HD 800 (really considering it)
Oct 20, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #16 of 36
The Beyerdynamic Tesla T1.1 is a better all rounder than the HD800.
Both are neutralish and both very detailed but the T1 is warmer and not as bright in the 6kHz region so it provides a more realistic tonal balance with a wider range of recordings.

Both are great in terms of soundstage and instrument separation, much, much better than the M100.
HD800 has the edge in terms of width, but also has a different slighly more diffuse kind of soundstage next to the more focused T1.1

If you don't want to break the bank you can pick the AKG K712 pair it with a good DAC/Amp and call it a day.

In case you are wondering...
HD700 is a less refined HD800 BUT it's warmer and thus it works very well with some recordings the HD800 doesn't.
It's also more compact and thus the fit is definitely better if you move around with your headphones on.
Both HD700 and HD800 are quite picky with recordings mainly due to their particular frequency response.

Oct 24, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #17 of 36
I'll have to test a few models out, thanks again for replies.
Never tried that make of headphone before so Richer Sounds may have to be an option

After seeing reviews of the new Shiitz Jotunheim, I'm really considering this with a set as my first and only DAC/AMP. I have the PA2V2. That is as far as I have ever gone.

How would the Jotunheim sound with the HD700-HD800 for example? Has anyone got both yet?
I know the Hd 800 is tricky to drive properly to get a full sound, but this may fit the bill as a good all rounder..

Oct 24, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #18 of 36
Never tried that make of headphone before so Richer Sounds may have to be an option

After seeing reviews of the new Shiitz Jotunheim, I'm really considering this with a set as my first and only DAC/AMP. I have the PA2V2. That is as far as I have ever gone.

How would the Jotunheim sound with the HD700-HD800 for example? Has anyone got both yet?
I know the Hd 800 is tricky to drive properly to get a full sound, but this may fit the bill as a good all rounder..

Jotunheim is not a safe pairing for HD800 or HD700.
Most people would prefer Modi 2 Multibit + Valhalla 2 (or Vali 2) for HD800 and HD700.

Check this comment (it's quite representative)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution/5310#post_12959745

Oct 24, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #19 of 36

I really don't recommend the Jot for the 800. Much better pairing with my Valhalla 2 at a cheaper price.

I would also recommend a Mimby + Valhalla 2 or Vali 2 in that same price range from Schiits lineup.

Oct 24, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #20 of 36
Or HD800 with Liquid Carbon maybe 
rolleyes.gif

Can't really comment on what DAC to get because I'm still looking for one myself.
There are a lot of used Liquid Carbon here lately with the lowest for $500 for the 1st version. Well, they do have problem but as long you're careful, that should be okay.

Oct 24, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #21 of 36
Or HD800 with Liquid Carbon maybe :rolleyes:
Can't really comment on what DAC to get because I'm still looking for one myself.
There are a lot of used Liquid Carbon here lately with the lowest for $500 for the 1st version. Well, they do have problem but as long you're careful, that should be okay.

Lifetime transferable warranty makes that a non issue IMO.

I never tried the Carbon with an 800 but it did a great job with an Ether. I know the Cavalli house sound lends itself well to the 800.

Oct 24, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #22 of 36
Lifetime transferable warranty makes that a non issue IMO.

I never tried the Carbon with an 800 but it did a great job with an Ether. I know the Cavalli house sound lends itself well to the 800.

More the so if you're in the US too. Shipping it back & forth is easy.

The Carbon is great with the HD800 as well since it leans toward the warmer side. What I noticed when I paired my HD800 with the Carbon was more bodied lows with good rumble, a bit thicker mids, however came at a cost. Treble seemed to decrease which is good to tame the HD800's treble peak, but at the same time I also noticed less extension and clarity. But again it was only noticeable on critical listening and during my ownership, I could still enjoy the Carbon (because the Crimson needs warm up time and sometimes I'm too lazy to turn it on). Had to sell it to fund new DAC.

Oct 26, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #23 of 36
More the so if you're in the US too. Shipping it back & forth is easy.

