hd555/hd595
Sep 29, 2004 at 5:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

unkoman

100+ Head-Fier
Heeello people at head-fi! This the perfect place to discust about headphones.

My first question is:
1. What is the significant difference between HD555 and HD595?
2. Does HD 595 worth more than Hd555 for the price?
3. Does the sound reflecter in the HD555 create a surround sound-like sound with stereo musics too?
Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Sep 29, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by unkoman
Heeello people at head-fi! This the perfect place to discust about headphones.

My first question is:
1. What is the significant difference between HD555 and HD595?
2. Does HD 595 worth more than Hd555 for the price?
3. Does the sound reflecter in the HD555 create a surround sound-like sound with stereo musics too?
Thanks!
biggrin.gif

1: With the 595 you get a more even bass response and a bit more detail top to bottom.
2: When I owned both at the same time, and I thought their prices were consistant with their performance. Others might disagree with that. The 555 is the most bang for the buck in the series. I think the 595 is the way to go if you have a good source/amp or are interested in improving your system (and most of the people who frequent this board, are
600smile.gif
).
3: The 595 has the same reflector, they just don't mention it. The exterior of each is identical except for the colour and the headband pad (555=velour / 595=pleather).

Sep 29, 2004 at 5:38 AM Post #3 of 6
Nierika:
Thanks for the fast reply! I usually listen to classical and jazz but I listen to all kinds of musics such as pops and rocks. My primary source will be from my sony dvd player linked to denon avr-1802 with optical cable. Will this set up be enough to max out the headphones capabilities?

Sep 29, 2004 at 6:22 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by unkoman
Nierika:
Thanks for the fast reply! I usually listen to classical and jazz but I listen to all kinds of musics such as pops and rocks. My primary source will be from my sony dvd player linked to denon avr-1802 with optical cable. Will this set up be enough to max out the headphones capabilities?

The 555 is probably the most appropriate for that setup. However, if you plan on improving your source/ICs and purchasing a dedicated headphone amplifier eventually, go for the 595. The 595 will persuade you to upgrade moreso than the 555!

Sep 29, 2004 at 11:23 AM Post #5 of 6
The 555 and 595 have a similar sound signature but the 595 does everything better than the 555. Clearer sounding and better bass. The difference is most noticeable with good source and headphone amp. Without a headphone amp they may possibly sound similar. I think the 555 is underpriced while the 595 is slightly overpriced. The 555 is the bargain buy in it's price range and they can both handle a variety of music very well.

The choice comes down to the 555 if you like good sound or 595 if you're a headphone nerd and can warrant the higher price to satisfy your curiosity.

Edit: I have changed my mind and I don't think the 595's are slightly overpriced. They are perfectly priced and are worth buying instead of the 555's if you have a headamp and the extra cost is not an issue to you. If you think you will be wondering what you missed out on if you buy the 555's, you should get the 595's. Bear in mind that I only just got the HD 595's so am probably suffering from "I love this new gadget" syndrome.

Oh yeah...Welcome to head-fi, sorry about the wallet.

Sep 29, 2004 at 1:04 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
I think the 555 is underpriced while the 595 is slightly overpriced. The 555 is the bargain buy in it's price range and they can both handle a variety of music very well.
Edit: I have changed my mind and I don't think the 595's are slightly overpriced. They are perfectly priced and are worth buying instead of the 555's if you have a headamp and the extra cost is not an issue to you.

If you shop around and look for deals, the difference in price between the two cans is as little as $60, which could make the 595 upgrade worth it, IMO. I am getting my 595 today - can't wait
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back