HD555 inner cloth removal.
Dec 21, 2010 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Mr_Nibbles

New Head-Fier
I have done the soundstage mod on my HD555's but I am curious if anyone has removed the white fabric inside the cans. It seems to be glued to the plastic frame, and when removed it would allow a completely open headphone. This mod would be irreversible, so i need to know if this is a bad idea. I never use them outside so I don't mind if this lets dust in or anything.

Dec 21, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 13
Well thanks for the help guys :wink: I was up until three oclock watching the eclipse last night so I got bored and cut the white cloth out.

Here are my initial impressions:
Less boomy/punchy bass.
Even wider soundstage.
Bright and almost shrill at higher volumes.
Far less midrange volume.

I will have two sets of unmodded 555's to compare these to. I will update this thread then.

This makes my 555's a lot like Grados imo.

Dec 21, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 13
I left the ones surrounding the drivers in to help protect them. I'm really starting to like the new sound with rock. I didn't see any structural purpose for them other than to prevent dust maybe, but they definitely had a purpose from an audio standpoint. I'm liking them a lot so far. I am going to pick up my friend's 555's now so I can compare.

Dec 21, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #7 of 13
your supposed to keep the back wave and the front wave of the driver separated. what you did was completely open them up. now they pretty much have no baffle at all and are just sorta suspended in mid air. i would imagine you killed off most of your bass and lower mid-range. the front wave and back wave are now fighting with each other and creating cancellation.

Dec 21, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #9 of 13
and this is a good thing?

as long as you're happy. that's what matters most.

Quote:
That is precisely what I am hearing. Less punchy bass and a lot less low midrange.

Dec 21, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
and this is a good thing?

as long as you're happy. that's what matters most.

Quote:
That is precisely what I am hearing. Less punchy bass and a lot less low midrange.

If this was my only pair of cans I wouldn't be devastated. For the music I listen to I do like the new sound, it isn't as "good" as previously, but it is a whole new sound. As I said before I think they sound a lot like Grados. After listening to them a friend commented on how they sounded like Alessandro MS-1s

In conclusion: Don't do this mod unless you want a higher end emphasis and only if this isn't your main can.

I'm going to experiment with re sealing the new holes with different material now.

Dec 22, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #11 of 13
cool, as long as you're happy.

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #12 of 13
Sorry for offtopic, but:
I think I see cracks on your HD555, how long has it been there? I have those on mine too, like most other people. They are very small for now but i'm scared shitless that as the cracks get bigger the drivers with the whole casing are gonna eventually just snap off. I didn't buy theese phones for a few days you know :D

Jan 24, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
your supposed to keep the back wave and the front wave of the driver separated. what you did was completely open them up. now they pretty much have no baffle at all and are just sorta suspended in mid air. i would imagine you killed off most of your bass and lower mid-range. the front wave and back wave are now fighting with each other and creating cancellation.

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back