HD 598 vs HD 600 (which has more detail)
Jan 18, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #31 of 91
  Well I'm using the Asgard 2 and Modi and this computer I'm using is custom built be me.
And I use iTunes XD
All my music is ripped directly from CD to ALAC Lossless files

But what is the problem scenario? Computer directly to HD598's? If so what sound card or is that motherboard audio?

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #33 of 91
  No, I'm using my Modi which is plugged in via USB into computer. The Modi is of course plugged into the Asgard 2 which my cans are plugged in haha

And you say that turning up the volume makes it sound worse? You're joshing, right?

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #35 of 91
I've also got a Modi/Asgard2 combo on the way from Schiit, and have similar musical tastes. Very interested in people's viewpoints in HP's that fit this setup. Currently have Sony MDR-V6 phones (my first set in years), and am looking to add another pair. Tried my son's A-T M50's, and they were fairly good, but looking for something a step up from that. The 598's are something to consider, as well as the HiFiman HE-400, and V-Moda M100.

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #36 of 91
^ Well I'm looking for something that has no color and sounds closest to the original recording and something that has alot of detail and a natural sound in bass and a decent amount of Soundstage (Not to big). Therefore I'm looking into the HD 600's :)

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #37 of 91
^ My bad, I was saying I'm thinking of the He-400 and M100. I worded it wrong when I said "something to consider", and didn't mean it as a suggestion for you. My apologies.

Definitely following suggestions made for you though, since I'm going to have the same DAC/amp combo. I just want to try out the Modi with the Asgard2 before springing for the Bifrost. :)

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #38 of 91
Thats my question haha I wonder what the Bifrost Uber sounds like because I really want to upgrade it it in the future. (I heard theres better seperation and air, and details are brought out a little more)

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #39 of 91
  It sounds more crisp with the volume down and how I would here it on the stereo/speakers (speakers sound more crisper for some reason)

That doesn't make sense. The human ear has a FR that changes with loudness, We perceive less bass and treble at lower volumes, Fletcher-Munson / Loudness Contour. Do the cans respond in the same way with another chain of audio gear?
By the way, if you're looking at HD600's, they are awesome,  the bee's knees.

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #40 of 91
  That doesn't make sense. The human ear has a FR that changes with loudness, We perceive less bass and treble at lower volumes, Fletcher-Munson / Loudness Contour. Do the cans respond in the same way with another chain of audio gear?
By the way, if you're looking at HD600's, they are awesome,  the bee's knees.

YES THEY DO :frowning2:
So If I turn the volume down the bass drum sounds crispy, the toms sound crispy and then I hear the snapy/poppy snare sound which I want.

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #41 of 91
  YES THEY DO :frowning2:
So If I turn the volume down the bass drum sounds crispy, the toms sound crispy and then I hear the snapy/poppy snare sound which I want.

Maybe there's something wrong with the cans.

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #44 of 91
It better sound darn good for the $350 price premium over the Modi. If it is that good, then I don't have a problem upgrading.

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #45 of 91
I should mention that I am budgeting $300-500 for my next set of cans. Closed or open, but probably leaning towards closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back