HD-650... the perfect amp?
Sep 12, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #16 of 96
The darkvoice amp look nice but I have some questions. For the ams do you need to bias them when changing the tubes? My only experience with tube amps is for guitar amps.

Where can I find a comparision of the difference between the darkvoice amps? there is no info about them on the website?

Sep 13, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #17 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Devon8822 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The darkvoice amp look nice but I have some questions. For the ams do you need to bias them when changing the tubes? My only experience with tube amps is for guitar amps.

Where can I find a comparision of
the difference between the darkvoice amps? there is no info about them on the website?

There's no need to bias tubes as far as I am aware, I have never done this myself. The best info about these amps is right here in head-fi. There are some excellent reviews floating around.

Sep 13, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #18 of 96
I have Sennheiser HD650s and (4) amps: SinglePower MPX3, DarkVoice 337, Cayin HA-1A, and a Headroom Cosmic.

The first three are tube amps, and the Cosmic is SS.

The Cosmic I've had for quite a while, but seldom use currently.

I route the three amps through a switcher.

For music: I prefer the MPX3 (and the HA-1A on occasion)
The MPX3 has a very lovely sound.

For movies, and X360, I prefer the DV 337.
Plenty of power and I really like being able to adjust the volume for each channel independently.

Select your tubes carefully and you won't be disappointed with the SinglePower MPX3 or DV 337.

I also have a wireless Sennheiser that I use for television viewing and the X360. Also routed through the matrix switcher.

Sep 13, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #19 of 96
The "best" I have is a balanced B22. Pretty $pendy getting there considering the amp, the balanced cable and the balanced source. When you get to the bleeding hi end - at least where I start to bleed - you are in balanced solid state territory.

Tube amps have a charm, and they all have personalities. The personality of a tube amp is influenced much more by the tube compliment & the coupling capacitors than the brand. Personality is a preference thing, although there are definitely tube types and capacitors that are objectively better than others.

If you want to go tube, I'd go chinese (or better yet DIY) and use some of the money saved for tubes to roll and an upgrade on coupling caps before I'd spend money for an uber expensive domestic tube amp. I hear a difference between all the tube amps, but my preference doesn't have much agreement with the price.

Sep 13, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #21 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by metalman4u2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to try a mosfet/tube hybrid with the HD650, and I've considered purchasing the Bada PH-12 more than once.

But I seem to remember having read that it's not too difficult to blow the mosfet.

The bada is really nice, especially modded. They fixed the problem. Anyway, if you wait half a day or a day between switching tubes, There's no harm at all. They put 2 diodes at the mosfets, to prevent them from blowing. I still advice to be carefull, and switch tubes within couple of hours.

Sep 13, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #22 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bada is really nice, especially modded. They fixed the problem. Anyway, if you wait half a day or a day between switching tubes, There's no harm at all. They put 2 diodes at the mosfets, to prevent them from blowing. I still advice to be carefull, and switch tubes within couple of hours.

Interesting, thank you sir!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #23 of 96
im driving my HD 580's with a PIMETA running OPA627/OPA637's and it sounds quite amazing. im sure it would sound good on 650's aswell

Sep 14, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #24 of 96
I think the perfect amp will have lots of tube rolling choices. Woo6 or Zana or Raptor, I have been experimenting with tubes and they can make a world of difference. I haven't researched rolling options on all amps but it should be a consideration.

Sep 14, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #25 of 96
Does anyone have some solid state head amp suggestions?

I am thinking of Meier Corda Opera Analogue ($750) or the Talisman T-31H.

Comments?

I don't want to roll tubes since I already have a valve tube cd player.

Sep 14, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #27 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by firefly0071 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have some solid state head amp suggestions?

I am thinking of Meier Corda Opera Analogue ($750) or the Talisman T-31H.

Comments?

I don't want to roll tubes since I already have a valve tube cd player.

As I stated earlier a Lehman Black Cube Headphone Amp has excellent synergy with the HD650's, small form factor and solid state makes this the amp for you.

Sep 14, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #28 of 96
Apologies for not reading the thread in detail.

The Graham Slee is not sold in Oz but can be imported and more importantly tax free.

Quite competitive compared to Meier Corda Opera Analogue ($750) or the Talisman T-31H.

The Lehman Black cube is similar in price.

Good advice - The Graham Slee make come out hte best because of the recommendations and importing into Oz is cheaper than buying the others in Oz.

I live in Oz.

Sep 14, 2008 at 10:02 AM Post #29 of 96
I own both the DV332 and Zana Deux. While the DV332 is good, the ZD brings the HD650's to another level. Makes them faster, better control, and tightens up the bass which removes the boomyness/veil. Still a darker can than many though.
For the money, the DV332 is really good imo, especially with the right tube combination, and if I were to buy again, I would not bother getting something in between the amps mentioned. I think the DV332 is that good.

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #30 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own both the DV332 and Zana Deux. While the DV332 is good, the ZD brings the HD650's to another level. Makes them faster, better control, and tightens up the bass which removes the boomyness/veil. Still a darker can than many though.
For the money, the DV332 is really good imo, especially with the right tube combination, and if I were to buy again, I would not bother getting something in between the amps mentioned. I think the DV332 is that good.

The bada is allready standard better then the darkvoice 332. Pataburd prefers the ph 12 over the darkvoice 337, wich is even a better amp then the 332!

He is getting his bada ph-12 modded, taking it to another level where the darkvoices can't touch it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back