HD 380 pro VS ATH-M50
Jul 15, 2010 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

linshu1992

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone.

I want to buy a good pair of phones between $100 and $200. After tons of research, I am very impressed by HD 380 pro and ATH-M50. I don't know much about headphones so if you know any other superb phones, please don't hesitate to recommend.

Some info about my use:

I use them for music played by my Macbook Pro and iPod touch 2nd generation without any amp. 

I mostly listen to R&B, New Age (including a lot of piano and other pure instrumental music), Movie Soundtrack (including lots of symphonies), Hip Pop, Electronic, and maybe some gentle rock. No heavy metal or very load rock.. you know what i mean, I don't like songs that scream. also I'll use the headphones for movies, but I don't play any game.

I want the feeling that I am really in that environment with music floating around. I suppose this requires a good soundstage? Also I want music to be very clear and detailed. The more nuances, the better. I am not a huge bass fan (sometimes when I listen to stereo I would even turn down the bass part), but obviously I do expect headphones to produce better bass than my current earphones (Senn MX90VC and ipod included earphones). 

I will use my headphones in dorm and library, and occasionally on VERY long flight. So i want noise isolation to be good, blocking out much of flight noise and not bothering others even in quiet place. also I want them to be comfortable even after wearing them for hours (for long time study and long flight)

There is not much discussion about the comparison between HD 380 pro and M50, yet from what I found, I think I am now leaning toward HD 380 pro for their better detailed sound and soundstage, and no sweaty problem. But M50 are said to have better treble extension and low end, and their sound is warmer. In where I live, HD 380 and m50 have basically the same price, with HD 380 even a little less expensive. 

Just for your reference, the best two comparison sites I found:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/508572-sennheiser-hd380-pro-vs-audiotechnica-ath-m50.html

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/408443/2-weeks-with-the-ath-m50   (post #13)

I will add here any new thought I have. Any suggestion would be appreciated! Sorry about my English.

Jul 15, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 18
A lot of people over here are going to recommend the M50.

Jul 15, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #3 of 18
I do expect that, as so many people are using them and thrilled by them. I just want some unbiased comments if possible.
wink.gif

Jul 15, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #4 of 18
Don't get the HD 380 Pro if you're going to be using them on an air plane, the isolation isn't that good. It leaks quite a lot of sound for a closed can. From what i've read the M50 has much better isolation. Comfort is very good though.

Sound wise i actually was quite disappointed by the HD 380. I find the bass to be a bit bloated and it feels like there is a veil over your music. Some people like it though because it has a relaxed, laid back sound.

I recommend checking out the Shure SRH750DJ. It offers better isolation than the HD 380 and has a clearer and more accurate sound.

I've never heard the M50, but from what i've read the SRH750DJ sounds a bit better. I'm enjoying mine a lot for sure.

Jul 15, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #5 of 18
I highly recommend the Shure SRH 840's from your description of music. Very detailed with each and every sound. It has enough noise cancellation as they are closed headphones. In contract you won't get the soundstage your looking for as NC and SS don't go together. Don't get me wrong though.. it is there but can't compare to other open headphones.

Since your not a big bass fan these headphones would also be right for you. The bass is quite neutral and very detailed. Description would be deep detailed bass.. not punchie and in your face.

They sound great unamped and they are very easy to drive.

I own a pair myself and I'm an avid basshead (i use different headphones/IEM's for that genre) but sometimes you want to enjoy other aspects of music and sound.

Jul 15, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #6 of 18

Quote:
Don't get the HD 380 Pro if you're going to be using them on an air plane, the isolation isn't that good. It leaks quite a lot of sound for a closed can. From what i've read the M50 has much better isolation. Comfort is very good though.

Sound wise i actually was quite disappointed by the HD 380. I find the bass to be a bit bloated and it feels like there is a veil over your music. Some people like it though because it has a relaxed, laid back sound.

I recommend checking out the Shure SRH750DJ. It offers better isolation than the HD 380 and has a clearer and more accurate sound.

I've never heard the M50, but from what i've read the SRH750DJ sounds a bit better. I'm enjoying mine a lot for sure.

