HD 429 vs. HD 419 vs. ATH SJ55 vs. ATH RE70
May 6, 2014 at 8:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

trisha23

New Head-Fier
Only recently have I discovered this world that audiophiles have been living in. I'm a music lover, much like any other teenager in this world, and I'm an instrumentalist. For the past few weeks I've been getting more and more into the EDM genre, HD songs (not settling for mp3 files now!), DJ mixes, and the like. I don't have a lot of money and space, so I'm a big fan of headphones (not speakers).

Right now I have a cheap but working Pioneer headset, a Philips SHL9450, and a pair of Apple earbuds. I'm not satisfied with any of the three. I've decided to buy a new pair! This time I want it to be a first step towards the audiophile world. I'm choosing among Sennheiser HD 429, Sennheiser HD 419, Audio Technica SJ55, and Audio Technica RE70.

If you have any other suggestions (maximum price is more or less $35), please don't hesitate to tell me! I'm definitely in need of expert guidance.

Sennheiser HD 429
Lowest price I can find: $47.00
Rank (in this website): #159 In Over-Ear
What I like about it: I love its appearance, I know Sennheiser is a good brand, and it's more comfortable than the ATH SJ55.
What I dislike about it: It's the most expensive among these 3 headphones that I'm choosing from. I'm not sure if this would be worth the extra cash; it's already over my tight budget limit.

Sennheiser HD 419
Lowest price I can find: $39.00
Rank (in this website): #130 In Over-Ear
What I like about it: It looks really good, they say it has amazing bass, and it has a couple of good reviews.
What I don't like about it: They say it has very thin cable? That doesn't sound very nice. And somebody also mentioned that this is just a headset made for the masses who want better earphones for their mp3 players--not an audiophile choice.

Audio Technica ATH SJ55
Lowest price I can find: $39.00
Rank (in this website): #170 In Over-Ear
What I like about it: So far, all of the reviews I've read are all positive. Lots of people love it! I love its appearance as much as I love the Sennheiser HD 429. I'm actually leaning more on this pair of headset, especially since I've heard that the audiophiles who are in tight budgets would opt for this one.
What I dislike about it: I've heard many reviews about it being uncomfortable. What makes me think twice about this is if I should spend a bit more money for the Sennheiser HD 429 instead... I don't know which would be a safer bet.

Audio Technica ATH RE70
Lowest price I can find: $29.00
Rank (in this website): #113 In On-Ear
What I like about it: My brother has this! I've been wanting to have my own for the longest time. I'm a basshead, so this really caught my attention. I'm no expert, but I found the bass full and rich (compared to my Apple and Philips earbuds). This headset is the cheapest among my choices too.
What I dislike about it: I read a lot of reviews about its bass being sluggish. I honestly have nothing else better to compare to at the moment, so I can't verify. Additionally, I'm not really sure if this set is really a good headset, or I just haven't heard anything better yet.

May 6, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #3 of 7
  "I'm definitely in need of expert guidance.". I'm not the best person for this, but maybe I can help. The Senn HD 202 is a good option for you too. give it a look

Cheap build, poor comfort and unbalanced sound, I wouldn't recommend it.

I personally would recommend saving more, otherwise you'll just end up wanting to replace these in a few months.

May 6, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #5 of 7

Cheap build, poor comfort and unbalanced sound, I wouldn't recommend it.

I personally would recommend saving more, otherwise you'll just end up wanting to replace these in a few months.

I thought EDM was electronic music, maybe I'm wrong. and yes, they are poorly buildt and not that comfortable. but I kinda liked them for 20 bucks

May 6, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #6 of 7
  What set would you recommend me save up for? There has got to be sets that aren't that obnoxiously expensive yet produce amazing sound.

What exactly are you looking for?
Home use only or does portability matter?
What will you be using them with, phone, computer, amp etc?
Does isolation matter to you?

May 6, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #7 of 7
What exactly are you looking for?
I'm looking for a headset that I could get for less than $35, but I want them to be good enough to be a first step towards audiophile level. Of course, I also want it to look and feel good, but the sound quality is more important for me. The 4 models I've mentioned are the best that I myself could find; I'm slightly biased to Audio-Technica and Sennheiser (just a personal preference).

Home use only or does portability matter?
It matters less for me; it's not that important.

What will you be using them with, phone, computer, amp etc?
I will be using them with my iPhone 4 and MacBook Pro. I plan to get HD music, anything beyond the usual mp3 files.

Does isolation matter to you?
Yes! I would like outside sounds to stay outside as much as possible, and all the sounds coming from the headset sealed for my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back