HD580 vs. HD595
May 19, 2004 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

SunByrne

500+ Head-Fier
OW! Hey--something just bit me... Oh, that's the upgrade bug.

I'm looking to go up a notch (maybe this is two notches from where I am now, but whatever). I'm planning on picking up a PIMETA and a pair of either HD580s or HD595s (they're in a similar price range these days based on Froogle searching). I know there already have been threads comparing the HD595s to the HD600/650, but I'm wondering about them vs. the 580s through a PIMETA. Anybody have any thoughts on that specific combo?

Oh, I listen to a fairly wide range of stuff, including rock, techno/electronic, acoustic guitar/piano, and classical. Some thoughts on my taste in cans can be found in the reviews in my sig. What I'd really like to do, of course, is hear both, but that's impractial at the moment.

Thanks for any thoughts!

May 19, 2004 at 5:14 PM Post #2 of 39
I've not heard the 595, only the 555, but based on the fact that most people say the two have a similar sound signature, my ideas should be somewhat valid. The HD580 will be heavier, and clamp on your head harder than the 595, the 595 will have a more lively sound with a soundstage that is more in front of your face, as opposed to through your head on the 580. IME you need more juice than a PIMETA cranks out to really get the 580/600 singing, whereas the 555 sounded very good even from portables. Unless you want a more laid-back sound than your current cans, I would get the 595 (or 555 if you want to save a few bucks).

May 19, 2004 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 39
The 580 is more refined, but the 595 has more of the exciting wow factor. Furthermore, the 580 can grow with you, as you upgrade. They really shine with GOOD sources and GOOD amps and replacement cables. If you're not willing to go the expensive upgrade path and will not replace the cable or the PIMETA amp in the future, then get the 595's. If you're planning on eventually upgrading to a class A system, then go with the 580's. You won't be sorry.

May 19, 2004 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 39
This is a hard lesson I have learned, if you can afford it, always buy the best there is, don't settle for anything less. Because if you settle for something of lesser quality, sooner or later you will want to upgrade. And in order to upgrade, you will have to sell your lesser quality cans at a loss, so you will inevitably end up spending more.

May 19, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #5 of 39
That's very true, but different people settle at different levels of "good". It's all a matter of what's "good enough" and your budget. So, make the buying decisions accordingly.

May 19, 2004 at 7:50 PM Post #6 of 39
But also, once you buy and listen to decent headphones for some amount of time, your interest in headphones might increase and/or your might start to hear more details in your music, and so your originally planned "max budget" will start to increase as well...

The HD580 can be driven decently through a PIMETA, though by no means ideal. Whether you like the HD595 or the HD580 better is purely preference, I think, and it's best if you can listen to both before deciding which to get. Either that or you can order both from a place that a satisfaction guarantee (like Headroom, or Todd) and keep whichever you find preferable.

May 19, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrie
But also, once you buy and listen to decent headphones for some amount of time, your interest in headphones might increase and/or your might start to hear more details in your music, and so your originally planned "max budget" will start to increase as well...

That's a very slippery slope that could lead to bankruptcy, and being tossed out on the street right along with your headphones.
icon10.gif

May 19, 2004 at 8:12 PM Post #8 of 39
Didn't anyone read that story where an NYU student slept in the library basement for 8 months? In case you are tossed out of your apartment, and you are still a college student, the library basement will always be there for you
biggrin.gif

Oh the joys of being a headfi member
biggrin.gif

May 19, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #9 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
This is a hard lesson I have learned, if you can afford it, always buy the best there is, don't settle for anything less. Because if you settle for something of lesser quality, sooner or later you will want to upgrade. And in order to upgrade, you will have to sell your lesser quality cans at a loss, so you will inevitably end up spending more.

true
true also that going with 595 isn't really settling on lesser quality

May 19, 2004 at 8:46 PM Post #10 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
Didn't anyone read that story where an NYU student slept in the library basement for 8 months? In case you are tossed out of your apartment, and you are still a college student, the library basement will always be there for you
biggrin.gif

Hmm, somehow not really an option for the wife and children. "Hey, dear, we have to sell the house to support my headphone habit..."
600smile.gif

Back on track, the summary so far appears to be: The PIMETA is probably a better match to the 595s, but if I want to upgrade my amp later, the 580s will be more improved by that. And with the PIMETA, it's probably a tossup, based more on whether I want the sound more laid-back or not. That about fair?

