HD580 vs. HD595
May 20, 2004 at 2:19 PM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
And didn't you take them apart first to see that the drivers appeared identical? So you expected to hear no difference, therefore you heard what you expected, namely 'no difference'. In your case, another blind test result of "no difference" still won't be conclusive.

It's really very hard to prove a negative. Blind ABX testing of those who do claim to hear a difference would be more interesting.

Agreed...

100% true...which is why these things should really be up to the individual.

I've made my decision...too close to call...i'll take one HD-555 thank you
eggosmile.gif

May 20, 2004 at 2:24 PM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reck45
yea and tell me how much the 555s improve with an amp and without

From my experience with the HD-595 - they improve a lot but not in the traditional sense. They dont sound any more "special" but they sure get cleaned up and more "realistic" with a good source and amp. Yes there is potential for improvement.

Quote:

btw... sounds like they are much more forgiving than the 580s unamped. I do listen to rock because it's always in games... hmm... How do the 555s do with ambient music btw?

The HD-5X5 absolutely RULES with games. Why?
* Comfort...I play BF1942 for hours together...these cans are so comfortable I dont want to take them off...
* Positional Audio - You can pinpoint the direction with more accuracy with better headphones. Also - the forward biased soundstage is more realistic because your field of view is really 75% of whats in front of you - blends perfectly with what you hear with the HD-5X5 series.
* Ambient Music - this is a question of the ability of the cans to separate different information. The HD-5X5 do this very well...gobs of detail. Gunshots sound "real" and "frightening" in a game like Far Cry
eek.gif

May 20, 2004 at 3:48 PM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reck45
God almighty you people are driving me crazy! So how do the 555s compare to the 595s? Are they pretty much equal? How do the 555s compare to the 497s? If we're talking about "fowardness" How fowards are the 497s? The 555s are only a little over a hundred bucks yet the look fantastic! If you were me, (a guy with an audigy 2) what would you get(555 or 580)? I play games, music(most of my mp3 are vbr or 192), watch movies. You people are making my decision so frickin hard!

If you're playing MP3's and watching movies over Audigy 2, get the Senns 497's. You don't have to spend more money for other phones. Your sources will be the limiting factor.

May 20, 2004 at 5:57 PM Post #34 of 39
FYI one thing I noticed on my 555s: I've now been using them for a couple hundred hours (~400?) and counting and I've recently noticed that the sound recently seems to have gotten fuller and has more impact. Maybe its just the weather, I'm not sure, but there's definitely some improvement. I can't discount the possibility that perhaps these cans weren't as fully burned in as I thought quite yet. Just to be sure, I'd give the 5x5's a nice long burn in.

May 20, 2004 at 6:25 PM Post #35 of 39
Why the heck do people here bash the audigy 2? It sounds just as good as the M-Audio/ Terrec cards at half the cost. It takes a hit upsampling to 48Khz but a few tweaks will fix that. I suggest you learn how to set it up... plus it's the best for gaming and the only card capable of playing DVD audio today.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2004 at 7:08 PM Post #36 of 39
gsferrari,

On the headroom Max with stepped attenuator, through the Meridian 588:

The HD595s have a smoother, MUCH less tinny high end than the HD555s, slightly deeper bass extension, better midrange, more detail, and better transient response.

I suggest trying the test again. There is more difference between the HD555 and HD595 then there is between the HD580s and the HD600s, in fact a LOT more.

Perhaps use class A equipment, stuff that's brutally analytical like headroom amps and a meridian. I'm lucky, I got to walk into an audition room with a bunch of fine stuff and handpick what I wanted to hear.

The HD595 conclusively is worth the extra cash over the HD555, but the HD555 by no means sucks, it sounds better than the CD3000.

Cheers,
Geek

May 20, 2004 at 7:27 PM Post #37 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek
I suggest trying the test again. There is more difference between the HD555 and HD595 then there is between the HD580s and the HD600s, in fact a LOT more.

I intend to do just that. Nice to know that the extra moolah is not hogwash
wink.gif

Quote:

Perhaps use class A equipment, stuff that's brutally analytical like headroom amps and a meridian. I'm lucky, I got to walk into an audition room with a bunch of fine stuff and handpick what I wanted to hear.

I will be using a Meridian 588, Emmeline Stealth/Rudistor RP5/Grace 901/Chiarra/PPA everything
eggosmile.gif

Quote:

The HD595 conclusively is worth the extra cash over the HD555

Nice! I hope that answers the questions that some people have been having...

Quote:

but the HD555 by no means sucks, it sounds better than the CD3000.

WOW! That good? I dunno...Can you be more specific? I wasnt too impressed with the CD3000 bass and the rather grating highs...actually...come to think of it...it is quite easy to eclipse the CD3000
tongue.gif

May 20, 2004 at 8:17 PM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek
The HD595 conclusively is worth the extra cash over the HD555, but the HD555 by no means sucks, it sounds better than the CD3000.

Man, I hope there aren't any CD3K-lovers following this thread, that's flamewar material there...
blink.gif

Time to tell my wife what I want from my son (he's three, not quite up to gift selection for himself yet, but will be this xmas) for Father's day... that'd be HD595s... (Hey, last year it was an iPod. I guess I have my wife fooled into thinking I actually have this Dad thing figured out...)

May 20, 2004 at 8:27 PM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by SunByrne
Man, I hope there aren't any CD3K-lovers following this thread, that's flamewar material there...
blink.gif

We are used to geek's put downs of the CD3000 mate
wink.gif
, so I wouldnt worry about it. And he is entitled to his opinion, even if I / other folks dont always agree with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back