HD580 vs. HD595
May 20, 2004 at 2:14 AM Post #16 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
true
true also that going with 595 isn't really settling on lesser quality

Super true. It's important not to give the impression that in being slighly brighter the 595 is unrefined. This is one very refined phone, and I owned a 580 for some time and a 600 for much less time, plus I listen to the most revealing of all instruments: the symphony orchestra. And while we're talking contradictions, it's also true that some here have held that the 595 will improve along with your equipment, and given its initial quality I can believe it. Personally I've found it to sound great out of everything I've plugged it into, which is not something I'd have said of the 580 or 600.

May 20, 2004 at 2:39 AM Post #17 of 39
HD580s sound fine to me driven by a maxed-out Meta42 (and a maxed-out Mint, so they should be fine with a Pimeta). The question is, how much rock do you listen to... I've never cared much for rock through HD580s, no matter what the equipment... most rock benefits from an upfront, aggressive sound that you won't get from 580s, period.

May 20, 2004 at 2:46 AM Post #18 of 39
The HD-595/555 is NOT a lesser headphone. I think it compares very well against a Grado ...um... 225/325 and even the RS-1 as far as the excitement it can produce with well recorded music.

But please disregard all these suggestions that it sounds great without an amp. As someone who has heard them without an amp AND with an amplifier I can vouch that the improvement is phenomenal with a good amp.

There is something about those angled drivers that gives a frontal biased soundstage which works very well with music like...rock...which just sounds better coming from in front of you with a focused energy. In contrast - the HD-580 will sound diffused with Rock music...not bad...just diffused and the music loses the necessary *spanking*

Bass also dramatically improves with good amplification. I still find it quite thin...very clean though on the lows and highs. Its the mids which can sound abrasive without a good source and good recordings. Bad MP3's will become fairly obvious to you with these cans...you can use them to test your recordings.

A good source eliminates the graininess to an extent - especially in the midrange.

The main reason why I am reconsidering these cans to add to my stable (the HD-555 not the HD-595) is the comfort. They are brilliant to wear simply because they are lightweight and fit very well. You barely notice them on your head...The HD-580 on the other hand is a great fit too but the foam cover over the driver rubs the ear pinnae and the clamping force can be rather powerful (can be remedied by softening the headband by spreading the headphones around a couple of fat books wider than the head).

The HD-580 is a more classy sounding headphone. Doesnt sound special without the right equipment and improves as the rest of your gear gets better (which is a good thing). Unusable with portables (bad thing - unless you have AT LEAST a CMOY or a PIMETA). Sound is more balanced with good bass and lush mids but the highs can be rolled off without good amplifiers.

May 20, 2004 at 6:49 AM Post #19 of 39
Exactly the kind of information that I need!

I think I have a good sense of the decision space--now I just have to make the decision. From the sound of it, I think it's a good kind of decision, as both are clearly solid cans.

Because I do listen to a fair amount of rock (thanks, fewtch & gs), but would prefer not to kill my classical (thanks, pp312), I'm leaning HD595 right now, though I'll give it more thought.

You guys rule.
600smile.gif

May 20, 2004 at 9:27 AM Post #20 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
The main reason why I am reconsidering these cans to add to my stable (the HD-555 not the HD-595

..why hd 555 over 595 ?

May 20, 2004 at 11:58 AM Post #21 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by raif
Honestly, I didn't have any problems listening to my hd650s out of the d25s headphone out. It sounded really good. Later, when I put a ppa in between the two, my opinions changed.

You sold your 650's and ended up with A900's? Isn't that a downgrade?

May 20, 2004 at 12:13 PM Post #22 of 39
There's been a good deal of speculation in these threads about the differences between the 555 and 595, and in that context it's interesting to look at Sennheiser's specs. On frequency response they quote 15--28,000hz for the 555 and 12--38,500hz for the 595. THD is quoted at 0.2 for the 555 and 0.1 for the 595. These figures of course are meaningless and probably nonsense in themselves, but they do indicate a measurable difference, as does the quoted weights: 260g for the 555 and 270g for the 595. Significant? Some posters here claim the drivers are the same, and no doubt they are, but that's a bit like saying two speaker systems are the same because they contain the same drivers. As we all know there are a multitude of factors besides the actual drivers that can affect sound quality, including driver matching, damping and solidity of the housing. Now if only we knew where the extra ten grams came in.....
confused.gif

May 20, 2004 at 1:22 PM Post #23 of 39
God almighty you people are driving me crazy! So how do the 555s compare to the 595s? Are they pretty much equal? How do the 555s compare to the 497s? If we're talking about "fowardness" How fowards are the 497s? The 555s are only a little over a hundred bucks yet the look fantastic! If you were me, (a guy with an audigy 2) what would you get(555 or 580)? I play games, music(most of my mp3 are vbr or 192), watch movies. You people are making my decision so frickin hard!

May 20, 2004 at 1:46 PM Post #26 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
You sold your 650's and ended up with A900's? Isn't that a downgrade?

It is a question of taste. I heard the HD-650 and loved it. A few weeks back Lindrone sent me his CD3000 and I was like OMFGWTFBEJEESUS
icon10.gif

Change is awesome...I recommend changing/exchanging/trading/loaning gear at every opportunity with fellow members of the forums with whom you are comfortable...the WOW! factor with new gear is to die for...

I stabilized with the HD-650 after listening to the CD3000 for two weeks but boy did I have a blast with it...enough to make consider buying one for myself
tongue.gif

I can imagine flipping over the A900 the same way...I expect it to be very similar to the CD3000 sonically.

May 20, 2004 at 1:46 PM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

I heard them both and there was ZERO difference over a number of tests.

Yet it's odd that you're the only one who's heard zero difference. Everyone else has reported small to significant difference, especially in the treble. Again, the quoted specs would seem to substantiate this.

May 20, 2004 at 2:02 PM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312
Yet it's odd that you're the only one who's heard zero difference. Everyone else has reported small to significant difference, especially in the treble. Again, the quoted specs would seem to substantiate this.

Strange isnt it
cool.gif

I will do a blind AB when I have the 555 AND the 595 in house again...The last time I did a blind AB I was very sure there was no telling them apart. We even placed a towel on my head so that I wouldnt be able to tell from the different "feel" of the headband.

Its not "ODD" really...the mind can play funny games with you when you know what you "expect" to hear. I am not sure if Jan or Tyll did a blind AB between the two and even if they did - I trust my ears better than theirs and definitely more than a few charts made by the manufacturer or by anybody else. There is no perfect measuring system and all these charts have to be taken with a grain of salt...maybe more than a grain of salt
wink.gif

May 20, 2004 at 2:13 PM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

Its not "ODD" really...the mind can play funny games with you when you know what you "expect" to hear.

And didn't you take them apart first to see that the drivers appeared identical? So you expected to hear no difference, therefore you heard what you expected, namely 'no difference'. In your case, another blind test result of "no difference" still won't be conclusive.

It's really very hard to prove a negative. Blind ABX testing of those who do claim to hear a difference would be more interesting.

May 20, 2004 at 2:18 PM Post #30 of 39
That's not that strange gs. Of course they want for them to have higher specs cause they charge extra for them. I will probably go with the 555 it seems. They look sturdy and the cable can be replaced, I saw them for 95 bucks on sale... I dunno I just found out there is a audio shop not too far away from me. Meier Inc. Is that part of Jans company or something? Maybe I'll check them out... yea and tell me how much the 555s improve with an amp and without btw... sounds like they are much more forgiving than the 580s unamped. I do listen to rock because it's always in games... hmm... How do the 555s do with ambient music btw?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back