HD580 vs. ER4P for home listening?
Jan 14, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #31 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai
last conclusion:
health hazard caused by canal phones is possible and worth a concern

I will please you with this reply: you are 100% correct.

But, possible dont mean that it is probable. Your argument is only valid if you dont mix these two different concepts.

Thanks again for your stand about public health...
wink.gif

Amicalement

Jan 14, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #32 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
I currently have a pair of HD580's that I'm really enjoying. So much so, that I fear my poor SR60's may not get alot of use, as they sound so harsh by comparison. The only thing I can say about the HD580's is they're almost a little too warm sounding. Detailed--yes, but still a little warm sounding (with a Go-Vibe and AD8620 opamp). Perhaps the 580's need more burn-in time? They currently have about 50 hours or so on them.

I was wondering if it would be crazy to sell the SR60's and possibly the HD580's and go for some ER4s-- most likely the 4P's, which I can later add the 4P->4S adaptor to. I figure this would still give me the detail that I want from my recordings without thigns being quite so warm sounding. And if I start off with the 4P, which is a little less bright sounding than the 4S (from what I've read), it shouldn't be such a drastic shift of gears.

Would it be a bad idea to switch from 580's to ER4's? This will be for home use (sitting in bed, or at the laptop, or in the reading chair) so I don't think that the microphonics would be an issue, especially if the ER4's allow for more detail & clarity than the 580's.

The 580s will probably improve with more burn-in time; you might also consider upgrading the cable to improve the sound quality.

The ER4s certainly sound less warm than the HD580; you get 90% of the performance (in terms of detail) from the ER6 assuming they fit your ears well; they are somewhat less robust than the ER4s but that wouldn't matter much in home setting. I wouldn't be surprised if you found yourself missing the 580s for at least some listening choices if you only had Etys available to you.

Jan 14, 2005 at 6:36 PM Post #33 of 49
Quote:

ok we all know that smoking has negative impact on health, canalphone is debatable, sorry to ety users if i offend you all but i still stand by my conclusion at least for my personnal and my friend's experience.

You compared the Ety's to smoking, jebus save us...

Quote:

last conclusion:
health hazard caused by canal phones is possible and worth a concern

You are basing your opinion on one, possibly two instances of an issue with canal phones. Do you honestly think Etymotic, a company that has made IEM's, canal phones, hearing-aids, what have you, for over 20 years would still be doing so if they represented the slightest risk? While you are entitled to your opinion please realize that your opinion may be wrong.

Quote:

and ' as long as you take care , nothing will go wrong' but how many people can be consistant in this

If you can't handle personal hygene than you've got bigger problems to address than the potential damage caused by canalphones.

Enjoy life in the bubble...

Nate

Jan 14, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #34 of 49
n_maher said:
You compared the Ety's to smoking, jebus save us...

if you read the lines carefully , i am not actually comparing them

i am just giving a analogy to express this idea of ' dun think its a not problem just because its happens to a few percentage of the total users population'

Jan 14, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #35 of 49
If you can't handle personal hygene than you've got bigger problems to address than the potential damage caused by canalphones.
[/QUOTE]

what i mean is wearing canalphones whether at home or outside subjects to all sort of situations , how can be consistant in safety in both hygene or physical usage

like that guy who suffers ear bleed, he may be careful person but somethings may make him pull out the ety from ears quickly that damages his ears.

Jan 14, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #36 of 49
hentai, there are many theoretical dangers in the world. thousands of satisfied etymotic users worldwide seem able to cope ok with them; applying paranoia for your own protection is fine; thrusting it out upon the world of head-fi seems a little unfriendly.

wearing any headphones outside is a risk; a freak tornado might seize the cable and strangle you, or a trained monkey assassin might mistake you for a headphone wearing terrorist and attack you; not terrible likely and therefore not worth worrying about; similarly, you might have canalphones snatched from your ears unexpectedly, but even when this happens its unlikely that the angles of impact and extraction will result in a perfect seal being maintained whilst they are pulled from your ears; its not comfortable, and not something to seek out as a fun experience, but in my experience anyway it doesn't rupture your eardrums or make your brain leak from your nose; for the sound you experience with good canalphones and the benefits of the isolation you get I am willing to risk it.

