HD 600 (or 650), or RS 220?
Dec 10, 2011 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

GiacomoHoldini

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys.  For my first setup approaching high-end, I've been considering the Senn HD600s (or possibly the 650s), in tandem with a decent amp, most likely the Schiit Valhalla, or possibly the Asgard.  However, since learning about the new RS 220s, I've been wondering if I should hold out and wait for them.  Sources would pretty much be the same either way: CD player or iPod with high quality MP3s or lossless files.  Since I don't have a separate DAC, the RS 220 has the added benefit of allowing me to run the digital signal directly from the CD player into the transceiver, plus it eliminates the need for proper amp matching.  But would the wired setup be distinctly better at this price level?  My listening preferences are, generally, classic rock, some jazz, and a lot of classical.  I'm also open to other options, but I'd like to keep my choices fairly focused.  I welcome your thoughts.

Dec 10, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 3
first, congrats on going big, second, you can always use the guidance thread below to ask for a new setup.

i believe the rs 220 is the wireless one and to be honest unless you want to dance while listening to music, go for the hd 650.
 the hd600 is good but since you have the money I assume, go even bigger

Dec 10, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks.  I should have made that clear: the RS 220 is the new wireless option based on the HD 600 range.  It should be availabe soon, but for the time being it's unavailable.  Sennheiser claims it's similar to both models; Jude has said the RS 220 sounds like a well-amped HD 600.  Wireless does present an advantage, since I do a lot of listening in different parts of the house.  These days, it seems I do more iPod listening (with Bose QC15s) than about anything else, since I can just put the thing in my pocket and move around.  The thought of having Sennheiser level sound with a similar degree of portability (at least in my home - obviously not on the go) is definitely appealing.  But in the end, I want the best overall setup for SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back