HD 650 vs SRH940? I searched to no avail...
Sep 23, 2011 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

disastermouse

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone here posted up a comparison?  HD 650s are the best headphones I've heard thus far, but I'm getting intrigued by everything I'm hearing about the SRH940s.

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #2 of 9
Heya,

They're polar opposites of each other.

HD650 - Dark, Sleepy, Smooth, Bassy
SRH940 - Bright, Massive Mids, Detailed, Clear, Bass shy

I have both. I would suggest the SRH940 to someone who wants a headphone for acoustic and female vocals pretty much exclusively as that's where I found them to shine the most. If you want a headphone for all genres, the SRH940 is likely not it, I didn't think it had enough low end to support electronic and some various musics that require a lot of bass reverb. It's a detail monster with a lot of mids and pretty bright, but not sibilant. Again, great for acoustic and female vocals and some jazz. Not the best for rock and electronic and other stuff. The HD650 on the other hand is good for most everything, it's a very relaxed smooth headphone to listen to, which some people love and some people do not like. It's pretty bassy and it takes a lot of amplification to wake it up, but once you get there, it's a great headphone, it will work well with everything. But again, it's not a detail monster nor something I would call overly clear and detailed for analytical listening, it's a musical headphone, fun, very smooth. Between the two, I would probably suggest the HD650 to someone who didn't know what they really wanted because it's more likely to cover more genre ground than the SRH940. If you wanted listen to acoustic and female vocals however, I'd put the SRH940 over the HD650 with authority. So again, they're not really comparable. That's why you didn't find anything on search.

Very best,

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
Heya,

They're polar opposites of each other.

HD650 - Dark, Sleepy, Smooth, Bassy
SRH940 - Bright, Massive Mids, Detailed, Clear, Bass shy

Very best,

So....maybe a good alternative to try then?  The only other interesting headphone I own is the SR80i.  They are fatiguing.

I understood that the SRH are 'bass shy', but the HD650s don't seem like Bass Monsters either, not that it matters with what I listen to - except for some of the techno and Das Racist.  It seems that a lot of electronic music and almost all hip-hop is poorly produced....so...dunno if the recordings are the problem there.

Sep 23, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 9
940 is 290 more than the 650, So it must be better. Higher numbers are always better.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Sep 23, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #5 of 9
You've found no comparison because thee two are worlds apart.

I don't know what your tastes are but I assume detail is a universial desire amongst audiophile so I would say go with the SRH-940.

Since you've become disinterested in both, I would suggest the Grado S425i. The detail is perhaps not as good as the SRH-940 but it's definitely a balance between the bassiness of HD-650s an the SRH-940s. They are fun to listen to as well though they're not my cup of tea as the soundstage is not big enough for me.

Hope you found this helpful.

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
Has anyone here posted up a comparison?  HD 650s are the best headphones I've heard thus far, but I'm getting intrigued by everything I'm hearing about the SRH940s.

Heya,

Well do you have a specific application / use in mind, or is this strictly for pleasure listening and having something very different from the Sennheiser?

Other options I would suggest you explore:

Denon D2000
Beyer DT880
Fischer Audio FA-002
AKG K702

Very best,

Sep 23, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #7 of 9
If you want something non-fatiguing, relaxing go to the sennheiser road. Now it could be "so relaxing", that some would call it "sleepy".
You might find the srh940 a  bit fatiguing, because of the brightness.

Sep 23, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 9
Heya,

Well do you have a specific application / use in mind, or is this strictly for pleasure listening and having something very different from the Sennheiser?

Other options I would suggest you explore:

Denon D2000
Beyer DT880
Fischer Audio FA-002
AKG K702

Very best,

I want something a bit spicier, closed, and good for monitoring Ableton.

Sep 24, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #9 of 9
Spicier and good for monitoring purposes you say?  Here are a few more suggestions:

AKG K271MKII

Beyerdynamic DT150, DT250, DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

Shure SRH840

Sony MDR-V900HD, 7509HD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back