Jan 14, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #37 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRich
similarly, you might have canalphones snatched from your ears unexpectedly, but even when this happens its unlikely that the angles of impact and extraction will result in a perfect seal being maintained whilst they are pulled from your ears; its not comfortable, and not something to seek out as a fun experience, but in my experience anyway it doesn't rupture your eardrums or make your brain leak from your nose.

Been there and submited to that.... thanks to an angry girlfriend annoyed by a combo of Head-Fi + Ety causing an obvious lack of response on my part ....
icon10.gif

No permanent damage, not even temporary either...

Amicalement

Jan 15, 2005 at 2:10 AM Post #38 of 49
appar111 said:
I figure this would still give me the detail that I want from my recordings without thigns being quite so warm sounding. And if I start off with the 4P, which is a little less bright sounding than the 4S (from what I've read), it shouldn't be such a drastic shift of gears.

I haven't heard the 580s, but I was pretty unhappy with the 4S. You'll get A LOT of high end detail, but I found them fatiguing and not good for listening to music.

Plus if your wife, roommate, kid or whatever wants to talk with you, you'll have to take one out and re-insert.... a hassle in my experience...

Austin

Jan 27, 2005 at 4:35 PM Post #39 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunter_Killer
I have both at my disposal. The hd580 gets the nod if I want to be comfortable. The pick goes to ER4P if I want to enter a different world
icon10.gif

Yeah that is the word... DIFFERENT WORLD keke
etysmile.gif

Jan 27, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #40 of 49
Quote:

Iwhat i mean is wearing canalphones whether at home or outside subjects to all sort of situations , how can be consistant in safety in both hygene or physical usage

like that guy who suffers ear bleed, he may be careful person but somethings may make him pull out the ety from ears quickly that damages his ears.

what do you think is a more real, immediate health threat: iem's or turning up open cans too loud to compensate for external noise?

i know you're just expressing (repeatedly) your opinion...

but my opinion is that your opinion is wrong.
etysmile.gif

Jan 27, 2005 at 9:58 PM Post #42 of 49
I love the isolation of canalphones, even at home. For me, the er6 with any tip are more comfortable than my Senn HD580, but I like to hear the phone ring or somebody knocking on the door. quantity of ety bass is =( maybe I should try more EQing..

Feb 26, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #43 of 49
I also addicted to the isolation the ER4S has.. Even at home in my own private room. I only listen to my grado or my sportapro with my PC OFF, FAN OFF and aircon on only... because the slight environment noise is so unbearable to me now.
etysmile.gif

The ER4 is save to the ear.. u dun have to increase the volume o compensate for the noise.

Feb 26, 2005 at 5:20 AM Post #44 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by photographlondon
If you find the Grados too bright and like the HD580 sound I personally don't think you're going to like the Etys, they're *really* bright.

in regards to the original post: the SR60s fatigue me within an hour, but I can listen to the ER4Ps for much longer. I put several hours in one sitting on them on a weekly basis and its rare that I have any discomfort or fatigue.

My vague memory of the HD580 was that it was very distant... But, perhaps photographlondon is right if you like the sound of the HD580s... I would take Grados over the HD580, even though it was relaxing and had a nice soundstage, so I might just prefer a brighter sound that may not be for you.

On second thought, this post has turned out to be pretty useless hm?
smily_headphones1.gif

jesse

Feb 26, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #45 of 49
My experience is with the 580's, 600's and 650's. Also have the SR60/60 and Ety ER-4p's. If I could keep only one, I'd have to keep the 4p's. They're just so versatile. For travel and late nite listening when you don't wish to disturb anyone, they can't be beat. You already know the signatures of each but if you can, I'd keep all of them. Seriously, there are times when only the Ety's will do. Other times, you may want a smoother ride and prefer the 580's. As for the SR-60's, if you have to let one pair go, this would be the ones I'd part with. Love 'em but they'd be the odd man out with me. Again, if you could only keep one, I'd go with the 4P's and get the p->s converter. JMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back