HD DVD - Is it worth it?
Jan 21, 2008 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Headphoneus Supremus
Let me preface this by saying I love high quality things, especially crisp, rich video and audio. The 'extreme' version of T2 comes to mind.

However i'm a bit hesitant to jump into HT using HD just because of the price requirement to join this little club.

Is it worth it? What say you
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #2 of 43
I'd suggest holding off a bit longer and see which format comes out in the lead. Right now there seem to be a few companies/studios that plan to go to specifically Blu-Ray format. I have yet to purchase either.

Jan 22, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #3 of 43
With the current situation the way it is, HD-DVD has much less backing and support than it did prior to CES. Blu-Ray has taken a huge lead, but it is still possible for them to squander it and let HD-DVD back into the game. I say, if you haven't invested in the hardware for either format yet, do what PYROphonez said and wait a bit longer for a firm winner to come out.

Jan 22, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 43
For $100 you can probably find an HD-DVD player (That's what I did). $200 gets you a newer one. Then use Netflix.

I have both and I will say that it seems more of the movies I choose are on BluRay. Still, I'm glad I have my HD-DVD player.

GAD

Jan 22, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #6 of 43
I'm going to wait on this one, too.

HD is nice, but I still think DVD is pretty good. I'll wait until one of the formats officially folds and prices drop as everything shifts to the new format. Probably 3-4 years out, but I don't care. There are plenty of inexpensive DVDs out that I like just fine.

Jan 22, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #7 of 43
With many major companies who were previously HD-DVD exclusive now switching to Blu-Ray, the format war is pretty much determined. Right now, imo, it really wouldn't be worth plunging money into a sole HD-DVD player. Waiting would be an option if you're not in a hurry, but right now I don't see Blu-Ray losing when they're doing quite well.

Jan 22, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #9 of 43
Eh, my biggest HDTV is 26" and I use stereo headphones so there really is no point to an HD format. What is your setup going to be?

Jan 22, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #10 of 43
I'm holding off on HD-DVD and BluRay. I'm convinced before the year's end we're going to see a greater number of downloadable HD options (at 720p to start), and those formats will leapfrog both HD-DVD and BluRay soon thereafter.

--Chris

Jan 22, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #12 of 43
I saw the post in the other thread. There the question isn't "Is HD-DVD worth it", but rather "Is HD worth it".

Which do you want to know? IMO, HD is absolutely worth it if you're a movie buff.

GAD

Jan 22, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happymonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With many major companies who were previously HD-DVD exclusive now switching to Blu-Ray, the format war is pretty much determined.

one major studio and the studio it owns... a handful of european studios are switching too but who cares about europe? oh and only 2 major studios were hd dvd exclusive... and still are

HD DVD still has alot of fight... and unlike bluray which actually has ads that slam HD DVD toshiba is not going after Bluray... they are taking on the real big dog and targeting j6p and his DVDs... lowering the MSRP on the low end players to the same area as the upconvert players and using the player's upconversion abilities as a major selling point

Jan 23, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one major studio and the studio it owns... a handful of european studios are switching too but who cares about europe? oh and only 2 major studios were hd dvd exclusive... and still are

HD DVD still has alot of fight... and unlike bluray which actually has ads that slam HD DVD toshiba is not going after Bluray... they are taking on the real big dog and targeting j6p and his DVDs... lowering the MSRP on the low end players to the same area as the upconvert players and using the player's upconversion abilities as a major selling point

that would be great if they had more support than 2 studios and more
mfgs making players but sadly enough the future looks like another
betamax for hd-dvd and that is a shame because the xa-2 was one of
the best players made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back