HD 800S vs HD 600 for mixing and mastering
Jun 16, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #16 of 53
Alex at Audio Zenith radically modifies the PM-2, so yep, that's why! Since OPPO had discontinued the line, these will become more rare, unfortunately. If neutrality is your criteria, I would suggest looking into this though.

Jun 16, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #18 of 53
Chris.d.m, I do have some experience with most headphones you mentioned. What I found was the HD 600 was very reliable in mixing work. I could honestly not even bother checking with monitors and could finish projects on the 600s and have them translate well. I rarely had problems with tracks not sounding right after mixing with the 600s. Yet most people say, HD 800S easily makes the HD 600 obsolete. I just want to know how... Is it just the soundstage? If it is, then according to this engineer I quoted, headphones with very wide soundstage are the wrong tools for mixing work.

Wondering if your friend, and you are powering the HD 600 with anything special?

I've been testing out the Aeon opens and the Gilmore light mk2 today. I'm trying to reserve judgment but thus far wrestling with what I hear as the Aeon have a bit of a U shaped character.
On 1st impression (which I've come to trust) may not be ideal for my mixing needs, but I'll keep listening a bit more.

After coming from the LCD X's I have to wonder...what is it about these otherwise fine HP's that the designers are compelled to not voice them more truly. Of course this is just my opinion.
Maybe the challenges of creating such a balance are much more tricky than I can imagine. I'd guess that may be.

Not a fan of EQ'ing so to me, If they could just give a wee nudge in the upper mids dept... :)

Jun 17, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #19 of 53
Wondering if your friend, and you are powering the HD 600 with anything special?

I've been testing out the Aeon opens and the Gilmore light mk2 today. I'm trying to reserve judgment but thus far wrestling with what I hear as the Aeon have a bit of a U shaped character.
On 1st impression (which I've come to trust) may not be ideal for my mixing needs, but I'll keep listening a bit more.

After coming from the LCD X's I have to wonder...what is it about these otherwise fine HP's that the designers are compelled to not voice them more truly. Of course this is just my opinion.
Maybe the challenges of creating such a balance are much more tricky than I can imagine. I'd guess that may be.

Not a fan of EQ'ing so to me, If they could just give a wee nudge in the upper mids dept... :)

He had no interest in amps whatsoever. I think he used some standard output from somewhere behind his desk... I'm assuming a proper neutral amp for mixing. I kept asking about it and he didn't seem to know or interested enough to discuss amps. His main idea was that the HD 600 translates very well and the HD 800S, according to him, would not. His problem with the HD 800S didn't seem to be the u-shaped FR either, rather the very large soundstage. I am still trying to understand why.

Jun 17, 2018 at 4:55 AM Post #20 of 53
I find the Sennheiser HD600 to be a euphonic consumer headphone. This surely is not ideal for a microscopic analysis of how a music track sounds. Surely something like a Beyerdynamic DT880 pro would give a more accurate picture. You might be interested in item 6 on an earlier post of mine regarding soundstage.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/curious-about-soundstage.874155/

Jun 17, 2018 at 5:31 AM Post #21 of 53
I find the Sennheiser HD600 to be a euphonic consumer headphone. This surely is not ideal for a microscopic analysis of how a music track sounds. Surely something like a Beyerdynamic DT880 pro would give a more accurate picture. You might be interested in item 6 on an earlier post of mine regarding soundstage.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/curious-about-soundstage.874155/

You have a point. I just don't understand why you see it on nearly every serious engineer's desk.

The upper mid bump might be especially problematic to deal with.

Jun 17, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #22 of 53
Perhaps sound engineers use monitors to tailor the recording, then use the HD600 to see what large numbers of headphone listeners are likely to hear ?

Jun 17, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #24 of 53
He had no interest in amps whatsoever. I think he used some standard output from somewhere behind his desk... I'm assuming a proper neutral amp for mixing. I kept asking about it and he didn't seem to know or interested enough to discuss amps. His main idea was that the HD 600 translates very well and the HD 800S, according to him, would not. His problem with the HD 800S didn't seem to be the u-shaped FR either, rather the very large soundstage. I am still trying to understand why.

Amp changes the headphone monitoring game.
Give Little Labs Monotor or Rupert Neve Headphone amp a try.

Jun 17, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #28 of 53
Yeah the ubiquitous M50's and 7506 for tracking are everywhere but, I "would" be surprised to see a quality mixer using them for referencing / mix decisions.
I don't think they're so bad but dang, quite a bass boost and not very trustworthy.

Still think the 600's are not ideal for getting focus however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back