HD 800 S Anniversary Edition
Jan 9, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #301 of 309
Am I going mad?

I originally bought these 2 days ago, and was blown away - noticed aspects of my favourite songs I hadn't previously. Loved it. Listening on macbook Spotify 320kpbs modi2/magni3.

However I had to give them away - my new pair of the same special edition headphones arrived today and.. they honestly don't sound as good

Whilst the soundstage is all there, those same newly discovered details in songs were a little more difficult to discern on the new headphones. It didn't even sound sibilant like the first pair did, a property that was really apparent initially

I don't know if it is my ears playing up, or my brain playing tricks on me. I thought perhaps it was the volume I listened at initially, but even ramping it up on the 2nd pair didn't reproduce the s***-eating grin I had when listening to the 1st pair

Is it possible for small manufacturing differences to produce discernible differences?

I think Sennheiser has very very low unit to unit variations particularly on their flagships so what you are experiencing is very strange....

You could get them measured by headphones.com or simply ask for a replacement unit. 2 X 800S should not sound noticeably different.

Jan 12, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #302 of 309
*Check that the pads are snapped in properly.

*Check if pads are similarly new or if first unit pads not new, as pad wear causes slight audible change.

*Check if the dust covers are same as other unit, and are on correct sides. Should be, but you never know.

*Check if you have 800 or 800S driver inside there as well. Maybe a mistake.

*Check if unit is a return (problem?)

In my experience, Driver variance was non existent in about 4 out of 5 units I used & tested.
Most of the time it was the pads that caused changes, but I did have one old unit that I found different(slightly darker), but it was a very old unit...

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #303 of 309
*Check that the pads are snapped in properly.

*Check if pads are similarly new or if first unit pads not new, as pad wear causes slight audible change.

*Check if the dust covers are same as other unit, and are on correct sides. Should be, but you never know.

*Check if you have 800 or 800S driver inside there as well. Maybe a mistake.

*Check if unit is a return (problem?)

In my experience, Driver variance was non existent in about 4 out of 5 units I used & tested.
Most of the time it was the pads that caused changes, but I did have one old unit that I found different(slightly darker), but it was a very old unit...
The pads look similarly new.

You're spot on about the dust cover actually, its not sitting properly in the cups, sort of has a large air bubble underneath it on the base of the cups. Ive flattened it now and will have a listen

May 2, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #304 of 309
Lol just finnished reading this.. seems this thread dryed out together with the stocks.. lets get on enjoying my 1st gen 800's 😉

Aug 22, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #305 of 309
Reviving this thread a little...I was lucky enough to find a pair of HD800S Anniversary from @xanlamin. Excited to join the club. I haven't heard HD800S in a long time, maybe for 10 minutes at a meet a few years ago.

This will also be my first Sennheiser headphone since 2005.

Interesting fact, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro was my first 'real' headphone as it was recc'd by a friend who works in media. I switched to ultimate ears iem (when Jerry Harvey was running it) for a long time before delving back into the headfi with Sony Z7. It's poetic, it began with Sennheiser and now I can enjoy HD800SA after many years in the hobby :)

edit: I have some new gear coming for HD800SA as well. Shanling M30 should be arriving tomorrow and I can try the HD800SA with my Woo WA7 (bought some Mullards for the occasion).

Aug 22, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #306 of 309
Reviving this thread a little...I was lucky enough to find a pair of HD800S Anniversary from @xanlamin. Excited to join the club. I haven't heard HD800S in a long time, maybe for 10 minutes at a meet a few years ago.

This will also be my first Sennheiser headphone since 2005.

Interesting fact, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro was my first 'real' headphone as it was recc'd by a friend who works in media. I switched to ultimate ears iem (when Jerry Harvey was running it) for a long time before delving back into the headfi with Sony Z7. It's poetic, it began with Sennheiser and now I can enjoy HD800SA after many years in the hobby :)

edit: I have some new gear coming for HD800SA as well. Shanling M30 should be arriving tomorrow and I can try the HD800SA with my Woo WA7 (bought some Mullards for the occasion).
Congratulations!! You will love it.

Dec 7, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #308 of 309
Hmm, I have the opportunity to buy the anniversary edition in a local deal this weekend. Are they quite hard to find nowadays?
Totally worth getting if you like the colorway and are paying less than a $250 premium on them :)

They sound identical to the black HD800S.
1E670A5D-ABF5-4368-8F83-F07F64279BD9.jpeg
9E1DC469-4ED0-4784-ADC8-FF7EC55F67F0.jpeg

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back