HD 800 (really considering it)
Oct 18, 2016 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

musical-kage

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

My past headphones have been the Sennheiser Px100's (they were amazing to me) and 2 years ago I bought the V-Moda M100s which I thought were even better. To me, they offer a really realistic sound, with stuff in tracks I could never hear before.

But now I'm wondering if I should go all out and buy the best for the money, that I can buy now.
Really considering the HD800.

Now I know the S versions have been released which fix a 6khz spike, but I can buy the original set for around £650 used. Is this a good price for them?

Now... with the right amps, would I really notice a lot more detail for the money? The M100s seem to me really detailed. How much more am I missing in tracks?

So I have a PA2V2 right now, but I do find myself both sitting on computer listening to music and also while washing pots, in bed at times on low.

What would be the best used recommendation for a good desktop/better portable amp for these?

Portably... I tend to run from my phone via Spotify which at 320kbps is fine but would I really have issues with this with a good amp and these cans?

Been tempted with these for a while so a bit of general advice would be great.
Sorry about the long post :)

Oct 18, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 36
That is a decent price for them. I don't own them but have heard them several times at meets. They do tend to be picky on amps but you'll hear tons of comments that this is better and the same number say sounds better out of that . I've only heard them out of fairly pricey stuff. Modded 800's can also be something to consider. Can't remember the mods but out of a Microzotl 2 they were very good as with a Questyle dual mono system can't remember the model. For detail and soundstage they are very very hard to beat. I have the HD 700's that I love out of a Bottlehead Crack and I bet the 800's would sound good also. For portable don't know a lot of amps but many say they sound very good out of the QP1R dap . I love my QP1R with everything I have. I have almost bought them a few times but didn't have the right amp to run them now I do but a bit tapped out at the moment. I know this does help much but for detail and soundstage not many come close. This is just my opinion YMMV.

Oct 18, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 36
There's a dedicated thread for the hd800, your questions would be better answered there. I'll make it quick. Get a schiit mutibit dac & and vahalla2 amplifier and your just starting to unleash these headphones.

Oct 18, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 36
There's a dedicated thread for the hd800, your questions would be better answered there. I'll make it quick. Get a schiit mutibit dac & and vahalla2 amplifier and your just starting to unleash these headphones.
+1 on multibit Valhalla2 will need differential tubes than stock to me it was very SS with stock tubes very good and powerful amp though.

Oct 18, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 36
Thanks for replies guys.
Just starting to unleash them with those products?! Damn...
How far could you go?

Kind of put off tubes though after I've heard stories of amps using tubes that have set alight for guitars and need tonnes of work to keep them working good.
Looks attractive though.

Maybe I should go for the Hd 700s instead if they are less picky?

Just not sure how much more info I could grab with my ears but I'm liking the idea of that wide soundstage.
Songs like 'Weather With You' for example.

Oct 18, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #6 of 36
Thanks for replies guys.
How far could you go?

Kind of put off tubes though after I've heard stories of amps using tubes that have set alight for guitars and need tonnes of work to keep them working good.
Looks attractive though.

Just not sure how much more info I could grab with my ears but I'm liking the idea of that wide soundstage.
Totally false, here's what I'm using currently

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #7 of 36
Thanks for replies guys.
How far could you go?

Looks attractive though.

I love the HD 700's the treble spike at 6k is not a problem for me only a couple of songs do I hear it and it's not that bad to me. Soundstage is good with the 700's but the 800's are the king of soundstage . You have a bit more bass from the 700's. Tube amps don't need tons (tonnes) of work but can be a bit of work. There are many forums here that can point you in the right direction and then you fine tune it. You won't be flying blind.

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #8 of 36
Thanks for replies guys.
How far could you go?

Looks attractive though.

If you don't go for the hd800, I would highly recommend the 600 or 650. Much better headphones than the 700.

Streaming Spotify from a portable setup will not do an 800 any favors.

Oct 18, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #9 of 36
If you don't go for the hd800, I would highly recommend the 600 or 650. Much better headphones than the 700.

Streaming Spotify from a portable setup will not do an 800 any favors.
If you want a small soundstage I agree.

