post #5 of 18
Jazz - read the end of my post. No amp and using the jack of my audigy. I wasn't going to post a review with such crappy sources, but I thought some people would be interested to see how the headphones did using these type of sources, ie portables, soundcards etc. Using test tones down to 10 hz, the hd590's are CLEARLY audible, the grado's don't even pick up till around 30hz, and even then they aren't very powerful. The HD590's are very powerful even at 20hz, you barely HEAR 20hz with the grado's, if at all. My friend implied this could be caused by the impedance being much higher in the HD590's, who knows. If an amp could get the bass into the grado's like the 590's already have, I think the grado's will be a clear winner - but who knows what an amp will give the 590's - I can't wait!!!

Nov 6, 2002 at 7:35 AM Post #6 of 18
Okay, this is weird. These 590's are just KILLING the grado's in the bass department. Did I get defective grado's? They sound awesome in everything else, it's just after getting the 590's the bass in the grado's just seems nonexistent. An amp to the grado's can't possibly turn it into a different headphone in the bass department can it?

Nov 6, 2002 at 8:39 AM Post #7 of 18
That's why I asked for the amp: It's rather likely that the Audigy HP out doesn't work well with low-impedance headphones. That's a bit strange, since my SB Live Platinum has no such problem. Anyway, the SR 325 really has enormous bass power, more than the HD 600, e.g – it's even a trace too much for my taste. You have to try it with a decent amp!

Nov 6, 2002 at 9:37 AM Post #9 of 18
did i mention crazy bass? im talking about insane amount of grado bass.. it's really strange, although i havent heard the hd590 myself i havnt heard it to possess the same kind of low impactful bass the sr325 exhibits.

for me, the sr325 out of a earmax pro, out of a porta corda, out of a sony cdp/pcdp all consistently had the CRAZY bass.

hey.. looking at the replies is the sr325 a earmax pro favourite or what?
tongue.gif

Nov 6, 2002 at 10:16 AM Post #11 of 18
I just plugged the 325's into my ipod - same thing. It's not that it doesn't have good bass - it does. It's just nothing like the hd590's. It feels like I have a couple subwoofers strapped to my head with the 590's. I can FEEL the bass with them, rather than just hear it w/ the 325's.

Nov 6, 2002 at 10:28 AM Post #12 of 18
If it helps any, I thought the 590s had deeper and stronger bass than the 325s as well out of a $1000 source (Sony DVP-S9000ES) and $1200 headphone amp (RKV MKII).

wink.gif

Nov 6, 2002 at 10:31 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
If it helps any, I thought the 590s had deeper and stronger bass than the 325s as well out of a $1000 source (Sony DVP-S9000ES) and $1200 headphone amp (RKV MKII).

wink.gif

well, there you go. from the headphone Headphoneus Supremus himself.
cool.gif

im not going to argue with that!

Nov 6, 2002 at 10:50 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by D-Audi
I just plugged the 325's into my ipod - same thing.

...there you go: out of the frying-pan into the fire... The iPod has an early bass roll-off with low-impedance cans («Stereoplay» 4/2002).

But according to Vertigo's comment it seems like the HD 590 has an even more pronounced bass than the SR 325. Anyway, I for one wouldn't equate «lots of bass» with «good bass» – while bass extension is a good thing, of course.

Nov 6, 2002 at 11:16 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
did i mention crazy bass? im talking about insane amount of grado bass.. it's really strange, although i havent heard the hd590 myself i havnt heard it to possess the same kind of low impactful bass the sr325 exhibits.

for me, the sr325 out of a earmax pro, out of a porta corda, out of a sony cdp/pcdp all consistently had the CRAZY bass.

hey.. looking at the replies is the sr325 a earmax pro favourite or what?
tongue.gif

RickG once described the EMP/325 combo as "orgasmic"
biggrin.gif

I'll have the opportunity to finally audition the EMP in a couple of weeks. I already have a seller lined up...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back