HD 25-1 Success Story.
Aug 4, 2004 at 11:13 PM Post #31 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickG
"Current inventory status of item - HD-25
Code Availability
HD-25 Out of Stock "

I had the worst web shopping experience ever with this company a couple of years ago. I ultimately had to get Visa to reverse the charges. I'm not saying that will be your trip, but I would never do business with those hoodlums again...

eek.gif

ouch... thanks for the heads up. i will spend my money elsewhere. (probably headroom, unless i find an outstanding deal).

Aug 4, 2004 at 11:20 PM Post #32 of 60
Anyone know about the reliability of Big Bang Electronics? They have the HD 25-1 for $170 with free shipping. I"m also concerned about how fast they'll ship, I need them by next Friday.

Also, what is the Headroom discount for head-fi members, if one exists? Do they offer free shipping?

Aug 4, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #33 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by bln
Also, what is the Headroom discount for head-fi members, if one exists? Do they offer free shipping?

10% discount... which, IIRC would make the HD-25 about $180. no free shipping that i'm aware of.

Aug 5, 2004 at 12:41 AM Post #34 of 60
I bought mine from Wild West a couple months ago and I received nothing but prompt service.

Aug 5, 2004 at 12:52 AM Post #35 of 60
I just ordered the HD 25-1 from Wild West, came to $166 shipped. I hope it arrives quickly.

Aug 5, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #36 of 60
Chinchy: Thanks again for such thorough explanation on the cable upgrade. You have sparked my curiosity to make them sound more open and I might try it in the future. Ahh, you’re so lucky! You found yours for $75. What a steal.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
i keep hearing great things about these cans... from bangraman, saint.panda and now you, iGig.

it makes me want to get a pair, until i read all they ety ER-4 raves, then i want those, and then i want HD-25... ER-4... HD-25...
blink.gif

VicAjax: If you do a search, you’ll find many other members who like and recommend this headphone. Maybe they’re not too popular because at that price range there are other options that may be better.
For me it was a good buy because portability was my main concern.

I got mine at Guitar Center. I brought a print out from that place you found (Wild West) and from this other place: Federal Stereo

Kudos to Guitar Center, they have always worked with me to keep my business. Their list price was $259 but they still matched it. Some whining may be necessary.
icon10.gif

Good luck with your Ety’s, your HD25s… and whatever comes next.
etysmile.gif
280smile.gif
600smile.gif

Edit: Congrats bln! I hope you like them as much as I do.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #37 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by nierika
I bought mine from Wild West a couple months ago and I received nothing but prompt service.

Man, I'm so glad you did. I just had a very different experience...and it was enough to scare me away.

Even now, they are advertising these phones, but if you click the "availability" tab, they will tell you they're not in stock...

blink.gif

Aug 5, 2004 at 1:59 AM Post #38 of 60
Happy head-fiers...with hd25-1...
There aren't that many good closed cans under $200. I guess hd25 ranks among the best in that category.
Love to find out how hd25 are compared to dt250-250 in sonic performance.

Aug 5, 2004 at 2:05 PM Post #39 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by iGig
VicAjax: If you do a search, you’ll find many other members who like and recommend this headphone. Maybe they’re not too popular because at that price range there are other options that may be better.
For me it was a good buy because portability was my main concern.

yeah, i've done many many searches on ER-4 and HD-25... despite the fact that they're entirely different beasts, they have a lot in common: price, isolation, positive experiences. i guess i just need to decide which attributes i value most. that's why i was wondering whether anyone had had experiences with both and could compare (sorry if i was hijacking your thread).

Quote:

I got mine at Guitar Center. I brought a print out from that place you found (Wild West) and from this other place: Federal Stereo

Kudos to Guitar Center, they have always worked with me to keep my business. Their list price was $259 but they still matched it. Some whining may be necessary.
icon10.gif

Good luck with your Ety’s, your HD25s… and whatever comes next.
etysmile.gif
280smile.gif
600smile.gif

i'll definitely have to try guitar center.... one place near me wouldn't negotiate the $259 retail price a single cent!

thanks for the reply, and the insightful review.

Aug 10, 2004 at 7:23 PM Post #41 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD
Happy head-fiers...with hd25-1...
There aren't that many good closed cans under $200. I guess hd25 ranks among the best in that category.
Love to find out how hd25 are compared to dt250-250 in sonic performance.

The guys I buy my Senn/Beyers from never seem to have the 250-250's in stock. To be frank though, I'm getting tired of doing comparisons because when I do them, there's always someone who thinks they know better (while not having done the equivalent tests). I'm fairly thick-skinned, but after a while, you begin to wonder whether the thousands of dollars you're spending to give comparative reports are actually justified as opposed to the cash-starved fanboys who're defending their gear. So these days I'm mainly buying for myself and not for the benefit of the board.

(sorry if that sounds kind of bitter... I'm not actually bitter, just disappointed that some members don't go the extra mile to validate test results in a wide range of usage parameters... does that make sense?)

In many ways, I can recommend the HD25-1 over the Etys if you are not hypercritical. The HD25-1 gives a generally unassailable performance in terms of tonal representation, whereas apart from the outstanding feeling of 'clarity' offered by the Etymotics (achieved chiefly through jacking up the highs way high and trimming the lows) there's plenty to pick faults with as far as the tonal representation goes.

Aug 10, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #42 of 60
I appreciate your comparisons, Bangraman, and am eagerly awaiting my HD25-1 (which I would have expected to arrive by now).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back