HD580 vs. ER4P for home listening?
Jan 13, 2005 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
I currently have a pair of HD580's that I'm really enjoying. So much so, that I fear my poor SR60's may not get alot of use, as they sound so harsh by comparison. The only thing I can say about the HD580's is they're almost a little too warm sounding. Detailed--yes, but still a little warm sounding (with a Go-Vibe and AD8620 opamp). Perhaps the 580's need more burn-in time? They currently have about 50 hours or so on them.

I was wondering if it would be crazy to sell the SR60's and possibly the HD580's and go for some ER4s-- most likely the 4P's, which I can later add the 4P->4S adaptor to. I figure this would still give me the detail that I want from my recordings without thigns being quite so warm sounding. And if I start off with the 4P, which is a little less bright sounding than the 4S (from what I've read), it shouldn't be such a drastic shift of gears.

Would it be a bad idea to switch from 580's to ER4's? This will be for home use (sitting in bed, or at the laptop, or in the reading chair) so I don't think that the microphonics would be an issue, especially if the ER4's allow for more detail & clarity than the 580's.

Jan 13, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #2 of 49
frankly speaking , you shouldn't buy sr60 at the 1st place , as you already sportapro, though sr60 sounds better , but only slightly , lets say if you combine hd580 and sr60 together , you may get a hd650 2nd hand or what ,

now all that are history, just sell your sr60 and buy some CDs , or some games , stick to hd580 , be a loyal fan to it , heckcare others , 4p/s unhealthy for ears , sterile sounding

buy some kobe tai dvd instead

Jan 13, 2005 at 3:25 PM Post #3 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai
frankly speaking , you shouldn't buy sr60 at the 1st place , as you already sportapro, though sr60 sounds better , but only slightly , lets say if you combine hd580 and sr60 together , you may get a hd650 2nd hand or what ,

now all that are history, just sell your sr60 and buy some CDs , or some games , stick to hd580 , be a loyal fan to it , heckcare others , 4p/s unhealthy for ears , sterile sounding

buy some kobe tai dvd instead

Thanks for being frank on the subject. I also have the KSC-75's, which have replaced the recently retired Sportapros, so if the SR60's are too bright for my taste, perhaps I should just sell them, since the KSC-75's amped are pretty much a warmer sounding version of the SR60. And I could always use that extra $50-60 from selling the SR60 to buy some NIN special edition cd's that I've been eyeing.... What's kobe tai dvd?

The only thing that I may not like about the ER4's would be the whole hygiene thing, as one would have to be religious in the cleaning of the tips, etc. to avoid getting ear infections and the like. May be too much effort/care versus the improvement in clarity.

Jan 13, 2005 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 49
kobe tai is a chinese american **** star
biggrin.gif

at home i prefer using non cannal phones , er4p/s has too much hazzle and not durable. be a team hd580 fan. i have the sr225 and wanted to just buy hd650 and thats it (sr225 is still a keeper as it sound damn great for some music which i like the most) hd650 is for music that needs soundstage and darkness). outside usage , ksc-75 is great , and with go vibe its better still.

Jan 13, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 49
ahhh, a **** star.... hmm....

seriously though, thanks for your opinion. I may have to put an interest check out for the SR60's. They sound really great through the headphone jack on my receiver, because I can add a little bass to them to blend with their brighter sound. The result is great, but I rarely use that receiver. Oh well, an interest check in the FS forum can't hurt, right?

Jan 13, 2005 at 3:47 PM Post #6 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
Would it be a bad idea to switch from 580's to ER4's? This will be for home use (sitting in bed, or at the laptop, or in the reading chair) so I don't think that the microphonics would be an issue, especially if the ER4's allow for more detail & clarity than the 580's.

If it were me I'd keep the 580's and get the ety's too!
600smile.gif
etysmile.gif

Actually, I did just that - but in the reverse order. I've had my Etys for about a year and I'm burning in my 600's now. The 4p/4s cable is on the way so in two weeks I'll be able to give a much better formed opinion but here's how I currently feel.