The Carbon is great with the HD800 as well since it leans toward the warmer side. What I noticed when I paired my HD800 with the Carbon was more bodied lows with good rumble, a bit thicker mids, however came at a cost. Treble seemed to decrease which is good to tame the HD800's treble peak, but at the same time I also noticed less extension and clarity. But again it was only noticeable on critical listening and during my ownership, I could still enjoy the Carbon (because the Crimson needs warm up time and sometimes I'm too lazy to turn it on). Had to sell it to fund new DAC.

Also enjoyed the hd800 with the LC... a multibit dac is the icing on the cake! I used a Audio Gd Dac 19 myself.

Oct 26, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #24 of 36
So confused... Haha...
Almost puts me off knowing how much work I'd have to do to get an amp that works.
So the Valhala 2 with the Multibit DAC from them would be good?

You could go completely wrong, get the HD800 and get an amp that makes the headphone sound like something a lot cheaper...

Almost makes me want to stick with my M100s. The PA2V2 has improved the mids actually in all fairness but it has affected the bass extension but it does sound warmer.

Shame I missed out on those Stax Z reviewed on Youtube. Only recently found his channel

Oct 26, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #25 of 36
Also enjoyed the hd800 with the LC... a multibit dac is the icing on the cake! I used a Audio Gd Dac 19 myself.

If Audio GD I want to go with the older big boys like Ref 7 or something similar because I need a DAC big enough for my Crimson to stand on top of it.
Well, multibit is the third in my requirements anyway so I'll just keep searching.

So confused... Haha...
Almost puts me off knowing how much work I'd have to do to get an amp that works.
So the Valhala 2 with the Multibit DAC from them would be good?

You could go completely wrong, get the HD800 and get an amp that makes the headphone sound like something a lot cheaper...

Almost makes me want to stick with my M100s. The PA2V2 has improved the mids actually in all fairness but it has affected the bass extension but it does sound warmer.

Shame I missed out on those Stax Z reviewed on Youtube. Only recently found his channel

Apparently yeah tube amps are what people normally recommend, to be safe. You can always try step by step, until you reach the region where the amp & DAC cost more than your HD800 each... Of course you can avoid that region too if you want to.

Stax is safe if you can stay at entry level Stax. I daresay the entry level Stax is a system with best value in the headphone world.
But if you want to step into higher end Staxen, it'll cost more and more work to get the amps too. More complicated than HD800's system.

Oct 26, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #26 of 36
How do people figure out what works and what doesn't apart from spending thousands on different equipment?
I.e I could get the HD800 and an amp everyone else thinks is horrible but I won't know what I'm missing as I don't know what I'm listening for in regards to a better amp.

I do need a DAC+Amp though. That is why the USB on the Jotenheim sounded like such a good deal

Oct 26, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #27 of 36
How do people figure out what works and what doesn't apart from spending thousands on different equipment?
I.e I could get the HD800 and an amp everyone else thinks is horrible but I won't know what I'm missing as I don't know what I'm listening for in regards to a better amp.

I do need a DAC+Amp though. That is why the USB on the Jotenheim sounded like such a good deal

At the price of Jot w/dac i think you would be better looking into a modi multibit and a Vali 2. I personally cannot confirm this but I've read it many places and it seems to make sense.

Lots of people go to local meets or if they are lucky enough to have a local shop near by they can do that. Me personally I buy and sell on the classifieds to try new gear. If your smart with your purchases the loss is minimal.

Oct 26, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #29 of 36

As for me, fortunately I like the general sound of the HD800. That's it. At first I didn't think much about the amp and just used what I had (Aune T1).
You first have to like the sound of HD800 although of course you can gamble on the tube amp as people recommended.

I also sometimes buy & sell gears here. Just recently I decided to stay away from further upgrades and just keep my HD800, that's why I pulled the trigger on more expensive amp.
Can't say anything about the Jotunheim, I never own Schiit stuffs. I pretty much gambled my way up til now too.

The Vali doesn't have that 4 pin out instead of just headphone out. Does that make much difference?

No.

Oct 26, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #30 of 36

I go to meets usually lots of good gear at most all I've been to and really good people also. It's worth the drive. You can also hit up a Canjam can't wait for April to go back to SoCal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back