HD280 vs Beats by Dre
Mar 15, 2009 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

egarren7

New Head-Fier
I am looking to buy a new headphone. I currently hve the Senn HD280, but I am considering getting the Beats by Dre for their comfort and style. I have a had a chance to try them on, but I am not good at determing audio quality. I am wondering if anyone knows how the Beats compare to the HD280 in terms of audio quality, comfort and any other characteristics. If it is better, what other headphones would you suggest for around the same price range? Thanks!

Mar 15, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #2 of 48
Your ears should tell you what you like, NOT US! If you've already tried the beats and honestly don't know whether if one's better than the other, then you should just stick with the HD280.

On a side note, within the $300 price range, the Denon D2000 is one of the best for their comfort.

Mar 15, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #3 of 48
well hd280 doesnt really have much bass, i would get something, anything, actually with more bass than that
and i flat out refuse to believe that the beats headphones could seriously sound good

if you must have closed, how about k271s? or ATH ES7?
owning just one of these cans would keep me away from Head-fi (a good thing) ...too late now though

Mar 15, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #4 of 48
Beyerdynamic DT770, anyone? Never heard or wore them myself, but I guess they should be exactly what you're looking for. They're said to be extremely comfortable, and they sure have more than enough bass. They can be had for about the price you're willing to pay. Here's one for $200, actually. Free shipping, too.

EDIT: That DT770 is the 250Ω version, meaning it's not suited for unamped mobile use. For that, you need an 80Ω version. This Pro version, for example. It's cheaper, too: $150. Not as good looking as the consumer edition, though.

Mar 15, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #5 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengt77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beyerdynamic DT770, anyone? Never heard or wore them myself, but I guess they should be exactly what you're looking for. They're said to be extremely comfortable, and they sure have more than enough bass. They can be had for about the price you're willing to pay. Here's one for $200, actually. Free shipping, too.

EDIT: That DT770 is the 250Ω version, meaning it's not suited for unamped mobile use. For that, you need an 80Ω version. This Pro version, for example. It's cheaper, too: $150. Not as good looking as the consumer edition, though.

Actually.. I think the pro edition looks better :x

Mar 15, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #6 of 48
REMEMBER, Dr. Dre Beats speaks quality and awesomeness because it was created by Monster! And we know Monster makes quality cables with no influence of marketing on their prices, logically deduce their only headphones, Dr. Dre Beats at $300 means its quality. And that $300 has nothing to do with marketing, its solid research and development behind that price. And of course, when I want a headphone designed, I turn to Dr. Dre cause he's so smart.

Mar 15, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #7 of 48
I A/B'd these yesterday against my 325is just for kicks. I was surprised that even with an internal amp, they had very 'soft' dynamics. Kick drums and high hats had almost no impact, even for closed phones. They also had soft, somewhat flabby, bass. I mean the lows were there but they weren't very tightly controlled. Rolled off highs as well. I wouldn't call it quality for sure but it was definitely 'inoffensive' which is what they are going for, I guess.

They were very comfortable, I'm guessing they are not totally closed.

Mar 15, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #8 of 48
beerchug.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
REMEMBER, Dr. Dre Beats speaks quality and awesomeness because it was created by Monster! And we know Monster makes quality cables with no influence of marketing on their prices, logically deduce their only headphones, Dr. Dre Beats at $300 means its quality. And that $300 has nothing to do with marketing, its solid research and development behind that price. And of course, when I want a headphone designed, I turn to Dr. Dre cause he's so smart.

beerchug.gif
icon10.gif
LOL.

Seriously though , the Beats will be bass heavy while the 280 is anemic and thin. The Beats would also offer more comfort , while the 280s offer a vice grip approach to a headband. If your serious about some decent sound with a little less bling try the D2000 from Denon.

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #9 of 48
Hi and welcome to Head-Fi.

Not many members will advise anyone to go with the Beats. If you get a chance to give them an audition, your own opinion of them is all that matters.

I've never heard them, but at their price there are a LOT of great headphones so you should shop around as much as you can.

The DT770Pro 80ohm, are about $150 these days and I can definitely recommend them. They are very comfortable and an be driven fairly easily. They are really bassy and the highs can be a bit sharp (sibilant) with some material.

I've heard the Denon AH-D2000 and they are a great phone too.

Good luck to you.
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well hd280 doesnt really have much bass, i would get something, anything, actually with more bass than that
and i flat out refuse to believe that the beats headphones could seriously sound good

if you must have closed, how about k271s? or ATH ES7?
owning just one of these cans would keep me away from Head-fi (a good thing) ...too late now though

Are you seriously suggesting the K271s after talking about wanting more bass??

I'd look at the DT770 (though the version I heard wasn't that bassy either, very balanced actually) or the D2000 (FWIR, never tried them)

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #11 of 48
Quote:

best post of the week
beerchug.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #12 of 48
The K271S (here amped by a Zero DAC/AMP) show a forward midrange, but they rely solely on the recording for bass. That is, they give a bit of emphasis to the midrange, but if the original recording doesn't emphasize the bass, the K271S won't do it, possibly making some music sound a bit "lifeless". They're great headphones, but they don't have a fun sound signature, if the OP is looking for that.

Mar 15, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #13 of 48
Quote:

dr. dre is actually incredibly smart and talented. don't be an ass just because you don't understand him.

Mar 15, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #14 of 48
the Beats get dismissed way to quickly for being made by Monster/Dre. I've only seen a handful of serious auditions and they where not bad at all, the rest is just screaming after listening to a BestBuy demo pod. (which is bad demoing, not necessarily bad sound!).
Now, I haven't heard them either, so I can only comment on what I observe on this forum...

Mar 15, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #15 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by beez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dr. dre is actually incredibly smart and talented. don't be an ass just because you don't understand him.

i think you know he was quipping about Dr Dre's lack of engineering proficiency. dont try to start a fight

Users who are viewing this thread

Back