Ety's - The high end on these is absolutely amazing. Stunning if you will. The clairity and resolution of detail is fabulous, especially with an amp (even my little cmoy). The bottom end is okay, very defined and tight, and if they were the only headphones I listened too it'd probably be just fine. I find them very comfortable w/ one exception - you cannot hear anything going on around you w/ them on. My GF hates this, I love it. I can be in the living room w/ her watching TV and be completely absorbed in the listening experience. They are much more portable given their size and ability to function very well w/o an amp.

600's - The only real difference (in my limited experience) between these and the etys is on the bottom end and the level of isolation. While the sound signature of both is unique they do a similar job on the high end in terms of separation and detail. The 600's may have a slightly larger "headstage" but honestly I'm not that fancy a listener. The bottom end is an entirely different feel from the Etys. The base just has more presence and impact. A little less detail than the Etys but not in a negative way IMHO. Ambient noise plays a much larger role when listening to the 600's as they let in everything. For me it just means that I have to find a quiet room in the house to listen to them. The 600's are also MUCH harder to drive and do not sound nearly as good un-amped and are far less portable.

That's it for now.

Nate

Jan 13, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #7 of 49
yeah , did jude put a censor in this forum ?? , don't sell away things rushli , last time i sold the akg 501 , i abit regret, however later i don think i will like it, as for the sold creek amp , actualli the sound is not bad but certainly not good value (commercial amps always like this)

maybe your mood affects your taste ? brightness of grado irritates you at times?

Jan 13, 2005 at 4:19 PM Post #8 of 49
Quote:

yeah , did jude put a censor in this forum ?? , don't sell away things rushli , last time i sold the akg 501 , i abit regret, however later i don think i will like it, as for the sold creek amp , actualli the sound is not bad but certainly not good value (commercial amps always like this)

maybe your mood affects your taste ? brightness of grado irritates you at times?

Yeah, sometimes the brightness gets to me, other times it's not a big deal, depends on my ears that day, I suppose, and what I'm listening to. But the Grados are so clear sounding in the midrange... perhaps I should hold onto them for when my ears get "moody"?

Jan 13, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #9 of 49
i always think grado is the best when you imagine you are a rocker and doing some hand movement as though you are playing the electric guitar so fast that end up smokes

Jan 13, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #10 of 49
Quote:

....4p/s unhealthy for ears...

unhealthy? why do you say that?

confused.gif

Jan 13, 2005 at 4:47 PM Post #11 of 49
freak accident do happen . like that guy who has ear bleed, so what if you make it germs free , clean your ears everyday, the ears still gets affected somehow. believe me , ety phones ultimately unhealthly if not all canal phones

Jan 13, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #12 of 49
Quote:

freak accident do happen . like that guy who has ear bleed, so what if you make it germs free , clean your ears everyday, the ears still gets affected somehow. believe me , ety phones ultimately unhealthly if not all canal phones

that's poppycock.

any headphone is potentially unhealthy... just crank up the volume.

ety's are no more dangerous than any other can.

Jan 13, 2005 at 4:57 PM Post #13 of 49
hah, i am not talking about volume. i am talking about the impact the canal phones had on the ear canals, the skin, like the stress , pressure , pain ,

if you change to foams , foams fabric may stuck in your ear

if wanna talk about volume , there are cases that you may increase the volume accidently or certain music needs more volume. headphones , at least theres some distance from your ear drum , how about canal phones??

Jan 13, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #14 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
that's poppycock.

any headphone is potentially unhealthy... just crank up the volume.

ety's are no more dangerous than any other can.

if you think its poppycock , how about the guy who has ear bleed?, its an accident but it did happen to someone.

Jan 13, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #15 of 49
Quote:

hah, i am not talking about volume. i am talking about the impact the canal phones had on the ear canals, the skin, like the stress , pressure , pain , if wanna talk about volume , there are cases that you will increase the volume accidently or certain music needs more volume. headphones , at least theres some distance from your ear drum , how about canal phones??

i understand what you're talking about, and i think you're making an uninformed assumption with no basis in fact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back