HD 800S vs HD 600 for mixing and mastering
Jun 14, 2018 at 11:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

MorrisL

100+ Head-Fier
I recently went into a major studio where the audio engineer, a millionaire who can afford any headphones, was using HD 600 on his mixing desk, with his high-end speakers and all the other marvelous gear I saw there. Seeing that, I assumed he just didn't know about higher-end headphones, but I was wrong. Turned out he knew a lot. Enough to know about the HD 800 and HD 800S and that the "S" version fixed that unfortunate "peak" that bothered people. I asked why he didn't upgrade to the 800S. And his answer was that headphones with such large soundstage are wrong tools for mixing work. He said some more but I didn't really understand his explanations. I am unlikely to see him ever again...

What do you guys think? I was considering the HD 800S, but should I avoid it if I need a neutral headphone, for late night mixing and mastering? Sold my HD 600 long ago, but I can afford both now.

Jun 14, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #2 of 53
Headphone FR will effect the outcome of sound preference. With HD800, the engineer may add more bass and less treble to compensate for the headphone response.

FR of monitor will likely effect their preference of the final outcome. Due to this, tracks vary in how it is mastered, and what headphone/speaker sounds out of it.

I recall a thread of tracks mastered with HD800.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #3 of 53
Headphone FR will effect the outcome of sound preference. With HD800, the engineer may add more bass and less treble to compensate for the headphone response.

FR of monitor will likely effect their preference of the final outcome. Due to this, tracks vary in how it is mastered, and what headphone/speaker sounds out of it.

I recall a thread of tracks mastered with HD800.

But the HD 800S is quite neutral, no? At least, as neutral as the HD 600...

Jun 14, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 53
Depends on what your idea of neutral is, is it widely accepted, etc.

This hobby has that relativeness about it. With wide range of headphones available, recommendations vary.

Amen to that.

FWIW MoorisL, I've been on a quest of sorts for a HP for mix work in my studio. I did have the HD600 at one point, I found their lushness to be a bit distracting when trying to focus on separation and instrument definition. (I didn't have a very fancy amp at that time to be fair)

I have since been using the Oppo PM3 much of the time. Love much about them (mids) though like SilverEars said, this stuff has a "relativeness about it" and they lack a little up top and, a little sub region IMO. Still, I keep them and find much to appreciate about them with a good amp etc.

I just sold the LCD X which was hard to do as their bottom end was pretty damn trustworthy and nice mids, just couldn't after time live with the upper mid / lower top recession. That and their weight can be an issue for me anyway. When listening to the right material, they can be a true joy. Just maybe not the best studio tool. (they may revise the X a bit further towards that role in some time I hear)

I just got, lived with for a few weeks, and returned the Beyer 1990's. Pretty good but wasn't into to bit of a top end spikey-ness to my ears. That and I wasn't "feeling them" a whole bunch.
Also had the AKG 240DF which I thought had a boggling degree of lack of bass. Not sure if it was just my pair or not. As others say they're exceedingly flat in the studio. ?

So now, I have the Aeon opens coming in a few days. I'm "sure" they won't be perfect, nothing is, but we'll see. Hope they'll be a counter balance type option to the PM3's.
Also going to try them with the Gilmore light MK2. (off my Dangerous DAC)

I've come to believe that although "I want close to neutral-ish" ...I also want them to have a significant degree of engagement about them. Otherwise, what's the point. Sure we need no significant gaps or lies that we in turn, under, or over compensate for but, it's music. And one also needs to be engaged and enjoying what you're hearing.

Add to that, we all hear things a bit differently (our physical ear shapes etc) Heavily subjective stuff, and very relative to all other components in the signal path.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #8 of 53
Chris.d.m, I do have some experience with most headphones you mentioned. What I found was the HD 600 was very reliable in mixing work. I could honestly not even bother checking with monitors and could finish projects on the 600s and have them translate well. I rarely had problems with tracks not sounding right after mixing with the 600s. Yet most people say, HD 800S easily makes the HD 600 obsolete. I just want to know how... Is it just the soundstage? If it is, then according to this engineer I quoted, headphones with very wide soundstage are the wrong tools for mixing work.

Jun 16, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #10 of 53
I agree.

I used to have HD600 and I still have HD800S.

I mix for a living.

I mix most of the time with CD900ST modded and now with MDR-1Am2.

I use the HD800S for finishing phase after 80% completing the mix with the CD900ST.

I wonder why you replaced your HD 600 in favor of MDR-1Am2 - a stylish fashion headphone advertised for its "heavyweight bass" and "inline mic" if you are using it for mixing.

Jun 16, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #11 of 53
HD600 has been a standard mixing and mastering headphone for a very long time.

One of the most "neutral" measuring headphones is the Audio Zenith PMx2. It seems like this would be worth researching if money isn't a concern.

Jun 16, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #12 of 53
I wonder why you replaced your HD 600 in favor of MDR-1Am2 - a stylish fashion headphone advertised for its "heavyweight bass" and "inline mic" if you are using it for mixing.

HD600 was replaced 1 year ago when I got my HD800s.

I can't use one type of headphone for my work (just like you don't use one type of speakers to check your mixes).

I didn't even look at the AM2 before I try it on and check my work. It actually is a completion of what I was using (CD900ST is GREAT for mixing for me, but lacks a little low end and high end)

Jun 16, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #13 of 53
HD600 has been a standard mixing and mastering headphone for a very long time.

One of the most "neutral" measuring headphones is the Audio Zenith PMx2. It seems like this would be worth researching if money isn't a concern.

I've heard the OPPO but felt a bit too light (frequency response) for me.

I would be curious to listen to the PMx2.

Jun 16, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #14 of 53
Which version of the OPPO? It is essential that it be PMx2 from Audio Zenith, not the PM-1 or PM-2, which are far less neutral, muddy, and claustrophobic by comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back