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #10 of 36
Looking at their range, I could go fully solid state with something like the Asgard 2 or go tube as mentioned with the Valhala 2.
I do like their style.

Would I need a DAC? Couldn't find the product mentioned by them above.

I.e would a DAC run off USB and remove the need for a dedicated soundcard with say optical out?
Or would I need a great sound card too? Or is that the entire point of having a dac?

For portable use, I would like some kind of setup too, but we're only talking around the house, so would a good Fiio do that or not? Happy bed listening, unless I drag the desktop amp and dac to my phone if the dac can handle digital direct from my S5/Maybe LG 20 soon if its sound proves massively better.

My music genre range is rather vast, and I try to grab FLAC where I can, but a lot of my listening is via 320kpbs OGG (Spotify)

Oct 19, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #12 of 36
Here's my advice:

Ask yourself what are you looking for?
(Mainly in terms of sound signature, soundstage size and comfort)

Then tell us and we will point you in the right direction.

Technically better doesn't mean more enjoyable.

HD800 can sound awful with the wrong recordings and/or if you don't like its signature.
Same would apply to HD700 and most other quality headphones.

Tons of people I know would prefer the VMODA M100 over HD800, so find out what you are looking for, then pick the headphone.
"better" is a tricky word when it comes to a subject matter like this is.

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #13 of 36
I think I'm just after a more refined and detailed set to last me many years.
I always feel with a headphone I have that I'm missing something and I'd prefer to know I'm hearing everything possible if that makes sense.

The M100s are very nice and they are enjoyable, but a larger soundstage would be nice.
My dad recently got the 598SE's and they are very detailed though the bass is less, I didn't find them lacking.
In terms of detail, not sure I could hear more with my short listen though.
So maybe the M100s are more transparent than them? I know the mids were a lot more upfront on the 598s though.

Listening to the new Marillion album at the minute and I think it could do with a much wider set sound wise.
My musical taste is very broad.

If you have ever heard for example Weather With You by Crowded House, in the middle I love how the music compresses in and then goes super wide before the guitars kick up again.
If the HD800s could really bring that kind of moment to life more, I'd love them

I may have to go to Richer Sounds or similar but I don't want to be forced to buy. I'd go second hand, as a lot of people are moving from the 800s to the S's but maybe the extra bass detail (albeit with harmonic distortion) may be worth it?
Not sure.

I think I want detail and soundstage/presence over bass.
The M100s I bought mainly for their highly regarded SQ

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #14 of 36
The difference in soundstage between a well driven 6x0 and 700 is rather small and more than made up for IMO.
We'll just have to disagree on this one everyone hears things differently no big deal.

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #15 of 36
I think I'm just after a more refined and detailed set to last me many years.
I always feel with a headphone I have that I'm missing something and I'd prefer to know I'm hearing everything possible if that makes sense.

The M100s are very nice and they are enjoyable, but a larger soundstage would be nice.
My dad recently got the 598SE's and they are very detailed though the bass is less, I didn't find them lacking.
In terms of detail, not sure I could hear more with my short listen though.
So maybe the M100s are more transparent than them? I know the mids were a lot more upfront on the 598s though.

Listening to the new Marillion album at the minute and I think it could do with a much wider set sound wise.
My musical taste is very broad.

If you have ever heard for example Weather With You by Crowded House, in the middle I love how the music compresses in and then goes super wide before the guitars kick up again.
If the HD800s could really bring that kind of moment to life more, I'd love them

I may have to go to Richer Sounds or similar but I don't want to be forced to buy. I'd go second hand, as a lot of people are moving from the 800s to the S's but maybe the extra bass detail (albeit with harmonic distortion) may be worth it?
Not sure.

I think I want detail and soundstage/presence over bass.
The M100s I bought mainly for their highly regarded SQ
Yes the 800's either one will give what you are looking for but will need a good amp to drive them. For the money your looking at I would though the Ether Flows in there also. I will be upgrading my Ether C's to Ether Flows when I can it is a long wait list so it will probably next year but they are very good. You are going down the rabbit hole my friend and it is very deep indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back