HD 25-1 Success Story.
Aug 4, 2004 at 3:45 AM Post #16 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by iGig
Next, I want to try the ATH-A500, A900 maybe?, then Senns HD600... I'll need an amp for that, might as well go for the DT770... you know how it goes. And if someone arranges a group buy for the HD650 (lol) I'll have to jump on that train as well.
redface.gif
But I swear I can stop buying headphones at any time. (Famous last words)
biggrin.gif

I will be back in LA in less than three weeks now, for your headphone auditioning fun, since the HD650 and DT770 I have aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Of course, tread with caution, you might end up coming away with a serious case of source upgrade syndrome
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2004 at 4:17 PM Post #18 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
I will be back in LA in less than three weeks now, for your headphone auditioning fun, since the HD650 and DT770 I have aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Of course, tread with caution, you might end up coming away with a serious case of source upgrade syndrome
biggrin.gif

Thank you very much Iron_Dreamer.
I would really like to hear your setup, just give me a couple of months of “ignorant bliss” otherwise, my stuff will sound like a transistor radio. I'm not ready for a $erious ca$e of $ource upgrade $yndrome!
I’ll send you a PM in a few weeks. Have all your Symphony X albums ready…
guitar1.gif

Aug 4, 2004 at 4:35 PM Post #19 of 60
Quote:

Thank you very much Iron_Dreamer.
I would really like to hear your setup, just give me a couple of months of “ignorant bliss” otherwise, my stuff will sound like a transistor radio. I'm not ready for a $erious ca$e of $ource upgrade $yndrome!
I’ll send you a PM in a few weeks. Have all your Symphony X albums ready…
guitar1.gif

Oh, just you wait, I've got over 100GB of metal ready to bludgeon you brain
biggrin.gif

580smile.gif
basshead.gif

Aug 4, 2004 at 5:33 PM Post #20 of 60
Damn you, Gigi! Now you've further compounded my conundrum (my conundrum being, of course, "what full-size portable headphone to get"). Between the Beyer 250-80 and the HD25-1, it's a tossup (although I've gotten several strong recommendations for the 25-1; bangraman seems to feel that the 250-80 is worth more as earmuffs than as a headphone). I'm glad you're enjoying your headphone purchase, though.

Am I to understand that these headphones are supraaural? Do you ever experience any discomfort? (Although these velour pads may fix that problem, if it is indeed a problem...)

- Chris

Aug 4, 2004 at 5:55 PM Post #21 of 60
Here are some impromptu teaser pics. I shrunk the pics down a bit from 1024x768 to 800x600, but they're still around 200Kb.

Pic1
Pic2

As you'll notice from the pics, the drivers have been turned upside down so that the cable entry is from below. The stock cable ends have been kept, but then grafted onto some headphile.com solid wire cables. The cable was terminated with switchcraft 1/8". The sound is very pleasing.
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2004 at 6:02 PM Post #22 of 60
Quote:

Oh, just you wait, I've got over 100GB of metal ready to bludgeon you brain
biggrin.gif

OK I_D… that settles it.
I’ll sell my corneas and I’ll come over ASAP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
Damn you, Gigi! Now you've further compounded my conundrum (my conundrum being, of course, "what full-size portable headphone to get"). Between the Beyer 250-80 and the HD25-1, it's a tossup (although I've gotten several strong recommendations for the 25-1; bangraman seems to feel that the 250-80 is worth more as earmuffs than as a headphone). I'm glad you're enjoying your headphone purchase, though.

Am I to understand that these headphones are supraaural? Do you ever experience any discomfort? (Although these velour pads may fix that problem, if it is indeed a problem...)

- Chris

Bless you Chris. I apologize for messing with your conundrum, I try my best not to do such things.
biggrin.gif

Yes, they are supraaural. I was lucky enough to get a perfect seal with the px200, and I’m getting the same results with the 25-1. I imagine they will mold to my ears just as much.
I’m enjoying them a lot, they’ve been on me for 3 hours already and they don’t bother me at all. If I sweat on them I don’t mind because I’m marking territory and my sweat smells like roses.
wink.gif
I’m getting the velour pads for sure, because… why not?
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 4, 2004 at 6:12 PM Post #23 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinchy
You have to be a little bit more careful of the cable, but it's a great mod!

