HD 650 Amp
Mar 19, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordonshowers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard that an externally powered USB DAC would eliminate noise, but a DAC powered through the USB would not. My findings fully support this idea.

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of thing I would want to know before going forward with a purchase decision.

MF V-DAC looks nice, I guess I'd need an amp to go with it.

Mar 24, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by fossuser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got the MF V-DAC and realized that it splits the audio into R/L. So I need to buy a splitter for the 650s? or a new cable?

The V-DAC is a digital-to-analog converter, not an amplifier. The left and right RCAs connect to an amp that in turn connects to the 650s.

You need an amp to go with the V-DAC. It is useless without one.

Mar 27, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordonshowers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't necessarily found this statement to be true.

Specifically, my Total Bithead connected via USB sends through all background noise in full, whereas my MF V-DAC eleiminates the background noise completely.

I heard that an externally powered USB DAC would eliminate noise, but a DAC powered through the USB would not. My findings fully support this idea.

I don't experience this with the Total BitHead using my Macbook Pro (2009) connected to the USB port.

Mar 28, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #24 of 29
Just wanted to report back, thanks again to everyone who helped.

The MF-VDAC has been working great, the static/computer noise problems are gone. My little amp still works fine and I don't think an upgrade is necessary. If you're having similar problems to what I was having this DAC solves them.

Mar 28, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by fossuser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read that solid state has gotten to the point where the difference is relatively negligible.

Where did you read that? Solid state can many differences, different op-amps used, differences in the board layout, quality of the power supply... Only you can decide if the difference is negligible, but Headroom, many on this board and skeptics like Dan from Dan's Data (see this article, compares the Bithead with the Micro Stack) think the differences are substantial.

Mar 28, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #29 of 29
I meant difference when compared to a tube alternative, not when compared to nothing. I said before that I thought the DAC made a big difference over my previous output from the computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back