HD580s and Pa2v2 off laptop - not happy :(
Nov 16, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #61 of 76
Thank you guys!!!

Davesrose: I'm very sorry for not answering your questions! I have turned off EQ and the HD580s still distort especially when more bass kicks in on a song. This is at anything after 2/3s on amp gain (just when the 580s start to sound louder - to try and get rid of the veiled sound!)! Tried Windows Media Player with CDs aswell, AND my discman! The amp was bought here: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207039. No idea what it was 'tuned' for, etc.

I'll probably get a Little Dot, but wait till a good price comes. The cheapest I've found is: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Little-Dot-Mic...QQcmdZViewItem - Only $10 delivery to the UK! Is this a good price (how much do they usually go for)? Should I buy it?? He has pics of Little Micro Dot+ and not +, is there a difference?

It's 3:33am here now, I'm off to bed. I hope I have some nice replies to read in the morning
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks guys for your on going advice
biggrin.gif

P.S. That auction JUST ended, oh well..

Nov 16, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #62 of 76
Humm.....if that PA2V2 has had two other owners......that could be what's doing things. I'm pretty sure the maker adjusts it for either high or low impedance headphones. Could be it's set for low impedance. Maybe you can try contacting the maker:

http://www.electric-avenues.com/

Though I tried looking thru his site and it doesn't say anything about adjusting gain for high or low impedance cans.....don't know if it's worth it to try resolving this, or just try a better approach. BTW, looks like this amp does not have a gain setting. Give up on this and the 580s....get the MS-1s, and only think about trying the 595s later in life
smily_headphones1.gif
If you're not deaf by then
wink.gif

Nov 17, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #65 of 76
I thought the advise was pretty clear.....the 580s can't be driven on your equipment....so definitely no point keeping them around. Go for the MS-1s. Don't worry about another amp at this point. Look for headphones that you like.

Nov 17, 2006 at 11:48 PM Post #66 of 76
I think the OP is just listening at too loud a level. I use the 580s with an PA2V2 and it can easily drive the 580s to a very loud level and yes when the level gets too high it will distort, but I will have ripped the phones off my ears in pain long before it gets to that point I avoid this problem by listening at sensible levels and anyway long term exposure to loud noises will decrease your hearing in later life.

Nov 18, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #67 of 76
That's why I've suggested the OP gets an easier can to drive. Something that's easier to go deaf with!! It's the OP's choice IMO. The OP says the 580s distort at 2/3 volume.....which at least on my more expensive amp is an insane volume. If the op is getting the same distortions with a line out of a pcdp, then I can't see what else it can be but the amp/ headphone combo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the OP is just listening at too loud a level. I use the 580s with an PA2V2 and it can easily drive the 580s to a very loud level and yes when the level gets too high it will distort, but I will have ripped the phones off my ears in pain long before it gets to that point I avoid this problem by listening at sensible levels and anyway long term exposure to loud noises will decrease your hearing in later life.

Nov 18, 2006 at 9:40 AM Post #69 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the OP is just listening at too loud a level. I use the 580s with an PA2V2 and it can easily drive the 580s to a very loud level and yes when the level gets too high it will distort...

Because this is obviously true, it seems that there must be some other problem going on here, and from the testing Chodecz has done, it sure sounds like a faulty amp. A portable amp with a full battery should have no trouble with this. This isn't a problem of HD580 not living up to its full potential, this is a technical issue that has nothing to do with properly working headphones and amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chodecz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol! I don't listen till my ears bleed, like what u guys think!!
smily_headphones1.gif

But i expect high grade cans like the 580s to go to a high level without distortion amped!

Wait a minute, Chodecz, I just noticed in one of your posts here that you said that even your KSC-75 don't get very loud on your laptop. Hold on! Does this mean without the pa2v2 even in the picture? If it does, you need to look at every program on your computer that has a volume control acting on the windows kmixer. It's possible one program is cutting most of your output, even when you think you've turned it back up on the master volume control.

Take a look, then if that doesn't work, I suggest as a cheap fix that will likely give you what you're looking for, grab a $10 USB sound controller. (see computer as source forum for a link)

Nov 19, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #72 of 76
chodecz, I don't know how to put this more clearly: it sounds like you have a technical problem that needs to be identified and fixed. Just buying additional equipment very likely won't make any difference, unless you happen to replace the part that's misbehaving, and so far you haven't clearly identified it. Even a pair of headphones much harder to drive than an HD580 should sound reasonably clear and good from your system. Forget about buying new stuff until you've figured out precisely what's causing the problem.

Nov 19, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #73 of 76
Sounds like it probably is the amp, because Codecz also had problems with it plugged into a pcdp. But IMHO, since codecz probably wouldn't like the 580s even with a working portable amp (because of the lack of volume/ dynamics on a begining portable amp), I think he should just start over again. The 580s probably aren't for him......and if he'd get a cheaper headphone, it will be easier to drive without an amp. Seems like he needs to find a sound signature he likes first. Then worry with an amp later (also because I don't think the 580 or 501 really would be his cup of tea, most other begining phones don't need an amp as much).

Nov 19, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #75 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by chodecz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your ongoing advice guys.

Can you please please answer the quesiton about the LDM+.

Is there a Little Dot Micro version as well as the +???

Yes there is a Little Dot Micro and a Little Dot Micro+

The + version uses an internal li-ion battery and the amp recharges it. Looks like a flat one they use in mobile phones. Really impressive battery life. The Non plus uses alkaline batteries; that is all I am familiar with. I only have the + version and not the original, so I cannot comment on the sound quality although im sure the + version would probably sound better because of the better battery..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back