HD-25 cable upgrade?
Feb 2, 2006 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

fbxpup

New Head-Fier
I was wondering what cable upgrade options are there for the Sennheiser HD-25? How is the left channel run to the other side, is it inside the plastic headband? Can a thicker cable be used, such as the HD-650 stock cable or are the plugs not compatible? Also, where can I get the velour pads for the HD-25 headphones.

Thank you for any responses.

Feb 2, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #2 of 17
Hi,
and welcome to headfi

there are more threads describing this, but here goes:

Yes the cable going to the left side fits in a groove in the headband. The HD600 and 650 connectors fit, but the cable will not fit in the headband groove, and the cable for HD6XX is of equal length for both left and right. It is not the case with the HD25-1 where the left side cable is longer.

You can get the OFC cable for it, part no 74532 , but it is 3m / 10ft and has a 1/4" connector, but it will fit in the groove and has the correct lengths
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know where you live, but it is not available in the US. Perhaps someone would chime in with alternatives.

The velour pads are available from http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail...ct_prod=069417 for example.

Edit: doh, i meant the HD650 cable will not fit in the headband groove. HD580/600 cable will fit tight, a ruler might come in handy.

Feb 2, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 17
Yes, thru the headband............only cable to buy for it (because of unequal lengths to the connectors) w/copper core is the one made for HD25-13. As of a week or so ago, Senn. USA would not take orders for it, but tech said he wanted them to get a few. For now the place I can suggest is http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_artikel...1322ccac8d5e0b .............there is, however a minimum purchase of $25 and shipping cost is almost equal - but you could consider lots of stuff to make up the shortfall.

Feb 2, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy
Yes, thru the headband............only cable to buy for it (because of unequal lengths to the connectors) w/copper core is the one made for HD25-13. As of a week or so ago, Senn. USA would not take orders for it, but tech said he wanted them to get a few. For now the place I can suggest is http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_artikel...1322ccac8d5e0b .............there is, however a minimum purchase of $25 and shipping cost is almost equal - but you could consider lots of stuff to make up the shortfall.

My understanding is they don't ship to the US. The 650 cable will work quite well, but you have to turn the cups upside down. They just pull off the headband and you can reverse it. I can't remember the reference number for the 650, but you can get it at the SennUSA website. You can also get the velour pads there.

Feb 2, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #5 of 17
I'm using the HD 580 cable and it fits in the headband groove. Sounds a lot like my SR 225, great for electric guitar (Clapton, SRV, etc.) Of course, this is how it sounds to me, others may not agree.

Feb 2, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #6 of 17
Glad this thread appeared...I was already planning to put my HD600 cable onto my HD25 tomorrow now that my Cardas cable arrived for the 600. Think I might flip the cups as that sounds like the tidiest solution. I'll post a pic or two when I'm done & let you know how it sounds!

Feb 2, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #7 of 17
Bluesdaddy - you are incorrect - they (Thomann) DO ship to the US. It is odd that you quote me, then proceed to ignore the quote by stating they do not ship to the US?? Sure, you can flip the elements - but that was not the thrust of the question. Myself, I built a hybrid utilizing the HD25-1 elements in conjunction with a SP headband, and HD4xx series cable (which have the correct [same] connectors as the orig.) - which means you invert the elements and fabricate 2 pair of spacers because of the difference in width of the SP and -1 (or 13) headband "arms". I really feel my HME25 elements produce slightly better SQ - but overall prefer this hybrid construction for non-DJ listening.

Feb 3, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 17
when i got the OFC replacement cable (the 25-13 cable), i asked them if they could cut it to 1.5m and attach a 3.5mm jack. the hifi-shop did a better job than i could dream to do. with the left cable running through the headband it works just like the original cable, but less stiff and better sounding
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2006 at 10:09 AM Post #9 of 17
I like the idea of flipping the drivers and plugging directly in. I wonder if the Cardas 4 ft cable upgrade would be a bit much for the HD-25? The 650 replacement cable is about $35 and the Cardas is $150 and I am willing to lay out the money if the cardas can squeeze out more range and clarity.

Feb 3, 2006 at 12:06 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by fbxpup
I like the idea of flipping the drivers and plugging directly in. I wonder if the Cardas 4 ft cable upgrade would be a bit much for the HD-25? The 650 replacement cable is about $35 and the Cardas is $150 and I am willing to lay out the money if the cardas can squeeze out more range and clarity.

Well, I would not stick $150 cable on a $150 pair of headphones. Rather get a $300 dollar set of phones, but I'm not marketing cables. (No flames, please - I've been through the "cable wars" on other boards.)

The 650 cable isn't $35, it is only $11.62 plus shipping.

See http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail...ct_prod=092885

Now *that's* a deal!!

Feb 3, 2006 at 12:12 PM Post #11 of 17
One major disadvantage of inverting the earcups and plugging the cable from the bottom is that I kept constantly pulling out the cable for whatever reason. And since I mainly used the HD 25-1 as a portable headphone, this was quite a nuisance.

Feb 3, 2006 at 12:39 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
One major disadvantage of inverting the earcups and plugging the cable from the bottom is that I kept constantly pulling out the cable for whatever reason. And since I mainly used the HD 25-1 as a portable headphone, this was quite a nuisance.

Yeah, I don't use mine for portable use, so inverting the cups hasn't been an issue. I snagged the cable once and thought one side had come unplugged, but it hadn't. From different threads I think the opening for the plugs have enough variance from headphone to headphone to affect the snugness of the 650 cable's plugs. Mine is pretty snug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
Most of it is already mentioned but maybe some of the tips in my sig will help.

*Gotta remember to put this thread in there too*

Saw those links when I was ordering my cable and earpads. In the end, I found it worked best for me to just have the inverted cups and "y" cable. Being a tad anal, I wish I could turn the Senn button on the left side upside down (well, right-side up, now), but that's a trivial issue.

Good links!

Feb 3, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #14 of 17
Thanks for those links Lisa. Just finished mine. It's not perfect, but does the job...

hd25recabled1.jpg

hd25recabled2.jpg

hd25recabled3.jpg

Initial listening impressions are of a clearer, more dynamic sound, although the cans themselves are still running in.

Feb 3, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedalhead
Thanks for those links Lisa. Just finished mine. It's not perfect, but does the job...

Mesmerizing... did you trim the plugs or the jacks on the cups? When I tried to fit my 600 cable into my HD-25 I found that the plugs were way too big to do it...
confused.gif

Then again, maybe I don't even want to know, since it would motivate me to get an Equinox for the 600
very_evil_smiley.gif
- I'd rather stay happy with my OFC cable and the 1/4"->1/8" adaptor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back