HD580 vs. ER4P for home listening?
Jan 13, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #16 of 49
i just state my personnal experience with er6 and my friend experience with er 4p/s. you don't believe , its your business but appar111, please do take note

Jan 13, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #17 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
i understand what you're talking about, and i think you're making an uninformed assumption with no basis in fact.

if you are enjoying the ety and face no unpleasant experience before, good for you , my ears may be more sensitive

but please respect peoples opinion , my negative opinion don't come from no where

Jan 13, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #18 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai
i just state my personnal experience with er6 and my friend experience with er 4p/s. you don't believe , its your business but appar111, please do take note

duly noted. although unlikely, the possibility for damage to one's ears, ear canals etc. does seem to be higher with canalphones, so greater care should be taken when using them to prevent such incidents.

Jan 13, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #19 of 49
hentai, be careful with the misinformation you're spreading. Saying that you had a problem with canalphones is one thing, but making a statement like believe me , ety phones ultimately unhealthly if not all canal phones is utter crap, to say the least. Just because one or two people have reported probelms in the last couple of months doesn't mean that the thousands of satisfied users of Ety and Shure canalphones are risking physical damage to their ears. I wear earplugs to work every night, does that mean I'm doing something unhealthy for my ears? No, I'm protecting my hearing. Due to the research that Shure and Ety have done on the design of their canalphones, I think it is very safe to say that at least 99.9% of the people who use Ety or Shure canalphones will have no physical problems with their ear canals. I've been using Etys for 3-4 years with absolutely no problems. I just hate when people try and spread misinformation
mad.gif
confused.gif

-Keith

Jan 13, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #21 of 49
I've heard that the Grado's brightness is more harsh, whereas the Ety highs are smoother, and while abundant, are supposed to be easier on the ears..

Jan 13, 2005 at 6:18 PM Post #22 of 49
I love my 4P and 4S, but would not want them as my only, or chief headphone. I find them drier than either the 325s or RS-1, and, while I enjoy the fast attack of the 4s, I fatigue quicker listening with them than with my 650s or 600s.

I love the 4 when i want an intense, personal musical experience. For long term listening, I use the grados or senns.

As always on head-fi, the answer is obvious-buy em all
tongue.gif

Happy shoppping!

Jan 13, 2005 at 9:38 PM Post #23 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai
freak accident do happen . like that guy who has ear bleed, so what if you make it germs free , clean your ears everyday, the ears still gets affected somehow. believe me , ety phones ultimately unhealthly if not all canal phones

Sorry but thats cr@p
mad.gif
Have you ever owned any IEM's? - with a stupid a55 opinion like that i doubt it...

Jan 14, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #24 of 49
Yeah, freak accidents do happen (I got a ruptured eardrum because of the Etymotic ER4P) (I wet the triflanges with water, but you shouldn't do that), but you shouldn't really say IEMs are ultimately unhealthy. If you take good care of yourself, then you won't have problems.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #25 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111

What's kobe tai dvd?

The only thing that I may not like about the ER4's would be the whole hygiene thing, as one would have to be religious in the cleaning of the tips, etc. to avoid getting ear infections and the like. May be too much effort/care versus the improvement in clarity.

Etys are safer than K0be Ta*....
very_evil_smiley.gif

If you are like those individuals that are washing their hands 100 times a day maybe Etys are not for you. Like so many other members here I use them on a quasi daily basis, not for now they are away for changing the old cable for the new cable and some minor repairs, and there is no real problems with using them that often.

The real balance is like having, as I do, contact lenses and regular glass to make a rotation.

Amicalement

Jan 14, 2005 at 4:09 AM Post #26 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic
The real balance is like having, as I do, contact lenses and regular glass to make a rotation.

Amicalement

contact lense , hah i never use that , i insisnt of using spectacles.

at first i did think that canalphones should be no concern to ear health but later i wonder whether ears are meant to be penetrated by canal phones in and out frequantly though ety and shure , esp ety who did research in ear health.

just like i told a person quit smoking , then he laughed and said something similar to what meithkiller has said, though there are people who died of lung cancer , there are millions of people who smoke and din die. a few weeks later he died of lung cancer caused by smoking.

ok we all know that smoking has negative impact on health, canalphone is debatable, sorry to ety users if i offend you all but i still stand by my conclusion at least for my personnal and my friend's experience.

last conclusion:
health hazard caused by canal phones is possible and worth a concern

however out of canalphones , ex71 is less unhealthy one

and ' as long as you take care , nothing will go wrong' but how many people can be consistant in this

Jan 14, 2005 at 4:51 AM Post #28 of 49
The 580's are a good place to stay for the moment, get to know them and get used to them. They have a decent balance to them and it's hard to improve on their sound without a substantial increase in money.

The Ety's I have always felt are a specialty headphone that you go to after you've tried other upper-end options. In my opinion, they should be left for those who can easily afford them and have the downstream components to justify them. I find them very uncomfortable, but for classical/jazz, they can hardly be beat for accuracy.

Jan 14, 2005 at 11:03 AM Post #29 of 49
For what it's worth, I have the Ety ER6's (bought almost a year ago after considerable lurking here) and just picked up the Senn HD580s. I've read the the ER4s have more bass, but with the ER6's, it's present but not nearly as satisfying as with my old Grado SR60's, or the Sennheisers, for that matter. The detail does jump out at you with the Etymotics, and I'm apparently not getting the best out of my Senns since I don't have a headphone amp for them (though the Porta Corda is on order from the group buy), but I can tell you that the comfort of the Senns is unparalleled compared to the Grados or the Etys. So far, listening to the Senns for hours on end is easy, and taking them off when necessary doesn't necessitate any involved ritual like it did with the Etys.

Just my opinion, of course, but I'm pretty happy with the Sennheisers for the type of listening I've been doing (they've come in particularly handy as I study for exams). The Etymotics are great, but for at-home satisfaction, I think the HD580's have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back