HD 800 S Anniversary Edition
Sep 24, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #256 of 309
Got mine in today, 104/750. As mentioned by others, the color is even nicer in person! Sound is great as expected and as a sucker for collectors items, I'm very happy to have this version of the headphones. The HD 800 holds a special spot in my equipment collection—certainly one of, if not the, most important and influential headphones in my audio history. I had been thinking about picking up a set of HD 800 S recently and then I saw this Anniversary Edition come up so it's basically two birds with one stone, glad I waited!

A bit disappointed that the presentation seems to be a slight step down from when I got my original HD 800, for instance the cables aren't branded with Sennheiser on the plugs or y-split anymore. Not really a big deal.

More disappointing for me is that there seem to be paint defects on my brand new set. I wonder, has anyone else seen this with theirs?
They're all relatively small, but it does bring the excitement down. Also interesting is that all flaws are on the right side, the left side is perfect.
A couple of pictures below, more here: https://imgur.com/a/os7rU1X

pDq48dy.jpg

rs4OPCL.jpg
No big deal but I feel you should talk to your dealer and get it replaced in case it bothers you

Sep 25, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #257 of 309
Got mine in today, 104/750. As mentioned by others, the color is even nicer in person! Sound is great as expected and as a sucker for collectors items, I'm very happy to have this version of the headphones. The HD 800 holds a special spot in my equipment collection—certainly one of, if not the, most important and influential headphones in my audio history. I had been thinking about picking up a set of HD 800 S recently and then I saw this Anniversary Edition come up so it's basically two birds with one stone, glad I waited!

A bit disappointed that the presentation seems to be a slight step down from when I got my original HD 800, for instance the cables aren't branded with Sennheiser on the plugs or y-split anymore. Not really a big deal.

More disappointing for me is that there seem to be paint defects on my brand new set. I wonder, has anyone else seen this with theirs?
They're all relatively small, but it does bring the excitement down. Also interesting is that all flaws are on the right side, the left side is perfect.
A couple of pictures below, more here: https://imgur.com/a/os7rU1X

pDq48dy.jpg

rs4OPCL.jpg

To me this paint job for something so beautiful and collectable is not acceptable . Personally if it came like that i would call the dealer so they can send them back and paint them again.

Sep 25, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #258 of 309
To me this paint job for something so beautiful and collectable is not acceptable . Personally if it came like that i would call the dealer so they can send them back and paint them again.
So true, one of the important parameter of limited edition item is aesthetic and it must be immaculate

Sep 25, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #259 of 309
Thanks guys. Agreed that the finish is especially important on an expensive, limited edition product. Mostly curious to see if I was just unlucky.
I worked with my shop already to get an exchange, hoping for the best!

Sep 25, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #260 of 309
Thanks guys. Agreed that the finish is especially important on an expensive, limited edition product. Mostly curious to see if I was just unlucky.
I worked with my shop already to get an exchange, hoping for the best!

I didn't see anything like that on mine

Oct 2, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #263 of 309
I dont know how they look upclose ... But those photos WOW just WOW they look beautiful really nice ( its not goldish color at all)
They look amazing in person. It's more of a silvery tan color than gold, and the color kinda swings between silver and tan depending on the lighting

Oct 3, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #266 of 309
I dont know how they look upclose ... But those photos WOW just WOW they look beautiful really nice ( its not goldish color at all)
Perhaps "champagne" is also a good description.

Oct 5, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #268 of 309
Oct 9, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #269 of 309
There is a massive gap between $1699 and $60000.

I directly compared my LCD4 to my HD800S and the Audeze's bass performance was miles ahead leading me to sell the Sennheisers. I'll be the first to be excited when Sennheiser actually decide to raise their game. Until then others can buy all the gold editions...
Raise their game or raise their bass?

Ah I see. Bass impact like in the Amiron or anything else? Trying to have an idea.
This colorscheme is very nice, exactly as how I like it but I can't justify the purchase.
I agree. The HD800S does not lack bass. It's bass is just about right. You won't ask for more unless you are a basshead.

Oct 9, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #270 of 309
I agree. The HD800S does not lack bass. It's bass is just about right. You won't ask for more unless you are a basshead.
What does basshead mean exactly? Like a boombox bass from the 80's? :p

The HD800S Anni looks enticing but I want the damn HD700!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back