Thanks a lot! that's very good to know. I only use very occasionally on air planes, like no more than twice a year. So this I could tolerate. I can kinda imagine the "laid back sound", but not sure if I will like it.

I did a brief research about SRH750 and it seems like it does sound better than M50, and has even MORE bass than M50. The comfort seems to be an issue with all Shure headphones? I remember people talking about too much weight on SRH 840.

I really wish I could try them by myself, but there is no store around here having all these phones.

Jul 15, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #7 of 18

Quote:
I highly recommend the Shure SRH 840's from your description of music. Very detailed with each and every sound. It has enough noise cancellation as they are closed headphones. In contract you won't get the soundstage your looking for as NC and SS don't go together. Don't get me wrong though.. it is there but can't compare to other open headphones.

Since your not a big bass fan these headphones would also be right for you. The bass is quite neutral and very detailed. Description would be deep detailed bass.. not punchie and in your face.

I own a pair myself and I'm an avid basshead (i use different headphones/IEM's for that genre) but sometimes you want to enjoy other aspects of music and sound.

Yeah, I have looked into SRH 840. From your experience, how was their comfort?

Jul 15, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #8 of 18

Quote:

Yes, I have looked into them. How was their comfort from your experience? 

Jul 15, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #9 of 18

Quote:
 I did a brief research about SRH750 and it seems like it does sound better than M50, and has even MORE bass than M50.

MORE bass? no.. MORE detailed bass? yes.

Quote:
 I remember people talking about too much weight on SRH 840.

I would say this all depends on each person. They are large headphones so I can imagine them being uncomfortable on some people.

But I personally don't think the ATH-M50's are suited for youself if you don't want full punchie bass.

Jul 15, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #10 of 18

Quote:

MORE bass? no.. MORE detailed bass? yes.

Quote:
 I would say this all depends on each person. They are large headphones so I can imagine them being uncomfortable on some people.

But I personally don't think the ATH-M50's are suited for youself if you don't want full punchie bass.

Wow, thank you. This is very helpful. ATH-M50's bass is indeed one thing that holds me back.

Jul 15, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #11 of 18
I didn't like the 380 Pro at all.  I found it to indeed have a slightly "veiled" sound, harsh highs, and a bit of a cave-like echo.

I would seriously consider the K 271 MkII, which is a fantastic closed headphone as long as boomy bass isn't important.  No sweat problems (with valour pads), nice detail, and a wide soundstage (for a closed headphone anyways).  They are also quite comfortable, and isolation is pretty good.

Jul 15, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
I didn't like the 380 Pro at all.  I found it to indeed have a slightly "veiled" sound, harsh highs, and a bit of a cave-like echo.

I would seriously consider the K 271 MkII, which is a fantastic closed headphone as long as boomy bass isn't important.  No sweat problems (with valour pads), nice detail, and a wide soundstage (for a closed headphone anyways).  They are also quite comfortable, and isolation is pretty good.

Yes, I was considering them. Just that K 271 MkII are not so portable, and their look deviates from my type. But thanks for the recommendation!

Is the echo of 380 pro very bad? I mean, I won't mind if people have to sharpen their ears to detect it.

Jul 16, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #14 of 18
You can tune the M50 bass w/ tape and bring out the mids.  I have heard the Shure 840 treble can get a bit harsh and/or sibilant.  I have no tolerance for that so I crossed them off my list.  You seem more detail and analytical in your signature preference, the M50's are a more engaging type of fun phone, you sort of set it and forget it.  If you want to find detail you can in the M50 but it doesn't throw it our at you.  Try the 750DJ or the Sennheiser HD25's if you can find them cheap.  Perhaps Ultrasone 780's.  S-Logic plus sounds like it has your name written on it.

Jul 16, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #15 of 18

Quote:

Yes, I was considering them. Just that K 271 MkII are not so portable, and their look deviates from my type. But thanks for the recommendation!

Is the echo of 380 pro very bad? I mean, I won't mind if people have to sharpen their ears to detect it.

Well, it's all about scale; most people probably wouldn't notice or mind.  I couldn't live with those things, and I bit the restocking fee and returned them.

It's a decent headphone for $100, but for $200 I felt they were way overpriced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back