HD 800 MODEL NUMBER/IMPRESSIONS TRACKER
Jul 10, 2009 at 8:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Snacks

500+ Head-Fier
Who has what model number and what is your impression of the sound:

I'll kick it off:

Model #00688

It's sounds very neutral and revealing. No sibilance. Deep, extending bass. It seems very sensitive to amplification. I listen at the 9' to maximum 10'.

Source: 20' MAC (variable bit rates)
DAC: LE Lavry DA10
Amp: Luxman P-1
Cables: Luxman

I'll add more as they get more time....

Add your impression, please.

Other headphones heard/owned:

STAX
O2/4070 (KGSS)

HE Audio
1.2b

Sennheiser
HD 650
HD 600 (heard, brief)
HD-25

Sony
R10 (heard briefly, balanced)

Beyer
DT 770; DB reg and deep (open)

Nixon

JVC
DX1000
RX700

IEMs
X10

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, Snacks. You mean serial number, right?

Makes me feel like I'm hearing all my favorite tracks for the first time.

Yes, that's what I mean; serial number. I'm trying to capture what everyone hears with their HD 800, and on what type of system.

Jul 11, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 12
#00706 balanced with CEC HD53N

sounds great!
atsmile.gif

Jul 11, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snacks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, that's what I mean; serial number. I'm trying to capture what everyone hears with their HD 800, and on what type of system.

Forgot to add my system lineup:

WAV files
computer as source
optical
m902
HD800 (00318)

or

WAV files
computer as source
USB
HeadRoom Desktop Ultra
HD800 (00318)

Jul 11, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forgot to add my system lineup:

WAV files
computer as source
optical
m902
HD800 (00318)

Same set-up as me - except my m902 is the m902B and the computer source is Samsung X360 / Vista / Sequoia 10.
wink_face.gif

Jul 11, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #8 of 12
Serial #: 676 (Balanced stock cable)

Sources:

Lyra Titan >> VPI TNT HR-X >> Manley Steelhead
Apple Lossless >> Mac Pro >> Squeezebox Duet >> Weiss DAC2
Emm Labs CDSD >> DCC2
Technics RS-1500 >> Bottlehead Tape Head Repro

Amp:

Toole Audio Balanced M^3

No real complaints with sibilance but they do shine a spotlight on hot recordings so I could see why it would bother some. Bass texture and tone is good and they are probably close to approximating the bass on the recording but they can sound shy when compared to other phones that tend to incorporate a mid bass hump to impersonate real world bass. Some recordings I do feel a bit light with the 800s based on my repeated listens with speakers and other headphones.

They are probably the most comfortable headphone in the collection so they have been getting a fair amount of head time. I can't say they are my favorites but I prefer them to any other currently available dynamic.

Jul 11, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #9 of 12
Serial 00459
Wav files ripped from cd on ipod classic -> Wadia 170I transport - > DAC1 USB -> Headamp GS-1 via BJC -> HD800

No sibilance heard and playback reproduces a faithful and transparent view into the recording as suggested in prior threads. Truly amazing transient headphone with lush mids, the bass is there if it is there on the recording with no unrealistic bump in volume of it like the hd650. As far as imaging goes, go ahead and close your eyes and you are in the recording studio or the venue in which the music was recorded...hell, I can even hear the acoustics of the venue....this is fantastic but for some the truth of the recording quality may be a bit overwhelming and hard to deal with. What one hears in the recording or the audio chain WILL come through on these headphones and you will see the flaws in any minute segment of the chain. MY audio chain could be improved with better ICs and I could add a bit of warmth, I think with different ICs, amp(maybe tubes), or a dac but I feel that the representation of the audio that I am hearing suits my tastes well. If you like artificial colorings and flavorings stay far away from this headphone folks, if you don't this is a wonder to behold and, as I stated before, prepare to be in awe each time you listen to the same song. Go ahead and try other phones, I have, and they just aren't the same after experiencing the HD800s. The soundstage on these place one in a front row seat but I tend to think I'm a bit surrounded and this is to say if I'm in the front(row e) the I'm getting a 180 feel and a bit more than 180....I'm able to pick out instruments and voices from the air...the singer is in the front, percussion is the widest sounds...front, above and side to side. The cymbals and bass drum for me are faithful and true if one factors in the producer's artificial additives during mixing but if you listen to a live recording they are true. Bassheads should stay with the hd650s or other bass heavy phones would compliment(I do not find a need for this). Also, I must add that these phones reveal the most detail in a recording that I've ever heard effortlessly without compromising or being harsh or bass bumping. Take Porcupine Tree's Fear of a blank planet's album on the first track FOABP...the keyboard has never sounded so clear at such low volumes without causing the rest of the song to be bumped in volume. In time, others will realize what this headphone brings to this community-they just cannot digest all that this headphone does right,yet...they are in denial of it's greatness. I'm not a fanboy, just a realist and these headphones are crafted using the utmost care to detail and quality from the plug to the diaghrams from fit to finish. They do tend to grow on you. As time passes, I grow more enamored and appreciative of their abilities.

Other headphones heard:

Grado: GS1000, RS-1 (w/SAA Equinox), ATH W5000, AKG k701, HD650(w/SAA Equinox), HD600(w/SAA Equinox), Ety ER4S, AKG k501, Many others....

Jul 23, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #10 of 12
S/N 326

I'm currently running: PC >> Keces 151 >> Heed Canamp >> HD800

I'll move to: PC >> Lavry DA10 >> SPL Auditor >> HD800 as soon as i get all the parts.

At zero hours burn-in, it already sounds like a K701 with all the bad bits fixed. No siblance at all, slightly bigger soundstage, great attack/decay and deep adequate bass.

I can't wait for the new amp and source to get here.

Jul 23, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #12 of 12
No. 685 - Best headphone I've ever heard. Does more right than any other headphone including the R10 (which I've heard balanced on two high-end systems) and the HE90. Needs proper synergy with amp and source to really shine, especially the amp. Must be balanced for best results. A dynamic, smooth, and neutral reference headphone. Bass extends deep, is very clean, has loads of detail and has plenty of impact with the right amp. Midrange tonality is spot on. Treble is very extended and has zero sibilance with the right equipment. I give it a 9/10 on the perfect headphone scale. The only area for improvement is to define the soundstage more. It is too tall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back