HD 650 + Vali + Xonar Essense STX
Nov 10, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #16 of 23
  Vali IMO is a poor match for the HD-650. To me it sounded awful. It had a very muffled, closed in and congested sound WITH THE HD-650. Yet you connect the Q701 and it's perfect!
My HD-650 never sounds this way unless it's attached to an amp it hates (like the Asgard1). It sounds best on an O2, Micro Amp, Ifi iCAN and even the lowly Bravo V2!

When switching DACs with the Vali when using the the HD-650 I couldn't hear much difference. Why? The Vali was crapping up the sound of everything and making the HD-650 something it's not.
I got the exact same results with my DJ100.

For the HD-650 ONLY, the Bravo V2 sounds more neutral and is a better match. That however is pretty bad for the Q701 and isn't a good "all-rounder" (Vali isn't either).

Vali is great for the Q701, but not so much anything else i've tried. Wonder why?

I bet the Valhalla or Lyr is much better and better for a wider range of headphones.

Vali is a nice toy though, but the Bravo V2 sounded more neutral with the HD-650.

I'd skip both and get a Magni or O2. The Magni might be warmer now if any changes were made. Mine was colder than even the O2.

Fair enough,

Though I'm using a HD 600 [not the 650] and I find the sound to be just fine. Compared to the SE Out of my NFB10ES2, I prefer the extra warmth of the Vali with my HD 600 

and I'd like to think my NFB10ES2 is a step above the O2 [which it is] 

But again I'm only using the HD 600 [not the 650] I'd hope that the two are simmilar but I could be very wrong 

Nov 10, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #17 of 23
  Wow, so no you only demo'd the Vali

see whats nice about teh Vali is it scales with dacs, so if your feeding it garbage it sounds bad [very bad] feed it something cleaner and it sounds good. VERY good, and for $130 I've yet to find any thing that sounds as good as it does! I sound better to my ears than my old Matrix M Stage SOLID state, granted it rings but it's not an ugly noise 

So I appreciate your input, but "I demo'd it once" is not owning it. I've owned it twice now and when I say Own I mean to say I purchased it, unpacked it and hooked it up to my rig. So chances are when ever you heard it, it was being fed by something pretty crappy. 

But to each his\her own right! I happen to the Vali is a great sounding amp, and It's a shame your experince with it wasn't as good. 

I own the valhalla 2, and it smokes the vali by far. Having heard the lyr it is also much better than the vali, but I prefer the valhalla 2 overall. Notice how when I said that the vali sounds bad "in comparison to other tube amps" - I suppose if the Vali is the only tube amp you have you might think its good, but the valhalla 2 has much cleaner, linear sound and a larger soundstage while still being euphonic, different from the coldness, clinical sound of some solid states but not having that disgustingly warm, gooey, distorted tube sound that I have come to associate with traditional triode otl amps. BTW my "demo" was going over to a friend's house to compare my valhalla 2 with his new toy the vali and his trusty ol' woo wa7 for a six hour listening session so I was able to give the vali more than just a 'quick listen' and I stand by my opinion of the vali. 

The OP never mentions what kind of budget he's on, which is why I mentioned these other amps. Though if he wants tube sound for under $150, the vali may be the only game in town.

Nov 10, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #18 of 23
  I own the valhalla 2, and it smokes the vali by far. Having heard the lyr it is also much better than the vali, but I prefer the valhalla 2 overall. Notice how when I said that the vali sounds bad "in comparison to other tube amps" - I suppose if the Vali is the only tube amp you have you might think its good, but the valhalla 2 has much cleaner, linear sound and a larger soundstage while still being euphonic, different from the coldness, clinical sound of some solid states but not having that disgustingly warm, gooey, distorted tube sound that I have come to associate with traditional triode otl amps. BTW my "demo" was going over to a friend's house to compare my valhalla 2 with his new toy the vali and his trusty ol' woo wa7 for a six hour listening session so I was able to give the vali more than just a 'quick listen' and I stand by my opinion of the vali. 

The OP never mentions what kind of budget he's on, which is why I mentioned these other amps. Though if he wants tube sound for under $150, the vali may be the only game in town.

I have heard many other tube amps in the price range, such as the Indeed G3, the Bravo V2 an custom built Millet Hybrid Tube as well, of the 4 Hybrid Tube amps I've tried, in addition to the many other solid state amps within that price range that Ive tried, such as the Matrix M Stage, the JDS Labs C5 the Fiio E11, I found the Vali to be the best sounding of them

I won't deny that there are other higher priced options out there, and OP did not specify a price range. Which is very true.

Though again, you just heard the amp once, I understand you had a "6 hour" listening session but to get a true feel for any thing in this hobby, I think at least 16 hours is required, in addition to a few nights of sleep. The term "sleep on it" has really been one of my favorites to stand by. I've had gear that I HATED upon first listening, Because it was different from what I was used to, though upon going to bed and awaking the next day I noticed that my opinion of that gear changed. 

Did you have time to try the Vali with different sources, different headphones, different genres? Did you really have sufficent time in one 6 hour session to have a definitive opionion... I don't think you did. 

So a single demo at a buddies house, does not suffice for owner ship. Your opinion, is simply an impression. Your more than happy to stand by it, but for the Money. For the Price of $150, you will be very hard pressed to find a better sounding tube Amp, and owned about three of them within the sub $200 price range, I even Rolled tubes into my Indeed G3 and my Millet, rom RCA Clear Tops to NOS Mullards I tried a LOT of tubes. An for everything I heard, I still feel the Vali is the cleanest sounding of them. 

I won't say that higher priced amps are not better, as I have not heard them. But for the Money the Vali is a KILLER bargin. 

AN with regards to noise, the New Vali models are much quieter than the initial ones. I've owned two of them now with serial numbers,  so I think my opinion is valid on the matter. 

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #19 of 23
Hey guys thanks for all the reply. I'm just going to stick with STX for now and will save money for Valhilla or something. I was wondering if there's a difference between connecting the headphones directly into the soundcard vs using the adapter that came with it.

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #20 of 23
  Hey guys thanks for all the reply. I'm just going to stick with STX for now and will save money for Valhilla or something. I was wondering if there's a difference between connecting the headphones directly into the soundcard vs using the adapter that came with it.

I believe the Sennheiser HD600/HD650 come standard with the 6.35mm (1/4") plug, which you would plug straight into the STX's 1/4" jack.

Dec 24, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #22 of 23
Or better yet wait for the next drop on Bottlehead crack w/ speedball

May 27, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #23 of 23
Anyone else paired HD650's with Vali? I have Vali and looking to buy hd600/650. hard to choose....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back