HD-600 better than HD-650?
Mar 25, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #46 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
It is cheap looking. The 650 has that way over the 600. But still I gotta go with the sound regardless.

Fair enough! Sound does come first. At the time though, I was coming from the DT880, a can that sounded cold and uninvolving. I wanted as much warmth as I could get, and the HD650 was the ticket!

Mar 27, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #47 of 73
In my first post here, i have to say i am disagreeing with all of you when it comes to the looks of Senn HD 600
eggosmile.gif
Seriously, i LOVE the looks and feeling of quality!! Compared to my HD 595 and my Beyerdynamic DT 931, they both look and sound awesome on my Rega amp!! But ofcourse the reproduction of music is why i am going too keep them
orphsmile.gif

Mar 27, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #49 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
As well, I figured "why not just go for the top?"

That was my original point, though. When people shop for a Sennheiser w/o having heard them before, some assume that the 650 is at the top because of the price and numbering. But that isn't necessarily the case to some people that have heard both the 650 and the 600. It's all subjective, and I personally don't believe that the 650 is at the "top of the heap" per se. YMMV.

Mar 27, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #50 of 73
I’ve listened to them both with and without a ZuCable cable on each.

I like the HD-600‘s better.
If someone gave me a free pair of 650’s, I’d sell them and buy a 600.

My opinion. I also like the AKG 701’s; maybe better then the 600, maybe not.

I think the 650’s vocal is overly pronounced with a flatter soundstage, are bass shy in comparison and have too much (distracting) detail. There are plenty of headphones out there that have even more detail and if you like that then that’s great – enjoy yourself! Someone posted somewhat of an opposite opinion. Umm, oh well to each his own and to each his opinion. Maybe it’s the amp used or the material listening too but that’s not what I hear. I mostly use my VanAlstine T7 preamp and an Arcam FMJ CD23 source. The 600’s have a deep, somewhat dark and lush sound that is in my opinion one of the best sounding headphones made.

Mar 27, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #51 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by boead
I think the 650’s vocal is overly pronounced with a flatter soundstage, are bass shy in comparison...

This is an interesting observation because I'd always thought the 650s had MORE bass than the 600s?

Mar 27, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #52 of 73
After using (and really enjoying) 650's for a while, I decided to get a pair of 600's to hear the difference. I ultimately decided to go back to the 650's because I found that they just sound bigger, without any loss of detail (I find the 650 has more detail). I don't really think of the 650 as coloring the music as much as I think of the 600 as flattening it which may come across as "more neutral" somehow.

mjb

Mar 27, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #53 of 73
confused.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
This is an interesting observation because I'd always thought the 650s had MORE bass than the 600s?

I have to chime in on this one because I've also never understood the whole "650's have more bass" crap.

Having owned both the HD600's and now the HD650's, I have to say that the 600's had more bass due to the midbass hump. The HD650's have the most neutral bass I've ever heard; whereas I found the HD600's slightly bass heavy. This is all IMO of course.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boead
I think the 650’s vocal is overly pronounced with a flatter soundstage, are bass shy in comparison and have too much (distracting) detail. There are plenty of headphones out there that have even more detail and if you like that then that’s great – enjoy yourself!

Comments like this really make me go
confused.gif
and really make me realize why designing a new headphone is a lose-lose situation for any company. I just don't understand how more detail, especially in the form that the HD650's brings it out as, can be a bad thing.

If I remember correctly, there were several things that people complained about with the HD600's; they were:

-Slightly withdrawn midrange
-Too much midbass
-Slightly harsh highs

The HD650 took it upon itself to improve on these factors and did so; the kind of whiplash I've seen against this headphone is kind of rediculous IMO. It'll be interesting to see what the HD700 is going to bring to table and to see what kind of criticisms it will get.

