HD555, MS-1 or ATH-AD700?
Jan 20, 2008 at 7:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

K3cT

Headphoneus Supremus
First of all, I apologize for the generic sounding title but I really can't come up with something better.
biggrin.gif

So here I am with my first purchase in serious cans and with my budget of $100, all these 3 seem like reasonable options. I listen to a lot of instrumentals (think of movie soundtracks and such), electronica, hip-hop, and occasional rocks. It will also be a plus point if the cans are good for movie and gaming since I do that too. Comfort is an important factor as well as I usually wear my headphone for up to 5 hours everyday. I think I will purchase an amp in the near future, with the iBasso P2 being the most likely candidate ATM, so that could be a consideration as well.

Looking forward to hear the opinions of fellow Head-Fi-ers. Thanks in advance!

Jan 20, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #2 of 25
I have the MS-1s don't have a driving bass so for some music electronica, and hip hop it might be a little weak. But the mids and highs are pretty sweet. It's not the most comfortable phone in the world but honestly i love them.

Jan 20, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #3 of 25
For movies and gaming I would have to say its a tossup between the AD700's and the HD555. Electronica is probably better on the AT's or sennheisers and hip-hop and rock on the Grados. In terms of comfort I would have to say the Grados are the least comfortable. AT's are good unless you find velour itchy. Don't know anything about the Senns. In the end its up to you. They all have their good points and bad points.

Jan 20, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #5 of 25
You want to get the AD700 then. I have both the HD555 and AD700 and there is no comparison in my opinion. The AD700 has better soundstage, positional audio, separation, detail, and clarity.

The bass is much quicker and tighter and the highs are much more detailed and energized without being harsh. The HD555 sounds too laid back, dull and muffled in comparison. The only fault of the AD700 is the bass can be to little for some people but I think it is perfectly fine since im not a bass head. The bass on the HD555 is slow and boomy in comparison. I found the mids on the HD555 to be harsh at times while on the AD700 they are smoother. Its not that the HD555 are bad (especially if you want a laidback sound) they just dont compare to the AD700 for the same price. This is only my opinion so keep that in mind as others may prefer the HD555.

The MS-1 are similar to the AD700 but are more in your face sounding and lack the soundstage and positional audio for games, movies and classical music/movie soundtracks. They may do slightly better for faster paced music like rock, pop, hip hop, and electronica though.

The AD700 are the most comfortable with the HD555 a close second. The MS-1 is the least comfortable of the 3 but not uncomfortable. Opinions on comfort vary though.

Either way you cant go wrong with any of these choices, it just depends on what you are looking for. If you want a warmer more laidback sound, get the HD555. If you want a slightly brighter, more energized and fun sound get the AD700 or MS-1.

Jan 20, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #7 of 25
I think I will narrow down my choices to the AD700 and HD555 since they seem to fit general usage better than the MS-1 based on my research here. Will this be a wise decision?

Also, the general consensus here is that the AD700 seems to have less bass than the HD555. Is this true?

Jan 20, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I will narrow down my choices to the AD700 and HD555 since they seem to fit general usage better than the MS-1 based on my research here. Will this be a wise decision?

Also, the general consensus here is that the AD700 seems to have less bass than the HD555. Is this true?

This would be a wise decision for games and movies, but for music I prefer the MS-1 over the HD555. I prefer the AD700 over both though for music as well as games and movies.

The AD700 do have the least quantity of bass of the 3 but in my opinion it has the best quality bass (tight and quick). The HD555 have the most bass but I dislike the way the bass sounds on the HD555. It is muddy and boomy in my opinion. The MS-1 is somewhere in between.

Here is a review comparing the HD555 and AD700. He shares the same opinion as me.
Headphonic :: View topic - Review: Audio Technica ATH-AD700

Jan 20, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #9 of 25
@JayB18
It's strange that AD700 doesn't seem to get much discussions here considering that most people that use it find that it's better than the HD555 which is a crowd-favorite here. Since I can only get the AD700 from Audiocubes, it's priced about $40 more than the HD555. You think it's worth the price premium?

Thanks for the review link BTW. Gonna read it now.

Jan 20, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #10 of 25
In my opinion it is worth the $40 more. I'm assuming you live outside of the United States or Puerto Rico. Newegg.com has them for around $100 but only ship to these 2 locations.

Jan 21, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #12 of 25
I just ordered my AD700's from newegg. Should be here Tuesday if you cant to wait for my opinion.

Jan 21, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #15 of 25
I have AD700s and MS1s. The AD700s have the typical AT house sound of a subdued bass and refined treble. I hear they're designed to sound good with Japanese pop music. The AD700s with their angled drivers have a big SS and image quite well which makes them good for movies and games. The MS1s are refined Grados for adults -lots of thrills and chills but SS and and imaging are not their strong suits. The AD700s have enormous earmuffs so they're super comfortable and the MS1s make you look like a ham radio operator but in their own way they're very comfy too. If I had to pick just one it would be the MS1s because they're simply much more fun and isn't that really what it's all about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back