Any other thoughts/opinions? Keep 'em coming, this is definitely helping...

As for what's "good enough," as bifcake notes, right now I'm mostly listening to Sony CD780s through my NAD receiver's headphone jack. This is actually not bad--surprisingly good, actually (espeically since the 780s set me back a whole $30), but it is not quite "good enough." I'm not a golden ears, though, and I can't see ever spending HD650 kinds of money--so I'm hoping that the PIMETA + either 595 or 580 is indeed good enough.

Thanks for your thoughts!

May 19, 2004 at 8:53 PM Post #11 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by SunByrne

As for what's "good enough," as bifcake notes, right now I'm mostly listening to Sony CD780s through my NAD receiver's headphone jack. This is actually not bad--surprisingly good, actually (espeically since the 780s set me back a whole $30), but it is not quite "good enough." I'm not a golden ears, though, and I can't see ever spending HD650 kinds of money--so I'm hoping that the PIMETA + either 595 or 580 is indeed good enough.

Thanks for your thoughts!

If you feel that you really don't want to travel the slippery slope of audiophilia and want to get a decent sounding rig using the PIMETA as its amp, then go the 595 route.

I have the 580's, but I wound up spending another $2k on source components, amps and cables to be where I want to be. Oh, and considering the sound quality, I did it on the cheap. I bought most of the stuff on the used market. So, keep that in mind when going down the upgrade path.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunByrne

Back on track, the summary so far appears to be: The PIMETA is probably a better match to the 595s, but if I want to upgrade my amp later, the 580s will be more improved by that. And with the PIMETA, it's probably a tossup, based more on whether I want the sound more laid-back or not. That about fair?

Any other thoughts/opinions? Keep 'em coming, this is definitely helping...

It's more than whether you want the sound to be more laid back. The 595's are brighter and snappier. The 580's are silkier, fuller, more refined. The instruments sound more real with the 580's, but the 595's are more exciting to listen to.

May 19, 2004 at 9:15 PM Post #13 of 39
Wait a second, didn't people say that the 595s sound like crap without an amp as well? Then some people say the 580s sound fantastic out of just an audigy 2... WTH is with all the contradictory advice around here?! I have a hard time figuring out what's going on here... then there's the constant placeabo... man.

May 19, 2004 at 9:22 PM Post #14 of 39
that is because everyone is telling their own opinions.

if someone has only heard a 580 out of the audigy 2, they are going to think it sounds great. Hook them up to a meridian and a ray samuels stealth and I am sure their feeling will change.

Honestly, I didn't have any problems listening to my hd650s out of the d25s headphone out. It sounded really good. Later, when I put a ppa in between the two, my opinions changed.

May 19, 2004 at 9:22 PM Post #15 of 39
I'll clarify things for you:

Everything is relative. Do 580's sound great coming out of Audigy sound card? Compared to what? Compared to headphones that come with most portable CD players - YES!!!

Do 595's sound like crap without an amp? Compared to what? Compared to 650's out of Cary 300SEI, Stax Omega II or Orpheus - YES!!!

It's all relative. It all depends on how demanding you are and what you consider good. The more stuff you hear, the more EXPENSIVE stuff you hear, the more you realize just what the sound reproduction possibilities are and the more demanding and exacting you become.

Those who say that 580's sound great coming out of Audigy probably never heard a Class A set up. Does that make them wrong? No. Their opinions are just as valid. To THEM, it sounds great. Ignorance is bliss.

Same goes for the ones who say that 595's sound like crap without an amp. Their bar for acceptable sound is substantially higher.

I hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back