HD DVD - Is it worth it?
Jan 23, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #16 of 43
At around $100 for a player you can't go wrong. I have the add on for the 360 and it's great.

Contrary to what the generally misinformed public thinks, the war isn't nearly over. With the current pricing of HD DVD hardware we might see HD DVD slowly gain lost ground. People seem to forget that the studios have switched exclusivity before.

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #17 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that would be great if they had more support than 2 studios and more
mfgs making players but sadly enough the future looks like another
betamax for hd-dvd and that is a shame because the xa-2 was one of
the best players made.

well if you must they have more thasn 2 studios... dreamworks which is owned by paramount, and supposedly the weinstein company is still hd dvd exclusive... even though they haven't released a high-def disc since june

but when looking at potential content
Universal & Paramount Catalog Titles... - AVS Forum

Jan 23, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #18 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me preface this by saying I love high quality things, especially crisp, rich video and audio. The 'extreme' version of T2 comes to mind.

However i'm a bit hesitant to jump into HT using HD just because of the price requirement to join this little club.

Is it worth it? What say you
smily_headphones1.gif

If it was a good choice, it sure isn't anymore! Didn't you hear, Time Warner just went all BluRay? And I have no objections. BluRay is higher quality than HD DVD.

Also, the discs read and spin up in the players a lot faster than HD DVDs do. This is a minor point, but one that is good to know and hardly ever mentioned.

Jan 23, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #19 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At around $100 for a player you can't go wrong. I have the add on for the 360 and it's great.

Contrary to what the generally misinformed public thinks, the war isn't nearly over. With the current pricing of HD DVD hardware we might see HD DVD slowly gain lost ground. People seem to forget that the studios have switched exclusivity before.

i'm in the installation part of the ht world and most are currently wanting
blu-ray.

Jan 23, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #20 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'll give you $10 if HD DVD wins the war. (seriously, if it does, track me down and I'll paypal you $10).

Jan 23, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll give you $10 if HD DVD wins the war. (seriously, if it does, track me down and I'll paypal you $10).

I never said HD DVD would win. I just pointed out some facts. Take a deep breath, count to 10, give a hug, do what ya gotta do.

I own a PS3 and 360 add on. I have 27 Blu-Ray movies and 18 HD DVD movies. I bet you $100 I'm keeping at least one once the war is over. How bout that?
tongue.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #23 of 43
The problem to me at this point is the price of media. It's just very hard to stomach paying $25-40 for movies that could easily be had on DVD for ~$10. I'm going to give it a 12-18 months, and hopefully by then HD media will have become much more ubiquitous and hence less expensive. It looks damn great, at least with the right movies, but it's just not worth it to me at this point, as a non-moviephile.

Jan 23, 2008 at 10:00 AM Post #24 of 43
It's not just the media that's expensive, you also have to mention the source you're watching on. That also adds to costs.

However you can find deals online, you just need to look. I know Amazon.com has a lot of Buy-One-Get-One deals for blu-ray and hd-dvd. Not to mention they generally have a cheaper price than a lot of brick and mortar stores like Circuit City and Best Buy.

Jan 23, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #25 of 43
where on earth are you finding new release titles for 10.00 on sd
and why would mfgs make a disc with higher resolution picture and
sound and sell it below the tuesday 15.00 rate for sd.

Jan 23, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #26 of 43
im not buying blu ray cause i dislike sony, even if it wins, at my parents house they have a hd player and it seems to jitter on wide angle landscapes, fine on close ups but it drives me mad!

id need a big v to make it worth it, at £20 a title, pfff i dont think so

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #27 of 43
Quote:

If it was a good choice, it sure isn't anymore! Didn't you hear, Time Warner just went all BluRay? And I have no objections. BluRay is higher quality than HD DVD.

minimal difference if any... plus BDJava is a joke and warner execs have been overheard making negative comments about it... it's also a non-finalized format and if you bought a player that is profile 1.0 or 1.1 you're stuck the only option for upgrade is buying another player unless you have a PS3

Quote:

Also, the discs read and spin up in the players a lot faster than HD DVDs do. This is a minor point, but one that is good to know and hardly ever mentioned.

read speeds are identical

i'll support hd-dvd right to the end... not matter which it is that ends it... bluray or being replaced by a newer format (some time in the future we might see 4000p displays and players)

of course i'll also be getting a PS3 as soon as my tax refund goes through so i'll have that for bluray exclusives since i doubt we'll see just one format anytime soon

Jan 23, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #28 of 43
i like both formats i think the best players are the xa2 for toshiba
the bd10 from panasonic but most of all when implemented on
blu-ray 1080p with dts-master all else to close to call.looking forward
to see reviews on the new panasonic bd 50.

Jan 26, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #30 of 43
Quote:

BluRay is higher quality than HD DVD.

On what do you base this statement?

I have both and I have yet to see a movie on one format look better than the other. Doesn't mean they don't exist, but I haven't seen any that made me say "Wow I'm glad i have THIS format!".

GAD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back