HD-650... the perfect amp?
Nov 17, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #91 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL! Oh god that was funny.

Ok, let me try to compare.

Balanced HD650 : Ferrari
HD650 with Equinox : Honda Civic with a spoiler

I'll have to road-test a Honda Civic, it sounds like quite a beast! Anyway, the Equinox can be both balanced and SE, like any cable (DIY permitting...), so at least something there doesn't make much sense.

Nov 17, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #92 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by rogerlike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, the Equinox can be both balanced and SE, like any cable (DIY permitting...), so at least something there doesn't make much sense.

I think he means a balanced amp and DAC topology versus just a different headphone cable.

Nov 17, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #93 of 96
Is it necessary to have a balanced source if using a balanced-headphone amp, to achieve meaningful improvement, or can an unbalanced source be used to good effect too? I guess I'm specifically asking about the HD650.

I don't know anything about it really but, I'm guessing a reason why the HD650 might benefit so much from a balanced amp is the cans might dump noisy currents on to the signal ground, and a balanced amp with separate ground channel buffers helps that a lot (with more isolation than just a single-ended single ground channel)?

I find it curious that the HD650 is mentioned as particularly benefiting from balanced driving. I'm a bit of a newbie though, so it might be the same for a lot of cans
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #94 of 96
Quote:

Is it necessary to have a balanced source if using a balanced-headphone amp, to achieve meaningful improvement, or can an unbalanced source be used to good effect too? I guess I'm specifically asking about the HD650.

I don't know anything about it really but, I'm guessing a reason why the HD650 might benefit so much from a balanced amp is the cans might dump noisy currents on to the signal ground, and a balanced amp with separate ground channel buffers helps that a lot (with more isolation than just a single-ended single ground channel)?

I find it curious that the HD650 is mentioned as particularly benefiting from balanced driving. I'm a bit of a newbie though, so it might be the same for a lot of cans
smily_headphones1.gif

IME, with the Headroom Balanced w/DAC, a balanced source is superior. My 840c has balanced and unbalanced outputs, and taking the output voltage into account, I prefer the balanced drive. I've also tried an iPod as source with balanced 650s, and though it sounds very good, it's no contest between this and the internal DAC, as you might expect. I'm not the person to weigh in on the technical reasons for this, but there's info here and elsewhere on the whys and hows of balanced H drive. Certainly the fabled "black background" is a factor, as is the greater dynamic swing and bass control where the 650 is concerned.

Having said that, and despite the clear superiority of balanced 650s in my rig and to my ears, listening to an Earmax Pro with some high-end tubes over the past few days has made me realize that the musical differences between SE and balanced are less clear-cut. My balanced rig is FAR more transparent, dynamic, soundstagey (sic) and wideband than the EMP, but that little amp plays some astonishing music, and I wouldn't want to be without either now that I've heard both. So it's still worth an audition if at all possible before taking the plunge.

best,

o

Nov 17, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #95 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he means a balanced amp and DAC topology versus just a different headphone cable.

Exactly, nothing against SAA Equinox cable, I used to have it, it's very nice. Just the bang/buck and in general "value" comparison between expensive cable upgrade and balanced vs unbalanced.

Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, you need a balanced source to use with a balanced amp; otherwise some sort of unbalanced to balanced conversion must occur, likely with a transformer or buffer/driver (not as nice).

There are lots of threads about the benefits of balanced over unbalanced so I won't get into it.

Nov 18, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #96 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, you need a balanced source to use with a balanced amp; otherwise some sort of unbalanced to balanced conversion must occur, likely with a transformer or buffer/driver (not as nice).

I'll have to wait a while then before I have any $$$ to upgrade my source ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back