Mar 27, 2006 at 6:12 AM Post #54 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sennbrandsen
In my first post here, i have to say i am disagreeing with all of you when it comes to the looks of Senn HD 600
eggosmile.gif
Seriously, i LOVE the looks and feeling of quality!! Compared to my HD 595 and my Beyerdynamic DT 931, they both look and sound awesome on my Rega amp!! But ofcourse the reproduction of music is why i am going too keep them
orphsmile.gif

Welcome, sorry about your wallet...

Mar 27, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #55 of 73
I had the hd580 and hd650 and were contemplating which one to get rid of. For me, the hd580 highs and lows goes deeper, but the overall sound is more coarse. I went with the hd650 because he was more musical and easier to listen.

Mar 27, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #56 of 73
Quote:

Fair enough! Sound does come first. At the time though, I was coming from the DT880, a can that sounded cold and uninvolving. I wanted as much warmth as I could get, and the HD650 was the ticket!

I feel that the 600 with the Cardas cable does just that - it provides warmth while enhancing all areas. The stock cable on the 600 leans towards the colder side of things.

But I think part of why I like the 600's is because I also have the Grado RS-1's - so I am not looking for a warm romantic phone (the RS-1 provides that). I really just wanted the most neutral, accurate phone to compliment the RS-1, so I went with the 600. But I understand why the 650 is popular, becuase it has some qualities that appeal to audiophiles.

I think it's fun, and I don't think one is better. Because it all depends on what your looking for. Either way, the 650 definately did not make the 600 a moot point to say the least - just like the RS-1 didn't make the older Grado phones a mute point.

Mar 27, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #57 of 73
Quote:

I feel that the 600 with the Cardas cable does just that - it provides warmth while enhancing all areas. The stock cable on the 600 leans towards the colder side of things.

But I think part of why I like the 600's is because I also have the Grado RS-1's - so I am not looking for a warm romantic phone (the RS-1 provides that). I really just wanted the most neutral, accurate phone to compliment the RS-1, so I went with the 600. But I understand why the 650 is popular, becuase it has some qualities that appeal to audiophiles.

I think it's fun, and I don't think one is better. Because it all depends on what your looking for. Either way, the 650 definately did not make the 600 a moot point to say the least - just like the RS-1 didn't make the older Grado phones a mute point. But no one can be faulted for picking either one as their favorite
icon10.gif

Mar 27, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #58 of 73
Why argue over 2 headphones? Buy what you want and thats it.
Really you should just get yourselves the Koss KSC75 and run!!! Run far away from this place!!! Save your wallets now while you still can!!!!
eek.gif

Mar 27, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #59 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321

I think it's fun, and I don't think one is better. Because it all depends on what your looking for. Either way, the 650 definately did not make the 600 a moot point to say the least - just like the RS-1 didn't make the older Grado phones a mute point. But no one can be faulted for picking either one as their favorite
icon10.gif

Yeah I agree.

The veil associated with the 600’s is almost entirely lifted with a better cable. Even the 650 cable makes an improvement.
A friend has the ZuCable and its great! I made my own with some silver clad copper wire that sounds nice, very similar to the ZuCable.

The answer to the threads question; HD-600 better than HD-650? Is no, just different and depends on your taste. If the answer was yes the 600’s would have been discontinued already. Its not like Sennheiser is shy on models.

Mar 27, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #60 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by markot86
confused.gif

I have to chime in on this one because I've also never understood the whole "650's have more bass" crap.

Having owned both the HD600's and now the HD650's, I have to say that the 600's had more bass due to the midbass hump. The HD650's have the most neutral bass I've ever heard; whereas I found the HD600's slightly bass heavy. This is all IMO of course.

I'm glad you elaborated on your statement because given your midbass hump explanation, I think our difference in opinion hinges more on our respective definitions of "more bass" than anything else. So instead of trying to quantify exactly what constitutes "more bass" I will shift over to qualitative terms -- I've personally found the 600 to be more balanced, and the 650 to have a darker, warmer feel; not sure if you might agree with that?

P.S. I would appreciate it if you edited your post so that the second half of your response showed exactly who you are replying to. Right now, it looks as if you were replying to a continuation of my post, when in actuality, it was written by someone else. Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back