HD590'S Arrived. Initial Impressions VS 325's
Nov 6, 2002 at 11:18 AM Post #16 of 18
Grados have always been characterized as having fast, impacting bass. From the RS-2 on down, that characteristic sticks. The only Grado I've heard that actually executed deep bass while maintaining enough speed to delineate bass notes is the RS-1.

The 590s have the characteristic "slow", heavy bass response that Sennheisers seem to all have. What is being called "more" bass in the quantitative sense is simply more bass heft and weight, something that most Grados don't have due to their quickness. On the flip side, Grados may be better at delineating bass notes due to their quickness, but lack on bass extension and weight. As a result, sometimes drum hits that should have weight and extension (like those large Japanese drums) aren't given due credit by Grados.

I personally think all Sennheisers have too much bass quantity and I don't enjoy them for long periods of time, but that's just me. One thing I severely dig about the Stax Omega IIs is that they can simultaneously execute insanely deep bass and also whack out each bass note with incredible speed and seperation. And yet because of the lack of visceral bass, I am never exausted by the deep bass notes that get pounded out. Awesome combination.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2002 at 11:50 AM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
What is being called "more" bass in the quantitative sense is simply more bass heft and weight, something that most Grados don't have due to their quickness. On the flip side, Grados may be better at delineating bass notes due to their quickness, but lack on bass extension and weight.

I dont know about how far the SR325 extends but there is no doubt that it has very heavy, impactful bass. its almost AV subwoofer like in quality, infact abit too much for my liking. It's more pronounced with some recordings than others which leads me to believe its very dependent on its source too..

But, bass heft and weight IS defintely all SR325.

Nov 6, 2002 at 1:24 PM Post #18 of 18
The grado rs-2 definately has deep,full, impactful bass. So does the sr-325. After another post I got out my 225s ,rs2s and different earpads to refresh my opinions. You definately know the rs2s go lower than the 225s and are fuller. Both have slam and bass quality. The bowl pads reduce bass and increase brightness so this is a possible factor from this post. As for the dt770pros,I think from my audition the dt770pros have the best extension and are also full sounding. Using a headroom moh amp both the rs-2 and the pro have excellent extension and bass quality. What the pro doesnt have is the bass slam and quickness of the grados,any of the grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back