Woah Chinchy, thanks for the pics.
How much careful would I have to be? These are my rollerblading phones now and I don't want to baby them too much.
I see now you have double sided cable. Do you like that better? The upside down drivers look good.
cool.gif

Aug 4, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #24 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
Between the Beyer 250-80 and the HD25-1, it's a tossup (although I've gotten several strong recommendations for the 25-1; bangraman seems to feel that the 250-80 is worth more as earmuffs than as a headphone).

The 250-80's are FANTASTIC earmuffs. Comfy and snug. Disconnect the cable assembly and you're set. Which reminds me, which earmuff phones for this winter?
eggosmile.gif

I can't say 'seriously though' at this point since I was actually using them as earmuffs, wearing the E5's inside. I've owned god knows how many closed phones, and I keep coming back to the HD25-1 (I also seem to have V700's repeatedly thrust upon me or need to buy them for one reason or another, but that's another story). The major flaws I can pick are the grado-like comparative lack of soundstage, sibilance is a possibility and there's a propensity for your earlobes to get very sweaty in summer (although with the velour pads referred to above you might get away with it, albeit with less isolation).

Apart from that, they are the most efficient/compatible headphones out there (they will even work acceptably from a 0.5mw Sony Discman), one of the most durable, tractable and isolating 'full-size' phones. And for all this you don't pay a significant sonic penalty, if at all. That's got to be good.

Aug 4, 2004 at 6:46 PM Post #25 of 60
Quote:

Woah Chinchy, thanks for the pics.
How much careful would I have to be? These are my rollerblading phones now and I don't want to baby them too much.
I see now you have double sided cable. Do you like that better? The upside down drivers look good.
cool.gif

Since it's a solid wire, you have to be careful not to kink the wire and then pull. The cable itself is very flexible though. Worst case scenario, what you can do is to get the cable modded, and then buy another stock cable for the 27 bucks that SennheiserUSA is selling them for, and use the stock cables for rollerblading, and then the good cables for other times when you're not rollerblading. The downside with the recable though is that the cables are not secured. If you'll notice on the stock headphones, the cable first goes to the right side where it gets secured in place by a screwed on plate. And then from there it separates out into the shorter right-side cable and the longer left-side cable. So if you tug on the cable, it won't detach from the drivers, especially since the driver entry is from the top. But after recabling, the driver entry is from the bottom, and it is not secured, so if you tug on the cable, it could potentially detach from the drivers. Just something to be aware of.

As for double sided vs single sided, the double sided cable is fine since I don't DJ anyway. But it does make it easier because otherwise the cable to the left driver has to go through the headband, which the new cable can't fit in anyway.

But it sounds so good. Ahhh! I see you have the SR225 as well. You will notice with the HD25 that there are many details that come up to the forefront more, and you will become more aware of things that you didn't hear with the SR225. It is probably attributable in part to the isolation of the HD25, which helps you to hear things better. For a kick, try listening to that binaural recording of the person shaking the matchsticks, as it was very realistic, and the first headphone that I heard that actually made it sound as if the matchbox was in front of me. The problem though is that with the stock cable, sometimes the headphones sound a little tinny, and has that constrained "closed" character. With the cable, it sounds more open. It's great!

Aug 4, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #26 of 60
i keep hearing great things about these cans... from bangraman, saint.panda and now you, iGig.

it makes me want to get a pair, until i read all they ety ER-4 raves, then i want those, and then i want HD-25... ER-4... HD-25...
blink.gif

anyone have experience with both? and care to comment?

Aug 4, 2004 at 10:01 PM Post #27 of 60
Quote:

Price: $160 is the lowest I could find.

oh... and where did you find them for $160? that seems to be a darn good price.

Aug 4, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #28 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
oh... and where did you find them for $160? that seems to be a darn good price.

Hee hee, I got mine used for $75. Best $75 I ever spent on headphones. Hee hee!

Aug 4, 2004 at 10:23 PM Post #29 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinchy
Hee hee, I got mine used for $75. Best $75 I ever spent on headphones. Hee hee!

:jealous!:

maybe i should post a WTB

i just found them for $159.95 here, with reasonable shipping (about $6 ground)...

and they seem to have good ratings too.

Aug 4, 2004 at 10:52 PM Post #30 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
:jealous!:

maybe i should post a WTB

i just found them for $159.95 here, with reasonable shipping (about $6 ground)...

and they seem to have good ratings too.

"Current inventory status of item - HD-25
Code Availability
HD-25 Out of Stock "

I had the worst web shopping experience ever with this company a couple of years ago. I ultimately had to get Visa to reverse the charges. I'm not saying that will be your trip, but I would never do business with those hoodlums again...

eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back