HD-650... the perfect amp?
Sep 15, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #31 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bada is allready standard better then the darkvoice 332. Pataburd prefers the ph 12 over the darkvoice 337, wich is even a better amp then the 332!

He is getting his bada ph-12 modded, taking it to another level where the darkvoices can't touch it!

That’s sound unheard and an assumption, until Pataburd gets his modded amp back and listens to it!
wink_face.gif

Sep 15, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #32 of 96
I strongly recommned that if you are looking for the best sound out of your HD650, just go balanced...

IMO mainly all balanced amps, I have heard, from different manufacturers, and even humble ones, have outperformed many SE amps a lot more expensive paired with the HD650. Of course that is valid in the case of the HD650, that will benefit greatly from the balanced topology, for other headphones the mileage may vary...

Sep 15, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #33 of 96
Quote:

The bada is allready standard better then the darkvoice 332. Pataburd prefers the ph 12 over the darkvoice 337, wich is even a better amp then the 332!

He is getting his bada ph-12 modded, taking it to another level where the darkvoices can't touch it!

Hehe. Ok. That reminded me of when I was young, and we argued about whose dad was stronger than the other.

Look, this is all subjective, no matter how you put it. I do not have Pataburd's ears, or preferences. The ph12 might blow the Darkvoice's out of the water. I do not know. What I wrote, is only my personal opinion anyway. Take it as you want.
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:12 PM Post #35 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by glitch39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
READ, READ, READ..... Pataburd's phones are AKG's..... not a good match with the DV. he had mentioned several times, however, that his senns match the DV

Precisely... "my dear Watson."

There are few amps that sound better with Senns than the DV332 / DV337.

But... "who knows" about his "new FPH-12...

Sep 15, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #36 of 96
X2 on balancing the HD650s if you can afford it. It's so good balanced that my upgraditis (at least on SQ grounds) has gone into remission. The cost of entry into balanced amps is between 750.00 - 1250.00 range depending on the company and if you're buying new or used.

Lots of great choices in this thread, and I'll add one more: the Mapletree amps are also excellent with the Senns, and might be another SE tube option.

o

Sep 15, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #39 of 96
Quote:

facepalm.jpg

Sigh...

o

Sep 15, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #40 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by orkney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2 on balancing the HD650s if you can afford it. It's so good balanced that my upgraditis (at least on SQ grounds) has gone into remission. The cost of entry into balanced amps is between 750.00 - 1250.00 range depending on the company and if you're buying new or used.

Where are these decent balanced entry amps in that price range?

I also dunno what your source might be, but I didn't hear mention of having to have a balanced source and balanced cabling. I can't imagine a balanced rig easily coming in under $1000 total even if built via DIY. I'm building a balanced millett maxed with OPUS DAC currently for my HD650 because of no decent enough cheap balanced tube amp options at the time of planning.

Cheapest decent balanced source I've seen is at least $250 and cheapest HD650 balanced cable even DIY is going to be $20 plus XLR interconnects. Balanced costs more in every area of the chain almost. Probably want to stick to SE at the moment. I won't throw in any input on whats the best options, I haven't heard but four or five amps and thats not nearly enough to answer the question IMO.

Sep 15, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #41 of 96
I think he is referring to the HeadRoom Balanced Desktop.
The new Little Dot MKVI is also a promising amp according to the few that have taken delivery in the last few weeks. I believe it is 720$ shipped.

The Benchmark DAC1 and Apogee DAC also permits using the HD650 in balanced mode, the latter can be had for quite reasonable prices.

That said, I agree that balanced is neither the cheapest nor the only route to get great results from the HD650.I'm sure a great SE amp can just as easily give great results, as can be seen from the recommendations in this thread alone.

Sep 15, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #42 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he is referring to the HeadRoom Balanced Desktop. The new Little Dot MKVI is also a promising amp according to the few that have taken delivery in the last few weeks. I believe it is 720$ shipped.

The Benchmark DAC1 and Apogee DAC also permits using the HD650 in balanced mode, the latter can be had for quite reasonable prices.

That said, I agree that balanced is neither the cheapest nor the only route to get great results from the HD650.I'm sure a great SE amp can just as easily give great results, as can be seen from the recommendations in this thread alone.

Thanks, musicmind -- those are indeed some of the amps I was thinking of. The OP is looking for "the perfect amp" for the HD650 and the "best possible sound" from these phones. I think that balanced rigs are strong contenders. As many have noted in this thread, there is a good selection of excellent SE amps that also have reportedly great synergy with the HD650s. Since price does not seem to be a major consideration, there's all kinds of latitude here.

o

Sep 15, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #43 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he is referring to the HeadRoom Balanced Desktop.
The new Little Dot MKVI is also a promising amp according to the few that have taken delivery in the last few weeks. I believe it is 720$ shipped.

Problem is still the source and cables needed. The little dot is impressive in spec, but I would want to hear it after it comes out before recommending it as the best. I really want to know what the source is for these amps as it seems just, if not more, important. No amp is going to make up for a poor source.

The headroom balanced without DAC is just under $1100 and hes going to want the DAC for a source if he doesn't have a balanced one yet pushing it up to $1500. The DAC1 is also barely under $1000 and the Apogee isn't much better at $750. You can get something like an Parasound DAC-1500 for $300 if you get lucky enough to find it on eBay or build a OPUS for $300 with some of the more simple DIY skill. Build a buffalo for extra points. Before anyone mentions it, the new DACmagic could also be crap in quality, best to also wait until thats out to hear it.

EDIT: Source and price might be a consideration. Did you ask? http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/dac...3/#post4737245 If it wasn't I'm surprised more people aren't recommending the SinglePower Supra XLR (despite Mikhail's problems) or the TTVJ 607A millett since I also have a hard time believing all the users here are recommending equipment they've even heard.

Sep 15, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #44 of 96
At the NYC Spring 2008 Meet I heard balanced 650s through both a RSA Apache and SP Supra Balanced. These 2 amps brought the 650s to another level for me. I now listen through a B-52 and won't look back.

Sep 16, 2008 at 12:14 PM Post #45 of 96
Hi, i just ordered myself a dv 337. Someone in another forum (who owns both dv 332 and 337) told me the 337 sounds better and is a worthwhile upgrade, so i went straight for it. I hope i didnt make the wrong choice?

Someone please offer advice on whether i should change my order to the 332 so i can save some spare cash before the retailer orders it from china
biggrin.gif

I got the dv 337 for about USD110 more than what i could get the 332s for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back