HD25-1 IIs or ms400s
Sep 29, 2010 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

legodt

100+ Head-Fier
I have been looking for a good pair of cans to replace my PortaPros. I currently listen to a lot of chiptunes, some indie rock, and a smattering of classical music. Both of these cans have their strengths and weaknesses, so I want you to decide. (I don't trust myself) Quick note: These cans will be driven only by onbaord audio or a PMP.

Sep 30, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 9
I really doubt more than two or three people have heard both as only a handful here even own the MS400. I wish the poll was open so we could see who voted. I didn't vote myself as I think the headphones are too different to be compared - one is bottom heavy, relaxed, and smooth and the other is balanced and aggressive, even metallic at times. If you like the balance and tone of the PortaPros I'd go for the Phiatons. If you're looking for a (big) change - the HD25.

Sep 30, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 9
While you are here, I just wanted to tell you that you are the person that made me fall in love with Head-Fi. I send your IEM review post to all of my non-audiophile friends when they are looking for something nice, and almost all of them join immediately after reading. Your review of the ms400 seemed a little negative when it came to the highs, but your comment about soundstaging and "grating" sound tipped me back over the the Phiaton camp. I will definitely go for the Phiatons now, unless you suggest a pair of IEMs that sound better.

Sep 30, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks, appreciate that. That was the thread's original intention (not the head-fi membership part... the steering people in the right direction part) so I'm glad it's working. 

As for the MS400, you have to remember that it's all highly comparative. Compared to the HD25 the MS400 sounds very tame and a bit rolled-off in the highs. Compared to a more mainstream-sounding set like the Denon D1001k or Bose QC, the highs are very competent. 

As for IEMs that sound better, in-ears are inherently different from portable headphones and I don't know if I'd recommend jumping into the deep end of the pool with a $200 IEM. If I had to find the MS400's sound in IEM form, I'd probably pick the Radius DDM (which is actually a bit cheaper than an MS400 but carries a bunch of YMMVs). 

Sep 30, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #7 of 9
It sounds like higher frequencies are softer/ more attenuated than lower ones. If you run a 20hz-20k sweep (with a counter) on something with severe roll-off you won't hear much past a certain point. If you run it on a relatively flat and well-extended phone, you'll get more information out of it at the top (assuming your track even has information past 10 or 12kHz). 

Quote:
What does roll-off sound like in the highs, does it just sound a bit too much like mids?
Also, rock on!

Sep 30, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #8 of 9
Please do not leave this site, ever.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back