HD 600 vs HD 650
Jan 22, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #424 of 441
My HD 650 has drivers with middle part recessed as seen in the pic. Is this normal? Both drivers are the same for me. Does this affect the sound in any way?
Screenshot_20200123-081045_Gallery.jpg

Jan 23, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #425 of 441
Just got HD650, and from my comparison testing thus far, it sounds fairly recessed/dark/uneven, with more detail/clarity, smoother treble, and more-yet-muddy/fatiguing/'cheap' bass(very disappointing). Only the treble/vocals sounds better to me than the HD600

I think I'd agree with your description of the HD650, coming from a Hifiman HE-400i pair. The sound signature makes it less engaging for other genres with more bass impact.

Would an O2+ODAC / Magni+Modi make any difference? Or do I need to take a significant leap up, and get an Asgard 2+(something) / Essence One / NFB-12 / etc?

IMO, adding a better amp will add a slightly noticeable, but not significant effect on the overall sound signature. The budget amps will generally make the bass, highs, and instrument/vocal details louder, but will not significantly alter the sound if that's what you were looking for. Adding EQ may help solve it, but EQing the bass of the HD650 will not improve the sub-bass frequencies below 80Hz, so still not good for bass impact type of genres.

I would suppose tube amps will alter the sound better, as I've read on some threads here before, but I have not experienced them myself as I use an E9 or O2 amp to power my HD650s.

Jan 23, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #426 of 441
My HD 650 has drivers with middle part recessed as seen in the pic. Is this normal? Both drivers are the same for me. Does this affect the sound in any way?
Ohhhhh man, that ain't good mate!

Did you buy it like that? Did you poke it?

Run a sine sweep or something, if it sounds off then you can put it down to a damaged dome! It shouldn't be like that from factory mate!

Best of luck!

P.s. Should look something like this!
2697937.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #427 of 441
Do the frequency graph's give out the precise information of the difference between these two can's upper frequency?

I'm wondering what frequency to boost, on the 650's, and by how many decibels to replicate the 600's upper range.

I think it's what to remove from mid bass thru mid mids. I'd say down 2 dnt from 75 Hz to 300, then down 1.5 to 600 Hz. Doesn't sound like much but highs will stand out better. Still it'll never be a 600

Jan 25, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #428 of 441
I think it's what to remove from mid bass thru mid mids. I'd say down 2 dnt from 75 Hz to 300, then down 1.5 to 600 Hz. Doesn't sound like much but highs will stand out better. Still it'll never be a 600
I agree.
I sold my 650's and bought the 600's.:)
Both are a little muddy but at least the 600's aren't as veiled to me.
A little Eq and the 600's rock.

Jan 25, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #429 of 441
I had both the HD600 and HD650 at the same time. Only audible difference is that the HD650 is slightly darker, which made cymbals sound not as realistic in my opinion. I kept the HD600.

Mar 24, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #430 of 441
HD600 is in every way better than HD650 including bass, although both of them are pretty similar. Both have no sub-bass slam, HD650 isn't more extended into sub region, they're the same in that regard. HD600 though has more fast, controlled and dense though leaner (doesn't mean worse) mid-upper-bass which makes listening to HD600 somewhat satisfying. You don't have that basshead smile, but fast response and no mid-bass hump recompensate lack of sub-bass a little bit. HD650 on the other hand has just bloated and slow mid-bass, which make its perceived bass just horrible. "Bass experience" on HD650 is definitely less. Buying HD650 because of bass is really dumb imo.
Next thing is HD650 veil which is real and it's very tiresome. I find all that "euphonic", "smooth", "silky" adjectives just bs. I hate bright headphones, but that HD650 veil isn't cure for sharp highs. That veil is just some gooey awful and weird mold. I don't find it relaxing - it's choking. Switching headphone to HD600 feels like Gandalf freeing you from Saruman, it feels like taking a deep breath of fresh air, or vision recovery.
Last but not least HD600 has superior headband foam thus they're more comfortable.

Still I returned both of them, I will never buy another pair of open audiophile headphones, they're not worth it imo (closed studio headphones ftw). Especially after listening to HD650 I was asking myslef why just not to buy regular speakers? HD600 doesn't feel as much that way though. I think this is quite important to say - when listening to HD600 you don't feel missing much (except sub-bass I guess), listening to HD600 is wholesome experience. HD650 on the contrary feels like some tryhards doomed to fail.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #431 of 441
For me, It's the dip at the 8K range that destroys the HD650.
We all hear differently in different stages of our life.
Perhaps some young punk, with fresh ears, has no problem.

Right now, with the 600's, I often need to cut around the 200 Hz range to reduce muddiness and boost around the 5K range to open them up and remove what must be this "veil" many talk about.
My next HP will be the Hifiman.
I only hope they have the kick for hard rock and punk that the 600's have.
I'll definitely be keeping my 600's

Oct 1, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #432 of 441
Even if you apply EQ there is a hazy film over the 650 vs transparency of the 600, not to mention the 650 is less correct finally.

Oct 1, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #433 of 441
For me, It's the dip at the 8K range that destroys the HD650.
We all hear differently in different stages of our life.
Perhaps some young punk, with fresh ears, has no problem.

Right now, with the 600's, I often need to cut around the 200 Hz range to reduce muddiness and boost around the 5K range to open them up and remove what must be this "veil" many talk about.
My next HP will be the Hifiman.
I only hope they have the kick for hard rock and punk that the 600's have.
I'll definitely be keeping my 600's

You want kick stick to roundform hfm's

Oct 1, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #435 of 441
I think I'd agree with your description of the HD650, coming from a Hifiman HE-400i pair. The sound signature makes it less engaging for other genres with more bass impact.

IMO, adding a better amp will add a slightly noticeable, but not significant effect on the overall sound signature. The budget amps will generally make the bass, highs, and instrument/vocal details louder, but will not significantly alter the sound if that's what you were looking for. Adding EQ may help solve it, but EQing the bass of the HD650 will not improve the sub-bass frequencies below 80Hz, so still not good for bass impact type of genres.

I would suppose tube amps will alter the sound better, as I've read on some threads here before, but I have not experienced them myself as I use an E9 or O2 amp to power my HD650s.

That's true for SS amps generally. But Senns don't sing until you have an OTL tube amp and perhaps some hybrid tubes (don't know, haven't tried).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back