HD25-SP-II is impressive, is HD25-1-II that much better?
Feb 23, 2011 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kite7

Headphoneus Supremus
I initially bought these for my workplace a year ago to occasionally listen to voice recordings and probably had about 10 hours on them at most but don't work there anymore so I finally brought them home to listen to music with it. The first thing I thought was, is the HD25 that much better than the SP model? I'm already quite impressed running it off my mp3 player.

They are quite good, very enjoyable to listen to and has good PRaT. I liked these more than the HD580 I owned. They definitely have the fun factor and the sound in general has a little warmth. It's not the typical sennheiser sound that bores me to death. The headband on the HD25SP is incredibly light and the clamping force is perfect for long listening sessions.

First off, the bass. The bass impresses me, there's a good amount and it is punchy; it is not boomy and it has a quite solid impact. Sure, there's some midbass boost but it is quite enjoyable.

The treble is not really pronounced, and I can hear the details just fine. It is not incredible sparkly like grados and it's more gentle to the ears.

Soundstage is similar to grados if not a little wider, I feel right at home with these HD25SP coming from grados.

The midrange I found to be quite lush, not recessed but not extremely forward like grados either.

I always read people saying the HD25 is much better (but not what exactly is better about it sound wise...), but how many of them actually listened and owned both? I have a feeling there's way too many assumptions going on here. I would be quite impressed if the HD25 is really that much better than what I'm already hearing on my HD25SP. The difference in quality of the headband and cost between the two models is enough to make up the cost differences.

Mar 19, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #4 of 4
I listened  HD25 SP in a shop time ago and I did not like them very much. Recently I bought HD25 II for portable use and though I have better sounding cans for my home rig  I'm quite satisfied with HD25 connected to Cowon D2 or J3.
Cannot compare the two models but think the  higher price is justified by a better sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back