HD 800's the future but what about the past?
Jan 9, 2009 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Stevie B

Head-Fier
With the new Sennheiser HD 800's released (or very soon to be released) many people (myself included) thought that these will drive down the current prices of all the Sennheiser models especially the HD 600 & 650's. Now after seeing the hefty $1400 price tag that the 800's carry I'm not so sure that they will drive the prices of the other models down, due to the large price gap between them and 650's. Do you think the release of the 800's will effect the prices of the earlier models in the near future?

Jan 9, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #2 of 10
no not at all the HD800's are in a completely different price range aiming at a different market

Jan 9, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #3 of 10
Yeah thats what I figured too! Oh well, I guess we'll see a lot of them on the for sale forum by those who want to upgrade.

Jan 9, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #4 of 10
It's more like we'll see expensive phones like the Ultrasone Edition 9 and maybe a few Stax phones for sale to fund this kind of purchase rather than any sub-$1000 phones dropping in price.

Jan 9, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no not at all the HD800's are in a completely different price range aiming at a different market

Agreed.

Jan 9, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #6 of 10
No, I don't think so.
They are in two totally different price segments, and targeted different buyers.

Jan 9, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #7 of 10
Most HD-800 buyers will be able to afford to keep their other headphones. Sennheiser is trying to capture a different market segment here - people who can afford a $1,400 headphone don't need to worry about unloading a $300 one.

The only hope is that Sennheiser will release the HD-680, updating the 600/650 and discontinuing those. If that happens, you might be able to grab a $150 HD-600, like when the HD-580 was discontinued.

This is an interesting gamble for Sennheiser. Around $1,500, the market shifts. The traditional selling point for headphones is that you get more sound for less money. I'm still trying to rationalize a pair, which might change after hearing them. I thought the HD-800 would have a MSRP around $1,000 (D7000, DX1000 and GS-1000 territory) with a street of $700-$800. But at nearly twice that, they run close to a used pair of quality loudspeakers. Some used speakers around $1,500 that interest me are the Magnepan 1.6QR, Klipsch LaScala, Quad ESL-57, and Quad ESL-63. That money would also come close to buying a set of drivers for Linkwitz Orion loudspeakers, which I'm thinking about building. Can the HD-800 really hang with the ESL-57? The ESL-57 is an unqualified classic and the other four aren't far behind. And could headphones really make a run at an Orion?

Another part of the gamble is what competitors will do. AKG is a rival and still has the very, very capable K-1000 within reach. If the HD-800 sells in any quantity, the K-1000 could go back into production and be priced $500 less. Grado could roll out a successor to the HP-1000 and Beyerdynamic is capable of great things. Their vastly underappreciated DT48 is as detailed as anything I've ever heard - something along those lines but more consumer friendly would be a contender.

This should be interesting.

Jan 9, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most HD-800 buyers will be able to afford to keep their other headphones. Sennheiser is trying to capture a different market segment here - people who can afford a $1,400 headphone don't need to worry about unloading a $300 one.

The only hope is that Sennheiser will release the HD-680, updating the 600/650 and discontinuing those. If that happens, you might be able to grab a $150 HD-600, like when the HD-580 was discontinued.

This is an interesting gamble for Sennheiser. Around $1,500, the market shifts. The traditional selling point for headphones is that you get more sound for less money. I'm still trying to rationalize a pair, which might change after hearing them. I thought the HD-800 would have a MSRP around $1,000 (D7000, DX1000 and GS-1000 territory) with a street of $700-$800. But at nearly twice that, they run close to a used pair of quality loudspeakers. Some used speakers around $1,500 that interest me are the Magnepan 1.6QR, Klipsch LaScala, Quad ESL-57, and Quad ESL-63. That money would also come close to buying a set of drivers for Linkwitz Orion loudspeakers, which I'm thinking about building. Can the HD-800 really hang with the ESL-57? The ESL-57 is an unqualified classic and the other four aren't far behind. And could headphones really make a run at an Orion?

Another part of the gamble is what competitors will do. AKG is a rival and still has the very, very capable K-1000 within reach. If the HD-800 sells in any quantity, the K-1000 could go back into production and be priced $500 less. Grado could roll out a successor to the HP-1000 and Beyerdynamic is capable of great things. Their vastly underappreciated DT48 is as detailed as anything I've ever heard - something along those lines but more consumer friendly would be a contender.

I am waiting for the street euro price for HD800, I agree good pair of used ESL-63 give you amazing quality of sound for not much money, but not amazing amounts, but enough to me
smily_headphones1.gif

The thing with quad speakers is the magic of not sounding too much like a speaker, and still very few colorations, they really got them right. I havent heard the latest model yet, i hear they can now go quite loud.

Jan 9, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

...Another part of the gamble is what competitors will do. AKG is a rival and still has the very, very capable K-1000 within reach. If the HD-800 sells in any quantity, the K-1000 could go back into production and be priced $500 less...

Not to mention the long awaited K801, 1 upping the HD800.
popcorn.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Yeah, thats an interesting point.
Sennheiser and AKG being strong competitors, and hence it would be no surprise if AKG come up with a rivaling product. Perhaps based on the legend K1000.

We can always wish!
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back